“Nice hotel a short walk from the city, but no room service for breakfast”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is nice and the staff are friendly. Rooms and bathrooms are modern but on the small side with a small desk and TV. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.There are some cafes and places to eat around the place, but no room service for breakfast which isn't great for business travelers who are in a hurry and don't want to take their time at a cafe (particularly when the cafe the hotel recommends mucks up your order). The hotel is 10-15 minute walk from Civic. Check out was much slower than other hotels. There was only one person behind the counter and it took about 20 minutes so we ended up being late for our meeting in the city.

Room Tip: Leave time for breakfast and checkout.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ant W
James S, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hi Ant W,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we do pride ourselves on our staff attitude here and I’m glad you experienced that. I would however like to apologise personally for the slow check out when you left us. Even in rush hour we try our very best to keep to high standards of efficiency for our guests’ convenience, and I will make sure that our staff are made aware of that and that the problem does not occur again. I can understand your disappointment with our lack of room service at breakfast time, but never fear, over the next couple of weeks we are in fact starting a breakfast buffet system in our own restaurant, Bicicletta, open from nice and early for all our business travellers who, as you say, are understandably in a rush for their morning coffee!
I hope you will be staying with us next time you come to Canberra, we look forward to seeing you then.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a room at the back overlooking courtyard. It felt quite European. Fantastic being able to walk to cinema and a few funky cafes in the lane way area for breakfast. Quiet room. Lucky enough to get overnight parking in the street in front. It was fun.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Planner55

Hey there Planner55,

I’m glad you liked the slightly heritage feel of our hotel. It was in fact built in 1927, and I agree with you that the mix of old and new architecture really adds something to the atmosphere of the rooms. New Acton is a great area to explore, I hope you tried A Baker and Mocan and Green Grout while you were here! Apparently Mocan does the best coffees in Canberra!

We greatly look forward to seeing you again at Peppers next time you’re in Canberra.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The corridors remind me of tower of terror Orlando, all painted black. Ground floor involved going up and down short flights of stairs, which isn't good with suitcases. The room was lovely. Air conditioning warmed the room, but the bathroom was freezing, when I mentioned it to reception and asked about heating the bathroom, I was told to leave the light on! It would be better to spend money on underfloor heating to the bathrooms than the modern art around the hotel. I wouldn't recommend the hotel in winter, the three nights we spent all dropped below minus 5

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, or don't want to drag cases ask for a room that doesn't invol...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bernadette T

Hello Bernadette,

Thanks for staying at Peppers recently. I’m glad you mentioned our corridors in your review, actually, as we’re currently in the process of having them refurbished! We’re greatly looking forward to having light, airy corridors for our guests to walk through to their rooms as of a few weeks’ time. I’m so glad you liked the unique décor of the room you stayed in, if you stay again, you can, as many of our guests do, ask to specifically have that room again if you liked it, or change it up a bit and see which piece of original artwork you get in a different room! I’d like to apologise personally that your room wasn't sufficiently heated, Canberra winters can get pretty chilly, and it’s important to have somewhere warm to stay.

I would however encourage you to stay again and give us another go here at Peppers Gallery.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I travel 5 times a year to canberra and have my old trusty favourite hotel. This time, it was all booked out at a last minute trip. So I decided to stay somewhere different and looked at Peppers as it was quite new and had good reviews. On the hotel website the rooms look beautiful, big, spacious and WHITE. When I arrived, the hotel is complicated to find, and then you need to drive around the block to the carpark and pull your luggage through a courtyard up stairs to the elevator and then find your room. ALL very complicated and no assistance offered.
When I arrived in my room, all walls are painted a very very dark purple nearly black, with black curtains that are never opened as the view is to another building.
Room is small, with a double bed (my partner and I would not have fit comfortably) with a small bathroom, and small desk. There is no "Hotel Book" that says WELCOME here are all the facilities and information you may want as a guest such as room service, restaurants, local maps, information about the hotel etc.
I could go on, but I would URGE anyone to LOOK ELSEWHERE there are great hotels such as the new QT, CROWNE PLAZA the new HOTEL HOTEL that you can get for a similar price.

Room Tip: DONT STAY HERE! If you do even a "Deluxe" room wont do any good - its not better!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rebecca W

Hello Rebecca,

I’m so sorry that your stay with us wasn’t satisfactory. Our staff are trained to offer assistance with maps both to the hotel, the car park and around Canberra, and additionally to offer their services to carry luggage for our guests. I can only say that I will personally ensure that our staff are picked up on this discrepancy and that the mistake is not repeated should you decide to give us a second chance to impress you. Although you were assigned a room with darker shade themes during your last stay, we do have available rooms with large windows, western or eastern sunlight exposure, and white walls, we would be more than happy to accommodate any requests in this area!

Our queen size beds can sometimes feel smaller because of the stacks of pillows taking up space, and I apologise if the fittings in the room were found unsatisfactory.

I would like to sincerely urge you to try our hotel again, as we never like to leave any guest with a bad impression. If you do choose to, we would look forward greatly to the opportunity to make up for any past oversights and welcome you warmly back to our hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very happy with the large size of our room, lovely bathroom fittings and general set up. Staying in mid winter we were warm and very comfortable in our bed. The desk chair plus sofa provided good seating options and there was good storage. The bathroom floor was freezing but the hot water arrived very quickly. Our bed was soft but comfortable. And the hip surrounds and delicious A Baker breakfast made it a really enjoyable experience. 5 minutes walk to the lake or the city. Cinema at the doorstep. Just great.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thorpedo
James S, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Hi thorpedo, and thanks for such a lovely review! Canberra does reach some pretty low temperatures in the winter months, which is why we try to make it as cosy inside the hotel for our guests as possible! That includes our beautiful log fire at reception, and ensuring that our rooms are pre-heated for every weary traveller. Luckily there are also some great venues in the area which make venturing out that little bit easier! Dinner at A Baker and a movie at the Palace Electric cinemas make for a perfect winter’s evening in New Acton. We’re glad that your stay was an enjoyable one, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Wanted to book a hotel for two nights, for our wedding. Online booking wouldn't allow me to book a deluxe room for 2 adults and our infant. I called reservations direct, and they were really great. Totally helped me out, gave us an upgrade to a premier room, wished us congratulations. Hotel was good. Room was good. Food from nearby Bicicletta and A. Baker was great.
I got back from my wedding with my wife and our ten month old daughter. I asked reception about parking because as we were walking to the car on our way out earlier, to drive to our wedding, we got a parking ticket! The reception staff (two people, in particular) at the hotel were rude, unhelpful, and spoke to me like I was an idiot. They didn't treat the silver haired Caucasian couple like that. But they thought it acceptable to speak to the brown person, (on the day if his wedding, no less) like he didn't understand English.

Not okay, Diamant Hotel, Canberra!

When you change ownership to Peppers Resorts in the coming months, I hope you also change your reception staff.

All I would have asked for was a kind word, and I would have been happy.

Never going back.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Colin P

Hello Colin,

I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for your experience on what is usually such a happy day. Please accept my reassurance that we take complaints of this nature very seriously, and have begun investigating the incident from our end to properly discover what happened, and who the staff were that were involved. Rest assured that we will continue staff training so that any similar incidents do not occur again in the future. We are usually more than happy to help guests find the right parking for their situation, and are extremely sorry that we could not help you on this occasion. If you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the hotel. We hope that the rest of your day was a truly joyful one, and offer all our best wishes for a happy and bright future for you and your family.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I am highly recommending this wonderful hotel.
From the moment I checked in I was welcomed with a warm smile .
My room was large and so comfortable . I had work to do in the room which unlike so many hotels I had a large desk with great natural light .
The bed was also so comfortable and it was great night sleep .
Dinner time I went to the hotels restaurant bicclietta , great food .
Totally enjoyable experience Well done Eight Hotels I will be back x
Great Value !!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Warwick S

Hi Warwick, and thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We love making every guest’s stay memorable so are very pleased that you enjoyed your time here. It really is those little things that make the difference – such as plenty of light, an amazing mattress, and ample space in the rooms, as you mentioned. Thank you again and we can’t wait to welcome you back to our beautiful spot in Canberra!