and 1 more site!
Tecnohotel Beach
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I went for 4 hours visting from a carnival cruise. Although it was a beautiful place, I was drugged by bartender. With the drug test to prove it, thank god I was with the rest of my party, because after one funny tasting margarita I blacked out and fell on my face twice. The workers at the technotel just laughed according the rest of my party but I have no recollection of anything after the margarita. Do not go here if you plan on remembering progresso or having a safe trip.

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Nick N

Reviewed 13 June 2014

If you're looking for a nice clean place, some peace and quiet, good installations and access to large sandy beaches and warm sea water, this is the place.
Hotel is arranged in 4-room or 2-suite buildings, all surrounded by well kept gardens, 2 pools assure you near access from any room.
Relatively new construction, clean and well maintained, you'll have a full-sized refrigerator, sink and micro-wave oven so you can prepare some simple foods in case you don't want to use the hotel's Restaurant.
If you are more into adventure and fun, rather than relaxing in the quiet, this may turn boring to you very soon.

Room Tip: If you like to have a terrace to the gardens and pools, ask for a ground floor room. For better pri...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Alejandro C
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had dinner twice at the restaurant while visiting the area on vacation. Generous complimentary appetizers. The coconut shrimp was excellent as was the lemon lime cream for dessert. Varied menu. Inexpensive and not fancy, but the charming, attentive staff and decent food make this place worth a visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

we stopped in without a reservation, wanting a nice place with a beach. We were overly surprised by getting a suite for a very good rate. The restaurant had great food, and the staff were very attentive to our needs. We will go back again

Room Tip: The suites are very nicely furnished and the bedroom area was great. Next time we will bring friend...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 395JaniceM
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Went here on day excursion off of cruise ship. Very small place. Beach not so nice. Rocky broken shells with seaweed. Cloudy greenish colored water no better than any beach on east coast. Very small buffet that they had to serve the food to you. Bland soggy nachos. About 5 things to choose from. Drinks were soda out of a bottle and beer out of the bottle. Pure syrup daiquiris. Now if you were just there for tequila, I'm sure you'd love this place. Saw people vomiting. Pool was nice. Only about 6 loungers around the pool though. There were plenty at the beach, but pretty far from the little bit of food and drink. We were told there were jet skis which was a lie. There was very little activity other than hearing the same 4 songs over and over. Maybe this IS the best of Progreso! Would not return.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Fairviews
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for a day on a cruise ship stop. We were originally supposed to go to Uxmal Mayan ruins, but were unable to, so we decided on Technotel beach. We arranged the excursion through Autoprogreso and we had a great day! The beach itself was clean and soft...not a rocky beach at all. The water is not the picture perfect crystal clear blue water, but the water was a blue green and I had no problems spending several hours in the water. There is a bar on the beach and our drinks were included in the cost of our excursion ticket. The workers seemed happy and came around every so often to see if you needed a new drink, but they did not hound you. The grounds were extremely well kept, lots of sculptures and beautiful plants everywhere! I cannot speak to the quality of the hotel, but if you are looking for a beach to spend a day at, Technotel Beach is definitely a great option!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank h_blond2
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Most of the reviews posted here seem to be from people taking day trips, either from having disembarked from a cruise or booked out of Merida. I don't think this is fair to the hotel and the people who work there. If you are booking a day trip anywhere, it seems advisable to find out before hand exactly what you are getting and what you should expect. The hotel is about 25 kilometers from Progreso, a little more than 15 miles, so it should take, at most, half an hour to get there from the port.

I had a good experience with the Technotel. I was staying in a beach house when my wallet went missing for a day (later recovered, with nothing taken). I needed an evening meal and I had no cash or credit cards at that moment. My wife called in her credit card, I got a good meal and excellent treatment from the staff and waiters. They saved my day because otherwise I would have had little or nothing to eat that evening.

The hotel, where I did not stay, appears to be modern and is right on the beach. The Yucatan beaches, generally, are not something that most American tourists would expect. The beach stretches for miles, is generally not "groomed" and you can have it to yourself most any day. You'd be lucky to see four or five other people during a day.

Don't judge this hotel by the bad experiences of people taking excursions. From what I saw, I wouldn't hesitate to book at few days or a week. If you want lux to the max, The Yucatan Reef is only a few miles east of his hotel. There is another hotel about a mile away (east) where they serve good food and there is also a small grocery store there for provisions. Very kind people.

The area is generally good for cyclists, by the way, with a wide shoulder on the long, flat, straight roads. Hot even in February.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 7 in Progreso
Technotel Merida Norte
Technotel Merida Norte
#65 of 105 in Merida

Been to Tecnohotel Beach? Share your experiences!