“A wonderful little oasis in Yokdzonot”

Yucatan Mayan Retreat, Ecohotel & Camping
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Yucatan Mayan Retreat was easy to find down a little dirt tract. On arrival, we were greeted by Jorge the owner, who appeared fluent in several languages including English. Although we already had our own itinerary worked out he was on hand to provide advice and information if you needed. There were a few teething problems as we were 24 hrs late due to a detour to Canada. These were soon sorted out and even sooner forgotten about. Jorge showed us round and provided me with a much needed beer after our long journey and offered his services in taking me to buy some before the shop closed.

After a busy day out site seeing it was a pleasure to return to this little oasis to unwind and relax. The trees provided shade and there was always something beautiful to see from a bird to a butterfly or a tree frog. It was lovely to relax in an open space away from noise, and even lovelier that you didn’t have to sleep in a tent to be able to do it. It was also lovely to get up at sunrise, sit outside your room and be serenaded by the songs of exotic birds.

If I ever go back to this part of the Yucatan I will definitely stay there again – but maybe this time I will be lucky enough to rent the suite with the bath and not the one with the shower (although I spent so much time chatting with new friends that I am not sure I would have had chance to use it even if I did have it). We loved everything about the place, from its setting to the wonderful people we met while we were there. If you like to have nature around you it is definitely worth the short taxi/bus ride to Chichen Itza to stay here rather than one of the larger, more expensive hotels. So thank you Jorge for having the vision to build this.

Our room was clean, large and comfortable with an enormous bathroom. It had more mod cons than I am sure you would need. The living area had a bed, sofa, table and chairs, coffee maker, tv complete with several channels in English and Spanish, dvd player, safe and fridge (although Jorge advised us that the large fridge freezer in the communal kitchen worked much better). There was plenty of cupboard space in the living area and bathroom but there was not anywhere to hang anything.

There was mosquito netting on the windows. Although, if mosquitoes are a concern and it is mosquito season (it was not when we were there) you may want to take your own net as I am not if they may still get in through the gaps around and under the doors (or roll up a sarong to put under the door as we did). The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels provided. Outside our room we had a little table and chairs and a hammock.

The communal kitchen was pretty much complete with everything from microwave, cooker, coffee maker to cutlery, pans and plates – even a ceiling fan. The only thing it did not have was a kettle but water was easily boiled in a pan on the stove. Even though guests cleaned up after themselves Jorge kept everything spotlessly clean by cleaning it every morning. There was always a large container of bottled water for guests use.

At present, there are 2 mayan suites, one mayan house and several spaces for tents so there is accommodation to suite every budget. The way it was set up you could both keep your privacy and stay with the party you were vacationing with (as we saw several parties do). Or, as we did, you could sit in the communal kitchen and foster a community spirit and sit and chat with those others that were passing through the Yucatan. This enabled us to leave with email addresses of new found friends.

If you did not have your own transport you could either hire taxis, or Jorge hired himself out as a taxi or just a 5 minute walk was the bus stop which had regular busses passing through. Just a 15 minute walk was a beautiful cenote that was open until 5pm, where you could swim, or just sit and have an amazing lunch for just a few pounds. Piste was only a short bus ride away and there were plenty of places to eat there.

Even though we had our own bathroom I went to see the outdoor shower and it was lovely, worked into a tree. Other than the gaps under and around the doors, the only down side I could see about this retreat was that if it was busy with many couples staying, maybe one shower and toilet may not be enough, especially as they were contained in the same room.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get the Suite, it is lovely. If possible request the one with the bath.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank flossytrip

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Traveling with my good friend, I wanted her to meet Jorge and enjoy the retreat, which I had done two years previously. Jorge accidentally found us in town a few minutes after arrival and off the bus. He remembered me and our conversations and such from the last time I was there! He and Daniel, his help-mate, are gracious, helpful and wonderful company. This time I upgraded to the suite, rather than the camping tent I was in last time. Wonderful cabin, two large beds, sofa, great large bathroom with tub and shower; beautifully appointed with native art and design. Buses run regularly just a short walk away, so we could get wherever we wanted. And Jorge was more than generous taking us places. We went to breakfast at the nearby restaurant/cenote; very much enjoyed ourselves with authentic mayan village meal. We of course, spent a day at Chichen Itza - take a deep breath and enjoy it all.

Room Tip: You have a wide variety to choose from, based on your budget and lifestyle. Village life is simple...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kathleen T
Reviewed 9 November 2011

OK, so this place isn't the nearest to the Mayan site but it's well worth the 15min taxi ride. Set in the small village of Yokdzonot, at the end of what appeared to be a dirt track to nowhere. It is a beautiful, peaceful, idyllic little find. Upon arrival, thinking we had the wrong place and almost turning back, we were met by Daniel who immediately took our bags and offered us a much nicer room than we'd booked for the same price.

We were the only people there at the time, the room had a HUGE shower and as you walked in and out of your building a flurry of butterflies scattered all around you. We had some chilled water waiting for us in our room as well as various little unexpected luxuries such as some reading material, a TV, shampoos etc. The best thing was the outside kitchen area - complete with microwave, fridge, cooker and cutlery (not to mention overhead fan!) - it was surreally awesome, just sitting in the middle of this gorgeous paradise.

There is also a Cenote just 10 mins walk from the hostel which when we visited the morning of our departure was completely empty :-) we loved having the place to ourselves and swimming in the cool waters for a well deserved cool off.

Would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting to see Chichen Itza, an equivalent experience in Europe would be stupidly expensive.

Go there and enjoy :)

Room Tip: The big one in the centre.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Duff_n_Puis
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I spent over a week in this glorious resort when I had only originally planned on spending a few days there to visit one of the Seven wonders of the world, Chichen Itza which is 10 minutes away by car or bus.

It was such a peaceful and traditional place with a wonderful assortment of accomodation to suit most budgets. I stayed in various one's including the traditional Mayan house and the Suite both of which were wonderful.

The owner Jorge speaks great English and is only too happy to help out guests with any information or travel plans. Jorge also took me on some wonderfully cheap and thrilling trips to caves and Senotes in the area where the large coach buses do not go. They are much more beautiful than the large tourist attractions in the area and it all added to the authentic experience.

Whilst the Yucatan Mayan Resort may be at peace with it's traditional roots and way of life there all a range of eco - ammenities and a fabulously clean communcal kitchen where you can cook about anything. Or if you wish Jorge will cook you up something fab.

A great place to stay that is both closer and cheaper to Chichen Itza and it's surrounding wonders than the more expensive hotels

HIghly recommended and if you're there say Hi to Don Daniel and Jorge

Room Tip: Choose the suite its heaven being in the bath listening to the relaxing sounds of the Jungle.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank glenisatraveller
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My family and I truly enjoyed staying at this ecohotel. We chose to stay in the large suite because it had its own bathroom. Though, the outside bathroom was very clean. Jorge and Daniel were very nice and helpful. We liked the fact that there is an outside open-air kitchen where the guest get to cook their own meals if they chose. There is a beautiful and clean cenote (vertical cave pool) within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask George (the Manager) which room is best for your needs...he is very helpful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank familyof5Montoya
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Oh, I wish I were there right now! My stay at the Yucatan Mayan Retreat was easily the best part of my trip. I felt so comfortable and happy there. After driving from Cancun, and traveling more than 9 hours by plane, I was tired, dirty, and more than a little cranky. However, all of that changed as soon as I walked onto the grounds.
Upon our arrival, the owner (a handsome, gracious 32-year old from Mexico City) gave us a tour of the retreat, offered to give us a second tent just for our baggage, and then gave us each a beer from his own kitchen.
He could not have been more gracious and accommodating, and even allowed us to stay in one of the rooms when the guest who reserved it wasn't able to come. And, when I asked the owner if I could keep the book I started to read during my stay he said, "of course! This is my gift to you." I have never met anybody more hospitable and considerate. I felt safe and pampered during my entire stay.
The room, the grounds, the outdoor shower, and the owner make this a can't-miss for everybody. It is truly a haven and a paradise.

Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Great place to get some rest and be in contact with nature. I slept in a camping tent, surrounded by nature. Great place to get some peace of mind. Friendly Staff and a very nice outdoor bathroom. Just a few kilometers from the Mayan Ruins of Chichen·Itza and Yaxunah, wright next to the wonderful Cenote, Sinkhole, of Yokdzonot.
In a Camping Tent, in the Maya House or in the Suite you are in for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, I stayed in a tent.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Erapel

Been to Yucatan Mayan Retreat, Ecohotel & Camping? Share your experiences!