“something different.”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel was a formely police station, I was told. Friendly staff, nice room with nice bathroom /good shower, very good bed. Restaurant servs good food. Informal setting. Nice place to stay in Canberra. Traffic noise? deadcalm.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WimD423
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Dear WimD423,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra, it’s always wonderful to hear feedback from our guests.
We are lucky to be located in a unique, heritage listed building with a rich history dating back to 1926. While the hotel section has always been used accommodation in some form, the NewActon complex has held many different things across its time, including police offices as you were informed.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments about our team, our hotel rooms and our restaurant. We take pride in providing the best service possible to our guests and I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback; I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Peppers Gallery Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2013

After checking in we went along very dark corridors and down a level. When we got into the room all it had was a bed and a very dark decor. I had booked this as a mystery on wotif and had emailed to get a price for 2 nights instead of the one. this room was supose to be a delux. all it had was the bed it seemed like a standard to me. we went and asked reception who were very nice and professional. they assured us it was delux. I asked to pay for an upgrade which cost us an extra $65 for the 2 nights. at least this room had a couch. again the decor is so dark it can be really depressing and whats with the lonley apple waiting for us on the bed (strange). on the upside the bed was so comfortable and the pillows wonderful. we had room service for dinner both nights and the food was really good especially the first night. we had a buffet breakfast one morning it was ok but have had better elsewhere in canberra. we have stayed many times in canberra and this place is close to the CBD which is great. The room we were upgraded to was a premier, I just dont think it was. The parking could be a problem but it wasnt for us, we parked right outside the hotel in free parking ,lucky for us, as there is onle about 5 parking spots the rest is payed. To the young people on the front desk you are a credit to your profession. will we stay again, not sure so many good and bads here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank messup61
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear messup61,

I’m glad to hear that for the most part, you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you experienced, we are situated in a fantastic location, moments’ walk from Lake Burley Griffin and only a short stroll from the city centre and many of Canberra’s attractions. Our excellent front office team are committed to making every guest experience a special one, and I have passed your comments on to them. I’m also glad that you enjoyed your meals from our restaurant Bicicletta, as well as our incredibly comfortable beds.
Being situated in a heritage listed building, some of our rooms are not as large as you may find elsewhere, however I believe the character of our property and the benefits of being located within the exciting NewActon complex far outweigh this. Despite your doubts, I can assure you that you stayed in our Deluxe and Premier rooms, and am glad that you were more comfortable after upgrading to our large Premier room category.
As for the apple in your room, we feel that it adds a nice touch to the room offering a fresh piece of fruit instead of the normal piece of chocolate.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback; I look hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Good location, great receptionist but they were the highlights. It is quirky but rooms are small and expensive for what you get . If the other write ups are correct then I hate to think what the other Canberra accommodation is like. On check in we had to change rooms because of the smell, had coffee in the coutyard which we couldn't drink and its a shame that the outside area is not kept clean. Not sure that I would come back here, I might try somewhere else which I might regret or I might get a nice surprise but its worth a shot.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seasoned T

Dear SeasonedT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra, while I thank you for your comments, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that your stay was not up to the standards that we strive for. It’s always unfortunate when isolated incidents require our guests to move to another hotel room; however I am confident that a member our dedicated front office team would have handled this professionally and efficiently so that you could get back to enjoying your time in Canberra.
Our lovely outdoor courtyard is a perfect place to enjoy a drink or a meal, and I’m sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your coffee. We aim to ensure that every coffee prepared by our team of baristas is of the top quality that all enjoy, and our restaurant manager is looking into this.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback; I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

From the exterior to the detail in each room this boutique hotel is something different on so many levels. The building mixes the traditional with the ultra modern and then some. After a quick check-in with a more than helpful desk attendant answering queries about the gym, bike hire and facilities, I was directed towards my room (end of the day, not paying attention, same old same old and wandered aimlessly around the darkened corridors of the hotel until I finally found my room - a bit of directional signage including a "you are here" wouldn't go astray).

After getting a bit of misguided tour of the corridors (a bit of crazy lighting but overly dark), I finally found my room. Wow! Crazy carpet, king sized bedding, luxurious shower with rain head/frameless shower and marble vanity, Bang & Olufsen TV and the list goes on. (Disappointed to find or not find the sleep timer function on the TV).

The bed was comfy as, blockout blinds help when you want pitch blackness to sleep but with the days being shorter at the end of daylight saving, I kept the blinds open and it was still reasonably dark. The room was cool being autumn and the air conditioner took the edge off the chill (I should have gone hunting for the additional blanket).

After a quick change, I took myself out for a bike ride up to Parliament House and back - I should pay more attention to the location of bike lanes and the like rather than riding on the road, dodging traffic isn't too much fun. The bikes are due for a bit of a lube as the chain & gears were rusty making the ride a bit of hard work but I was advised that they are being serviced this week or I could hire a specialised road bike just down the road.

I had a meal at the in-house restaurant, Bicicletta - very nice. Even the restaurant was quirky, there is old wall tiling, copper piping on the walls with taps and lights out of the taps.

Breakfast too was your typical buffet affair, typical bain marie hot food (bacon, eggs etc) then there was sweets, cereals, bircher and more. There's even a enormous Nespresso machine churning out your favourite coffee and ample supplies of specialty teas for that great cuppa.

At the end of my stay, checkout was just as smooth - dinner, breakfast was added to the bill and all ready within minutes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott_No_Mates

Dear ScottNoMates,

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you experienced, the Diamant is anything but ordinary. As you mentioned, our friendly and professional front office team are always here to help, and while I apologise for the minor confusion with finding your room, I’m so glad that you loved it when you got there. I’m also glad that you enjoyed your experiences in our restaurant. Bicicletta offers a fantastic menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week and we are fortunate to be able to offer their services to our guests.
I do apologise that the bike you borrowed was in need of some attention. Our bikes have been getting quite the workout recently with Canberra being such a great place to go for a ride. They are just about to be replaced, and when you next stay with us I can assure you that this won’t be an issue.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We spent just one night at this hotel and enjoyed the experience. Our first allocated room was what appeared to be a basement room and with the decor which is predominently 'mission brown' it made the room dark and felt oppresive. However, the front desk staff found us a room on the 2nd floor and it had natural light and all was well!!! Lovely room, the bed and bedding beautiful and we had a great sleep. Spotlessly clean and although a little quirky in some areas, a good choice. We had wanted to walk to the National Gallery but it is an approx. 3km walk, something that doesnt normally present a challenge but we opted to drive and use the time at the gallery. We had some good restaurant recommendations in the city central from the front desk staff too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have more natural light.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarianneandDavid
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Marianne and David,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent experience to Canberra and overnight stay at the Diamant Hotel. Very happy to hear your experience was a positive one. Glad to see my team were able to assist with your request to move to another room. As you mention the décor and room facilities are very nice and certainly do create a wow factor.

Canberra is becoming well known for a number of its restaurants. I do hope you had the opportunity to visit Bicicletta located in the hotel precinct.

Marianne and David, I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back to Canberra.

Regards,

Tarn Morrow

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed for 1 night while on a work related trip to Canberra in November 2012. Arrived late at night (9 pm) and left next day early 730 am so did not get chance to explore in detail.Hotel rooms have artistic feel and it is bit different than standard business hotels.Check in and check out was quick and efficient. Bed was quite comfortable.Breakfast was standard. Everywhere you find small touches which gives a different outlook compared to standard hotels. Rooms are probably smaller but again this is not purpose built hotel so layout is probably is not standard. I stayed in standard room so not sure if other rooms are larger. This is a decent business hotel with "Cool" factor.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelfan123456
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear Travelfan123456,

While I wish we could have had you with us for longer, I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us last year. We are lucky to be located in a heritage listed building with a unique and artistic design. We have many room options available to our guests, from out cosy Standard Rooms to our luxurious Suite and beautifully appointed apartments. Perhaps next time you might like to come and stay for a weekend so that you can experience all that our hotel, New Acton and Canberra has to offer!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed over Easter period while visiting friends. Modern hotel short distance from city. Check in was quick and the two people on the desk friendly.Small rooms but very well done. Super comfortable bed and pillows and very modern bathroom. Do believe they should give either free breakfast or parking. Would recommend for short stay and as long as not expecting large room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wgbraun

Dear Wgbraun,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Diamant Hotel Canberra, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over Easter.
As you experienced, we are lucky to be situated close to Lake-Burley Griffin, the civic centre and many of Canberra’s attractions. We pride ourselves on our dedicated team, who always approach customer service with a friendly attitude while ensuring that all our guests are looked after. Regarding your suggestion, we do offer multiple packages which include breakfast, however we also provide room-only options so that our guests are able to decide whether they would like to enjoy their breakfast in the hotel or elsewhere. While we do offer our guests the option of reasonably-priced underground secure parking, there is also plenty of free parking options surrounding the hotel.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback; I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel when you next visit Canberra.