“Comfortably hip”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very happy with the large size of our room, lovely bathroom fittings and general set up. Staying in mid winter we were warm and very comfortable in our bed. The desk chair plus sofa provided good seating options and there was good storage. The bathroom floor was freezing but the hot water arrived very quickly. Our bed was soft but comfortable. And the hip surrounds and delicious A Baker breakfast made it a really enjoyable experience. 5 minutes walk to the lake or the city. Cinema at the doorstep. Just great.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thorpedo
James S, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Hi thorpedo, and thanks for such a lovely review! Canberra does reach some pretty low temperatures in the winter months, which is why we try to make it as cosy inside the hotel for our guests as possible! That includes our beautiful log fire at reception, and ensuring that our rooms are pre-heated for every weary traveller. Luckily there are also some great venues in the area which make venturing out that little bit easier! Dinner at A Baker and a movie at the Palace Electric cinemas make for a perfect winter’s evening in New Acton. We’re glad that your stay was an enjoyable one, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Wanted to book a hotel for two nights, for our wedding. Online booking wouldn't allow me to book a deluxe room for 2 adults and our infant. I called reservations direct, and they were really great. Totally helped me out, gave us an upgrade to a premier room, wished us congratulations. Hotel was good. Room was good. Food from nearby Bicicletta and A. Baker was great.
I got back from my wedding with my wife and our ten month old daughter. I asked reception about parking because as we were walking to the car on our way out earlier, to drive to our wedding, we got a parking ticket! The reception staff (two people, in particular) at the hotel were rude, unhelpful, and spoke to me like I was an idiot. They didn't treat the silver haired Caucasian couple like that. But they thought it acceptable to speak to the brown person, (on the day if his wedding, no less) like he didn't understand English.

Not okay, Diamant Hotel, Canberra!

When you change ownership to Peppers Resorts in the coming months, I hope you also change your reception staff.

All I would have asked for was a kind word, and I would have been happy.

Never going back.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Colin P

Hello Colin,

I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for your experience on what is usually such a happy day. Please accept my reassurance that we take complaints of this nature very seriously, and have begun investigating the incident from our end to properly discover what happened, and who the staff were that were involved. Rest assured that we will continue staff training so that any similar incidents do not occur again in the future. We are usually more than happy to help guests find the right parking for their situation, and are extremely sorry that we could not help you on this occasion. If you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the hotel. We hope that the rest of your day was a truly joyful one, and offer all our best wishes for a happy and bright future for you and your family.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I am highly recommending this wonderful hotel.
From the moment I checked in I was welcomed with a warm smile .
My room was large and so comfortable . I had work to do in the room which unlike so many hotels I had a large desk with great natural light .
The bed was also so comfortable and it was great night sleep .
Dinner time I went to the hotels restaurant bicclietta , great food .
Totally enjoyable experience Well done Eight Hotels I will be back x
Great Value !!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Warwick S

Hi Warwick, and thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We love making every guest’s stay memorable so are very pleased that you enjoyed your time here. It really is those little things that make the difference – such as plenty of light, an amazing mattress, and ample space in the rooms, as you mentioned. Thank you again and we can’t wait to welcome you back to our beautiful spot in Canberra!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a big corner room on the top floor. Very comfortable bed, lounge chairs and a desk. First night was freezing cold even with the a/c heating on. The Air con system struggles as the bathroom has 2 walls of windows and when the temperature outside is -1 C it is impossible to achieve any warmth. Second night after leaving the heating on all day the room was still cool. James the Manager checked it out himself, adjusted the fan which slightly helped. In addition to the adjustment he also brought a oil heater and a glass of Shiraz to help keep me and the room warm. Excellent service - thank you James. So the second night was a lot warmer. It would help if the bathroom had some form of heating - cold windows, cold wall and floor tiles, non sealing bathroom door creates a constant draught into the bedroom.
Other than the cold nights the service was very good, efficient and friendly.
Dinner at Bicioletta was very enjoyable. Generous servings so no room for dessert :(

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JalanM111

Hello JalanM111, thank you for such a thorough recommendation! We’re so sorry about the issue with your heating, it seems there was a problem with the thermostat in your room which maintenance have now addressed. We’ll definitely look into ensuring our bathrooms can be kept warm as well, as the last thing we want is our guests suffering from the chills that Canberra is subject to each year! We’re happy that we could remedy the situation at least, and that you enjoyed the lovely menu at Bicicletta. They certainly know how to do an excellent pasta dish! Next time you come back, we’ll definitely have to get you to try one of the amazing desserts!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly, location is good - very close to the CBD of Canberra and also Australian National University as well as some arty cinemas. The hotel itself is an older building that has been restored and re-purposed, the end result being a pleasant mix of new and old. The atmosphere in the restaurant area is great, service and food pretty good as well.

The room was comfortable and interestingly decorated - wall paper on the ceiling being a feature, as I recall. Room was not huge but by no means cramped.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ashley G

Hello Ashley, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor! We are indeed located inside a heritage building, but we try to keep it as toasty warm as possible in these chilly winter months! Bicicletta is fantastic for a delicious dinner as well, as then you don’t have to venture out into the cold at all. We’re glad to hear you liked the decorations – each room is unique so the next time you come back to see us we’d love to show you a different one!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Diamant is a great hotel...The team are superb, the product is gorgeous and the atmosphere in the whole precinct was buzzing the weekend we stayed - From the moment we arrived the Reception team were friendly and helpful, doing their best to help a guest who had lost her charger by offering their personal one when the last one had been lent out to another guest - That's how they roll and for that I would come back in a flash!

Their General Manager James is the perfect host for a city like Canberra and makes you feel like you're staying in a home rather than a hotel, with the heating already on so your room is nice and warm (it gets really chilly) - This is what boutique service is all about, and I like that about the staff at 8Hotels - they love what they do and it shows.

A Baker does a great breakfast, and we also tried Mocan & Green Grout (which has the best soy chai latte!) - so many options to choose from, but Bicicletta for me is still the best - Generous portions and a friendly style of service - I like the way they make you feel so relaxed even when it's full! Thanks for a great stay - we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thiago G

Hello Thiago, such glowing words! We truly love doing whatever we can to make each stay special and are so glad that we could do so for you on your recent stay! The hotel is like our second home, and we love sharing it with our guests and making it feel like theirs as well. It sounds like you were able to see a number of the great eateries in our surrounds – the soy chai lattes at Mocan are my favourite too! Thanks again and we can’t wait to have you back to stay with us soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I live in Canberra but stayed here for a night recently - basically because I often get asked my travelling work colleagues about which local hotels to stay at and I thought I should try a few of them out so I can answer with some authority! I have to say I enjoyed the experience of being a tourist in my own town, especially staying at this fine hotel.

The hotel is located in a trendy mixed use development called New Acton, to the west of the CBD (a pleasant 5 minute walk) and adjacent to the ANU and the Film and Sound Archive with its wonderful cinema. There is also a fantastic arthouse cinema (Palace Electric) within the New Acton development, as well as numerous restaurants and bars. I enjoyed a lovely walk around the lake from the hotel.

The hotel itself is the centrepiece of the development, based in a heritage building but surrounded by very trendy new architecture. Because it is a heritage building however, there are some concessions - narrow un-level hallways for instance. My room was chic and comfortable, but tiny. The car parking is a bit if a process to get to, but once you've parked the car you can walk anywhere you need to go.

Staff were friendly.

The small bar was intimate but a lovely night time spot.

Other guests all seemed to be very young, cool and a bit on the 'hip' side.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank scotthumphries

Hi scotthumphries, what a detailed review! It often is an interesting experience to see your city in another light, and we’re pleased that we could become your home away from home for a night! We may be biased but we really do think we’re situated in the most exciting part of Canberra, with some of the best new up-and-coming bars and eateries within a short walk of the hotel. We do love receiving feedback of all kinds, so thank you for sharing a few of your thoughts on possible improvements as well – we will soon be undergoing refurbishment of our hallways that you mentioned. Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!