I visited Canberra on a business trip recently for 2 nights, as part of a group booking (although we were all paying our own way). My overall impression of the hotel is mixed - it's trying hard to provide a good service, but failing on some crucial points. The lobby is quite a pleasant space - it's trying for a New York kind of feel, which is OK, but it's not 100% successful.
When I checked in, I was given a room which wasn't impressive at all - the room smelled kind of funky (as in a bit sweaty), and there were marks or stains of some kind on the marble-topped desk. It also overlooked the rear courtyard, which is part of the bar, and I was concerned that it might be noisy later. I therefore asked at reception if I could move room. The person I spoke to (called Mudit) said initially that the courtyard was very quiet at all times. I said that I was part of a large party that probably would be using the bar area and so it might well get noisy. He said that he didn't want to move me to the side of the hotel that overlooked the construction site - fair enough, that sounded very considerate. Instead he moved me to a room that was on the ground floor, just off the lobby. I inspected the room: it seemed to be in a quiet spot, and there was no funky smell and no stains on the desk!
Later that evening, upon returning to the hotel, I discovered that there was an after-party taking place in the lobby and the bar area. There was a DJ set up, and a couple of hundred people there. The noise was considerable. My room, was right next door to all if this. I cannot understand why the staff member would put me in a room next to an official hotel function, after he actually said to me 'are you a light sleeper?' and I said yes. The loud music continued until 1am; after there I was able to get some sleep, but I was extremely unhappy with the way I had been treated.
The next morning I spoke to the person at the front desk, because I was prepared to check out rather than deal with another night of noise. She said she could not understand why I was put in that room after I had requested a quiet room. She informed me that no functions would be taking place in the lobby that night, and so I agreed to stay the second night, which was fine in terms of noise.
In other respects, there are good and bad things about the hotel. I ordered food from room service in the evening; it was a bit pricey (pretty standard pricing for a hotel though) but very nice. The staff were also extremely helpful on the phone when my chosen dish wasn't available; they suggested others. I couldn't see any info about breakfast, however, and instead went to a cafe next door, Urban Food, which was good.
The room I stayed in was a Premier room; quite spacious, well-equipped (though some functioning wi-fi in the rooms would be appreciated; it's extraordinary in a hotel of this standard to have to go and sit in the lobby to check email!). There is a data point to plug in a cable for your laptop; but that's only helpful if you have brought a cable! Design is OK, again a bit try-hard. It's a real mish-mash of patterns (zigzags, paisleys etc). The corridors, as others have noted, are pretty dark, and the dark carpet looked very grubby both days I was there. It wouldn't hurt to vacuum it each day. The layout is also pretty confusing!
So overall, mixed. Is my view affected by the fact that someone stuffed up so badly on the room/noise issue? Absolutely - the lack of sleep meant that I felt wrecked the next day, which is not good when you are on a business trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra combines a unique CBD location with Peppers signature boutique features, designer ambience and service experience. The Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra building is heritage registered, with original features that blend effortlessly with a modern Peppers setting. Every detail has been well thought out - with Bang & Olufsen technology, marble features in boutique rooms and apartments. All Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra rooms have rain showers, luxury bedding, smart technology and original artwork. Choose from Hotel Room, Deluxe and Premier Rooms, and Suites. Unwind in your fully self-contained apartment with one, two or three bedrooms and a balcony. Located within the original Hotel Acton building, this historic and heritage listed site has been transformed into the NewActon Pavilion - Canberra's first true urban village, where Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra has taken up residence as the city's first luxury boutique hotel. Featuring the renowned Bicicletta Restaurant and Library Bar, guests can enjoy true Italian cuisine. Bicicletta specialises in homemade pasta and produce from different regions of Italy and Australia, catering to all occasions including formal sit-down meals. Relax at Soma Day Spa or explore the New Acton precinct, close to the iconic Lake Burley Griffin and within walking distance of Canberra's many high-end attractions. The where Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra provides complimentary WiFi in all rooms as well as public areas. Australia's Capital Territory is home to some great attractions, many within walking distance from Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra which is located ten minutes from the city centre, near Canberra's many cafes, bars, shops and restaurants. The National Zoo & Aquarium and National Arboretum Canberra is a short drive away, as are the Botanical Gardens and Telstra viewing tower. Peppers Gallery Hotel Canberra is located just 7.5Km from Canberra International and is on the doorstep of Canberra's key cultural, entertainment, sport and commercial facilities, making it the perfect choice for your next Canberra stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peppers Gallery Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamant Hotel Canberra - By 8 Canberra
- Hotel Diamant Boutique
- Diamant Boutique Canberra