“Modern hip hotel in Canberra - Would happily stay pagain”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“Modern hip hotel in Canberra - Would happily stay pagain”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Currently staying at this lovely hip boutique hotel (rooms and apartments available). The hotel is modern, clean and gloriously non-smoking. Here I'm not over whelmed by the smell horrible in-house body products - thankfully these supplied items have a subtle pleasant aroma - what a delightful change. The hotel room is smallish but acceptable and all the fixtures are in working order. The bed is super comfy and I love the wall paper on the ceiling. Without exception the staff have been friendly and helpful. The hotel is storing my bike in a locked room near reception so getting access is a breeze. I asked to change rooms after my first night due to disturbing noises (I think the noise was the air conditioning system outside the building but it sounded like washing machines going all night). My request was granted and my room change was seamless - staff took great care to allocate a super quiet room in another section of the hotel (Thank you Alison). When travelling alone I dislike eating in noisy hotel restaurants and the staff allowed me to sit in the bar area and quietly eat a salad - the waitress also heated my wheat bag in the microwave for my poor aching back! My only complaints are minor; too few power points in the room - suggest bringing a power-board, and, the $15 overnight parking fee because the street parking is not free during the day. I would definitely stay at the Diamant again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TokraDOG
TarnMorrow, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear TokraDOG,

Is a pleasure to receive your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Diamant Hotel Canberra. We are blessed to have a very inviting hotel product in what is becoming a very popular destination in the New Acton precinct. Glad you thought our beds were super comfy...we will be introducing a new bed concept early next year which is even better! As you have noted the hotel does provide secured undercover parking for the nominal fee of $15. There are also many other parking options available to our guests.
TokraDOG, thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Canberra again.

Tarn Morrow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Orange NSW
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We found hotels in Canberra to be expensive so we booked this by a wotif mystery hotel. It's modern and stylish. We had problems with the mini bar, the fridge was locked so we were not able to put our own wine in the fridge, after a couple of calls to reception this was corrected. A down side is the parking, you can park on the street for free (if there are parks available, I didn't see a free space the whole time we were there) or pay $15 for undercover parking. The fee is reasonable as far as hotels go but it's a bit of a walk away. A pain when you have bags.
The hotel is in a great location to central Canberra, a fifteen minute walk or a $10 taxi ride. I wouldn't walk with small children, the roads are very busy and the crossings are not fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LucyOrangeNSW
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear LucyOrangeNSW,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent visit to Canberra and stay at the Diamant Hotel Canberra.

As you have noted there are several parking solutions for our hotel guests, the main one being secured undercover parking in the building next to the hotel for the nominal daily charge of $15. Whilst hotel guests can consider street parking as a free option, this is a public street and the hotel as no control of allocations here.

I'm very glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel. The New Acton precinct is becoming a cultural destination for those who visit Canberra with the many restaurants and cafes available and the recent opening of Palace Cinemas.

LucyOrangeNSW, I trust you get the opportunity to visit us again. The team and I do look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Really nice, lobby bar and restaurant
The money on soft refurbs could have been invested in rooms fitting them all to the same standard
We moved rooms as we paid for a wotif room but there were some cleanliness flaws
New room was much lighter however its still those little touches like wiping the backs of doors when they are black as handprints are a bit off putting
Beautiful food but you need to book for the restaurant we went for dinner at 6 and were told we had to eat quickly and be out by 7 the waiter practically fed my husband to get us out of there on his timeline
This hotel has huge potential but cleanliness is its downfall
I would stay here again but would be specific about room type as you get what you pay for
The lady manager was lovely the lady at check in was not so lovely

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank AbundantMilly
Dear MikenBarb22,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Diamant Hotel Canberra.

The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service. Thank you for your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to review where we as a team are not exceeding our guest’s expectations.

The Diamant Hotel Canberra does pride itself on providing a clean, high quality product and one that creates the wow factor for guests when they choose to stay with us. On this occasion we have not met your expectations.

Bicicletta Restaurant is a very popular restaurant here in Canberra and we do encourage our guests to book in advance, in particular on a Friday and Saturday night.

MikenBarb22, I trust you get the opportunity to visit us again and give us the opportunity to turn your negative experience into a positive one. The team and I do look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

So I did a mystery hotel deal (I had figured out the property however!) so I did no doubt get the lowest rate and room grade possible, but this hotel offers a little something different in a city which is highly generic in it's accommodation range!
The lower level rooms (mine anyway) did feel a bit claustrophobic but I wasn't sure if it was the darkish passageway leading to it or the fact the room was on the ground floor (unusual these days). Inside it was modern, if not on the smaller side, and crisp. Funky artwork, black & silver decor and wall paper on the ceiling led to "the vibe". Bathroom was good, great sink...fine shower. No complaints!
Magazines were laid out so a good choice of materials.
Super helpful staff here and a friendly, welcoming environment.
Definitely try the espresso bar around the corner from the hotel too. Forget what it is called but superb food!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Missjane06
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Missjane06,

I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent overnight stay at the Diamant Hotel Canberra. "Something different" is a great overview of who we are! Positioned in the growing New Acton precinct, the hotel is perfectly positioned to enjoy all that Canberra has to offer. Glad you enjoyed your stay. The team and I do look forward to welcoming you back to Canberra again very soon.

New Zealand
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed in two different apartments in this hotel. We were booked into the two bedroom apartment (room 701) with twin beds in on room and a double with baby cot in the other. Everything was set up perfectly when we got there, and we were very happy. The kitchen was well equipped, there were laundry facilities, two bathrooms (one with bath), a nice balcony and a very comfortable living room. Unfortunately the TV would not work (some problem with the Fox subscription). Because this is a managed apartment, and the hotel could not contact the owner to fix the problem, after two nights they offered to move us to a different apartment.

So at no extra charge we found ourselves in a palatial three bedroom apartment (604), with a massive balcony, fabulous view of the lake and sunset over Black Mountain, and functioning TV, which pleased the kids no end. Again the kitchen was very well equipped and we were extremely comfortable for the rest of our week long stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the dinner and breakfast we had from the hotel restaurant Bicicletta. Overall a great hotel in a fantastic location, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TheLetterB
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear TheLetterB,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service.
I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy the comfortable facilities of one of the many apartments we have available. I do apologise that we were unable to address the Foxtel issue in the original room, however I'm sure as you have stated you were wowed by the amazing features of the 3-bedroom apartment.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. I hope you get the opportunity to visit us again.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The Diamant Canberra is situated in New Acton - one of my favourite locations in Canberra. This is because it is very close to the city without actually being on top of it, it is also close to the lake. My partner and I were lucky enough to get a package which was in a Premier Room with bathtub, it was lovely. We also got breakfast each morning which was nice. The room itself was great, I do agree with what others have said in terms of the bathroom being cold but there's not a lot you can do about that - Canberra is cold... Bed was very comfy and everything was very clean. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of shower screen on one side of the shower - it looks good but it's not practical as water goes everywhere. Service was great and I liked how you could use the gym next door or Fitness First in the city for free! Overall a great stay and I will certainly stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank LauraHutton
Dear LauraHutton,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regards to your recent stay at Diamant Hotel Canberra. Your overview of the New Acton precinct is spot on. This cultural precinct is becoming the place to be in Canberra with so much to offer. Happy you enjoyed one of our many packages. There are many options to suit all needs, tastes and desires. LauraHutton, thank you again for staying with us. I do look forward to welcoming you back to Canberra and the Diamant Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Would just like to say what a wonderful 4 day stay we had at the Diamant Hotel in Canberra. Bed was a dream, the fire in the foyer was welcoming for a winter stay, the trendy bar very comfortable and nice to be able to order dinner at our bar table. The special of an upgrade to premier room and included breakfast was great. I normally dislike hotel breakfasts and would prefer to venture out to find nice cafes, however the quality, presentation and variety available at the Diamant made it well worth staying inside. The bacon was the best quality, the scrambled eggs great and could swap between smoked salmon and eggs or bacon, etc. Plenty of fresh fruit and the individually prepared yoghurts and bircher muesli were great. The Biciclette restaurant was excellent, friendly, smiling staff and excellent quality food. There is a movie theatre across the road, the city is within walking distance, both were appreciated as it was quite cold outside. The Art Gallery and War Memorial were 5 minutes drive away. Always something to see at the Capital, we visited Cotter Dam, Tidbinbilla Tracking Station, the Arboretum, and the National Museum. Would definitely recommend this place for a couples stay, but there were girls groups and kids as well. The $15 extra for parking was an extra hit, but we considered the convenience and security well worth it. Nice to have a ground floor room and be able to raise the blinds to let the winter sun in and view the garden. Really enjoyed this place and will put it down as one of my favourites. Would recommend to anyone, and will definitely stay again when in Canberra. Worth the price for a little bit of comfort and convenience. We had a blown fuse for the light & TV while there, they came IMMEDIATELY and fixed it. No sitting in your room wasting hours waiting for a service technician. Very impressed.

Room Tip: Dont know what other rooms are like but room 110 was on ground floor and nice to have the sun on you...