All reviews guest house cave dwellings middle atlas local family local life lovely guesthouse other guests the owner rooftop terrace visit fes moroccan village village tour charming town tiny village naima french livelihood
Reviewed 29 July 2018

On the one hand I would not like to see more tourists visit Bhalil. It was the most authentic, unspoilt village with unique traditions and cave dwellings. I hope that it can remain unspoilt. On the other hand, it is a fascinating destination, not far from Fez and worth the visit. Kamal is a well travelled, responsible tourist operator who gives back to the community and seems prepared to spearhead eco travel in the village. The guest house contains many Moroccan treasures. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and the food cooked by Naima was fabulous. Kamal and Naima are very generous hosts.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucienne A
Reviewed 24 June 2018

At first the sight of Bhalil was a shock. The litter is a real problem. It does look like a third world town. But beneath the ugliness there is a beauty to be discovered. For instance we were shown a cave house that had been lived in by an artist and was now being kept as an attraction. It was like being in a Dali painting. There are apparently 500 cave houses in this town but most are unrestored. A guided tour is necessary to find these cave houses. The Guest house is nice. We had dinner with Kamal and his chef. Great Moroccan home cooking. Breakfast was served on the rooftop terrace. He told us about his plans to restore and renew Bhalil. His passion is quite infectious. His dream is to clean up this little village and turn it into the gem it could so easily become. I wish him luck!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Bhalil is a small town in the middle Atlas mountains. You can visit the cave dwellings in Bhalil with Kamal and he will explain about local life. We also walked to Sefrou which is nearby and has a large medina. If you want you can easily visit Fes from Bhalil. The highlight was a 28 km walk through the mountains with Kamal and two other guests. As he speaks Arabic, French, German and English he can translate between guests if necessary. Evening meals (cooked by Naima) are around a large table and are highly recommended.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Kamal is the best tour guide I've had over several trips to Morocco. He's super passionate about his country and its people, history and culture. He provides deeply authentic visits that include lots of spontaneous contact with locals. I highly recommended spending a day on a local tour with Kamal!
Kamal and his house manager Naima even took us with them to the public hammam in Sefrou which was a delightful experience!

The guesthouse itself is simple. It's not spacious, but the rooftop terrace is fantastic. The food cooked by Naima was some of the best we had in Morocco. Top notch hospitality.

Room Tip: The uppermost room next to the Tera e is the most private.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2018

The first time I’ve met Kamal was during a lecture on Jewish history in Fez. He was well versed in a number of languages. My purpose for being in
Morocco was to do an art project on migration and culture studies.
Part of this was photographing and talking to Berber people.
In Morocco culture, it’s almost impossible to work with women especial as a foreign man. Kamal was very supportive and encouraging, he helped by finding models and allowing me to use his lovely guesthouse as a studio.

On another occasion, Kamal brought Berber women to my studio in near town of Sefrou to be photographed. This was the beginning of me understanding Kamal’s generosity as well as his support of arts and culture. Next kamal took me to meet local carpenter called Latef who was an amazing artist in close by cave. While going around to photograph
kamal would translate for me talk to local people so they were more open to telling stories and chatting with me via me via kamal.

Then whenever we had dinner, whatever was left would be given to a local family
who couldn’t afford to eat in the same way. giving is food that had never been touched, food from the central tajine pot that no Guest touched with his hands of mouth, every guest is helped by Naima with a big spoon, so the food was always Hygienic.
Kamal also had a great love for the music of all kind which I appreciated. He gave me new artists
to listen to which we’re all amazing. Try Xavier Naidoo !!!! you would love it

Next, I’ll move on to Naima, what a woman. She was the light of my
whole trip. Although she didn’t speak much English, we spoke via sign
language and different forms of facial gestures. Naima make’s every
dish with love of all of Morocco. She all has a smile that can light up
a room. Her dishes we’re beyond the world. She was also modest and
respectful and helpful. She also helped me out with my project and was
always willing to help in any way she could. Which could be holding a
reflector or helping me with bags.

I woke up to an amazing sunrise and amazing breakfast on the roof top,
where you can see the beautiful city of Bhalil, so many vibrant
colors.