“Plenty of choices. All very tasty”

The Scholar Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #559 of 1,408 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Have been here a few times and it is always very satisfying.

Yum Cha is always popular with a good mix of mums, dads and kids. There is little fuss here, just good tasty food choices. The trolley comes around frequently with a variety of dishes. Plenty of seafood choices. Recommend the lobster dumplings and the salt and pepper lobster. Yummy.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading the reviews for the Scholar I was hesitant to spend my money here however hubby wanted a family Yum Cha lunch for his birthday so I chose here, partly also as we don't have many options here in Canberra for good Yum Cha (that I know of). Having lived in Hong Kong we have been spoilt for great Yum Cha, so I wasn't going to compare and went with an open mind.
I am a vegetarian and after asking, the only option provided were green veggies in oyster sauce (they were happy to make this dish without the oyster sauce also and did) and steamed rice..so for me it wasn't great in terms of variety. However the rest of our party, really enjoyed their Yum Cha. The place isn't as dirty as expected after reading the reviews, the wait staff we had were friendly enough and we had no issues with service, we got what we asked for when we asked for it.
All in all, I wouldn't race back but if you want decent Yum Cha well priced, the Scholar will provide that.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

When I go to a restaurant I want to enjoy a nice meal but this was certainly not the case.

Firstly, we had to beg for clean bowls and chopsticks as several of the 'clean' ones on the table were dirty. I am vegetarian, a word whose meaning seemed completely unknown by staff. After asking several confused staff members for something not containing meat, I was served some Asian green veggies, which were quite nice.

Then I was served some dumplings which were supposedly just vegetables and peanuts. Unfortunately these also happened to have some kind of animal meat in them also! I cannot believe that staff are so poorly informed as to what is in the food!

Many of the staff just palmed us off when we asked for things and we never received the tea we ordered. I ended up walking out and eating elsewhere. I highly recommend that you choose any one of the amazing restaurants around the same area.

1  Thank Kirk12345
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have been here several times for yum cha over the years but hadn't been for a while. The food was quite good and it was well priced. The service was slick but I couldn't describe it as being in any way friendly. Not a place to linger over a long lunch but recommended for a quick and satisfying meal.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've been to yumcha twice at The Scholar because I'd been told its the best in Canberra. Well the food is ok, but the cleaoiliness of the place is bad enough that I won't be back. The ladies toilets were disgusting!!

1  Thank bottega s