“A very mixed experience....”

Peppers Gallery Hotel
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne
“A very mixed experience....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

I visited Canberra on a business trip recently for 2 nights, as part of a group booking (although we were all paying our own way). My overall impression of the hotel is mixed - it's trying hard to provide a good service, but failing on some crucial points. The lobby is quite a pleasant space - it's trying for a New York kind of feel, which is OK, but it's not 100% successful.
When I checked in, I was given a room which wasn't impressive at all - the room smelled kind of funky (as in a bit sweaty), and there were marks or stains of some kind on the marble-topped desk. It also overlooked the rear courtyard, which is part of the bar, and I was concerned that it might be noisy later. I therefore asked at reception if I could move room. The person I spoke to (called Mudit) said initially that the courtyard was very quiet at all times. I said that I was part of a large party that probably would be using the bar area and so it might well get noisy. He said that he didn't want to move me to the side of the hotel that overlooked the construction site - fair enough, that sounded very considerate. Instead he moved me to a room that was on the ground floor, just off the lobby. I inspected the room: it seemed to be in a quiet spot, and there was no funky smell and no stains on the desk!
Later that evening, upon returning to the hotel, I discovered that there was an after-party taking place in the lobby and the bar area. There was a DJ set up, and a couple of hundred people there. The noise was considerable. My room, was right next door to all if this. I cannot understand why the staff member would put me in a room next to an official hotel function, after he actually said to me 'are you a light sleeper?' and I said yes. The loud music continued until 1am; after there I was able to get some sleep, but I was extremely unhappy with the way I had been treated.
The next morning I spoke to the person at the front desk, because I was prepared to check out rather than deal with another night of noise. She said she could not understand why I was put in that room after I had requested a quiet room. She informed me that no functions would be taking place in the lobby that night, and so I agreed to stay the second night, which was fine in terms of noise.
In other respects, there are good and bad things about the hotel. I ordered food from room service in the evening; it was a bit pricey (pretty standard pricing for a hotel though) but very nice. The staff were also extremely helpful on the phone when my chosen dish wasn't available; they suggested others. I couldn't see any info about breakfast, however, and instead went to a cafe next door, Urban Food, which was good.
The room I stayed in was a Premier room; quite spacious, well-equipped (though some functioning wi-fi in the rooms would be appreciated; it's extraordinary in a hotel of this standard to have to go and sit in the lobby to check email!). There is a data point to plug in a cable for your laptop; but that's only helpful if you have brought a cable! Design is OK, again a bit try-hard. It's a real mish-mash of patterns (zigzags, paisleys etc). The corridors, as others have noted, are pretty dark, and the dark carpet looked very grubby both days I was there. It wouldn't hurt to vacuum it each day. The layout is also pretty confusing!
So overall, mixed. Is my view affected by the fact that someone stuffed up so badly on the room/noise issue? Absolutely - the lack of sleep meant that I felt wrecked the next day, which is not good when you are on a business trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank scot_in_oz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Medowie, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed here 2 nights in a premier room. First room I was given I couldn't hear myself think over the loud construction work going on outside, luckily enough I was able to get moved to a quieter room. Rooms are nice, hallways arent so nice, very dark and confusing. One of the better places I've stayed in Canberra. Not the best location

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank teegs64
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear Tcurby,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We do certainly apologise for the construction noise. The entire NewActon area is currently undertaking an exciting redevelopment stage to complement the existing heritage listed NewActon Pavilion in which we are situated. Although this is beyond our control, we certainly understand the inconvenience this may cause some of our guests and have since been in contact with construction management about the issue.

We will always do our upmost to ensure that our guests have a pleasant stay and are more than happy to move guests where possible.

Again, we apologise for the ‘confusing’ nature of the hotel. In designing the hotel, we aimed to combine the heritage feel of the existing building with a modern decor in an effort to develop a unique experience for our guests. Our friendly receptionists and porters will always be more than happy to show our guests to their rooms.

Thank you again for taking to time to give your feedback and hope to see you back in Canberra soon.

Kind regards

Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I stayed just one night at the Diamant Hotel, arrived a bit late and left pretty soon the next day so I didn't use the hotel that much. It's a nice, relatively small property, with a big emphasis on design. There's good and bad design, and this is generally bad. The tiny room I slept in was an assemblage of design features that didn't go at all together: there was the red wallpaper in the roof, the wood framed mirror, the white lacquered wardrobe the black iron and glass doors to the bathroom, etc...
The hotel has some very popular venues, and I ate at the tapas bar. It didn't properly serve tapas, but small portions of Moroccan inspired cuisine. Like the hotel, it's close but not quite enough to the real thing.
Service was just ok, nothing to write home about. The location wasn't entirely bad, although location in Canberra is an almost meaningless concept: there doesn't seem to be a proper city center and a car is absolutely crucial to get around.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PortoTraveller
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Dear PortoTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it helps us to improve the quality of service to which we strive to provide to our guests.

We do offer a range of room types ranging in size from the Standard Room to the more spacious Premier Room at the hotel and depending if you are travelling alone or with a partner our staff can help you decide which room would be most suited for all our guests stays.

It is very unfortunate that you feel the hotel interiors are generally bad, as we pride ourselves on being different (especially in Canberra) and having a certain edge, and it is defiantly something that a lot of our guests seem to enjoy.

Parlour Wine Bar most recently won accolades for being Canberra’s most popular Tapas and Cocktail bar which is a very poplar location all week and it is very unfortunate you felt as though the food was not what you expected. I will certinaly pass your feedback on to them.

Thank you again for taking to time to give your feedback it helps us to improve the quality of service to which we strive to provide to our guests and we hope to see you back in Canberra soon.

Kind regards

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

We didn't experience the restaurant, and the hallways were a little bizarre but the rooms were excellent. Large beds, excellent bathrooms and amenities. We were there on the weekend so had free parking outside, which was an added bonus.
I think we would stay here again if we were returning to Canberra.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mtyler
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

My 2nd stay in 12 months. In that time the in-house cafe has sadly closed but is due to be replaced soon. They also seem to have done something about the TV reception!

When you're booking, request a room facing away from the neighbouring apartment construction. I had one facing the courtyard and while it's not the hotel's fault, construction machinery starting up at 6.45 on a
Saturday morning is a little unexpected. Luckily I'm an early riser!

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank AFLtraveller
GM_CBR, General Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Dear AFLtraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, we are very excited to advise that in a few weeks our new restaurant Bicicletta will be opened, serving breakfast, lunch & dinner!

We do certainly apologise for the construction noise. They are under strict instructions not to begin that early! We will certainly discuss this with them once more.

Barneveld, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

This is a totally art-deco renovated hotel.
The colors in the hall-ways to your room are shokking but the rooms are great.
Spacious and clean. The beds are great! Beautifull B&O tv, mini bar great bathroom.
But...... because it is an old building, be aware: you can hear everything what is going on.
The weddings downstairs, the guys who partied till late.... the baby crying in the middle of the night. You're warned!
One other tricky problem: there is hardly no parking.
The undercover parking was full (didn't know you had to make a reservation for this in avance?) and the streets around the hotel were full because there were a couple of weddings going on.

Breakfast? Shokking!!!!!!
Never had such a bad breakfast: rotten fruit pieces, old muffins and instant coffee. And this for 15(!!) dollars a person.
So don't bother booking including breakfast.

The staff was very helpfull, so it was not a bad stay, but we expected more for the money we had to pay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank triels123
GM_CBR, Manager at Peppers Gallery Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Dear Triels123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff and the quality of our rooms and have passed your kind words onto our team.

We will soon be opening our new restaurant ‘Bicicletta’ which will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner each day of the week. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again and experience this great new restaurant which we are very much looking forward to having as part of the Hotel.

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed here recently (and a number of times in the past) and the form over function aspect is causing the hotel to slip.
Positives:
- Flint restaurant has good food and great staff
- Room was clean
- Received a text message on the day reminding me ofthe stay and was there anything they could do to asssit

Negatives:
- Rooms are really small, so take this into consideration if staying more than 1 night
- Room services options are very poor - no breakfast, limited lunch and the same menu from the restaurant
- Casual restuarant (where regualr breakfasts can be ordered) appears to have closed. No information advising guests of this
- Breakfast was nothing short of a joke - at the bar with only a handful of tables (all taken) and very average and small range of food.
- Parking is very limited now that the former parkling lot next to the hotel is a construction site
- Bed was very thin and worn out
- Hooks in the bathroom were broken meaning it was not possible to hang towels, shower design, whilst looks great has very poor functionality
- Air conditioning is too powerful for the size of the room, even on the lower fan setting
- Huge credit card surcharges for Amex and Diners

Would I go back - possibly, but only when (like in this case) the Hyatt , Realm or Crowne Plaza was sold out

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Pyrmont_Traveller
Dear Pyrmont Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback we were pleased to see that you returned to the hotel.

We do offer a range of room types ranging in size from the Standard Room to the more spacious Premier Room. We also have plenty of secure undercover parking, now located at the rear of the hotel, and available for our guests to take advantage of during their stay.

Our new restaurant Bicicletta will be opening soon and will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the week. I hope during your next stay with us you will be able to experience this new restaurant as it will be a great addition to the Hotel.

Please be sure to always let a member of staff know of any maintenance issues you discover in the room. We do work hard to make sure each room is perfect for our guests, though if something requires attention during your stay our staff are here to help.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.