“Expensive yum cha for average dishes!”

The Scholar Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #519 of 1,419 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Only 3 dish prices $4.80, $7.80, $8.80 with very few of the lower range on offer! Most dumplings were mid priced.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

For someone being to many quality yumcha places in Syd and Mel, this one is very poor. Not only its food but also the service. Been to Scholar twice, left pretty disappointed on both occasions. The essence of Yumcha is you can look what is in the food trolley and order what you want without having to wait for too long. I understand restaurants can get busy. However on both occasions, we had to wait for ages to even get a hold of a staff to order some food. The food trolleys always go to certain tables first, those people seem like the relatives or friends of someone run or own the restaurants. Then the trolleys will return to the kitchen after all the food were ordered, then repeat. The customers sat at the two tables next to mine were both quite angry as they were starving and couldn't get to order food.

But again, i am not surprised its business is still doing well, because of its good location and the fact some Canberrans never been to a proper Yumcha place, so they have nothing to compare with.

2  Thank Kakui C
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having just came back from a dinner at The Scholar restaurant, I found it to be a significant improvement from what I've experienced in the past.

We had a crab which was on discount if you paid cash along with three normal dishes and some rice. The crab was exceptionally tasty with vermicelli and arrived without delay.

The service was a big improvement from the past with the waiters/waitresses all getting proper uniforms (which wasn't the case in the past). Attitude was good and responded to our requests for tea refills etc very quickly.

Finishing off the dinner was either fruit or tofu/honey. We tried the latter as we haven't seen this option in the past but it wasn't my cup of tea to be honest. I'd still go for the fruit.

You pay the bill out at the front counter and they do accept credit cards but as mentioned earlier, you get discount on their crabs (at the moment) if you pay cash.

The only problem with restaurants in Dickson is that parking is hard to find. You might have to go to the parking area near Woolworths.

I'd recommend if you're after a decent Chinese restaurant in Canberra.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Have been here a few times and it is always very satisfying.

Yum Cha is always popular with a good mix of mums, dads and kids. There is little fuss here, just good tasty food choices. The trolley comes around frequently with a variety of dishes. Plenty of seafood choices. Recommend the lobster dumplings and the salt and pepper lobster. Yummy.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading the reviews for the Scholar I was hesitant to spend my money here however hubby wanted a family Yum Cha lunch for his birthday so I chose here, partly also as we don't have many options here in Canberra for good Yum Cha (that I know of). Having lived in Hong Kong we have been spoilt for great Yum Cha, so I wasn't going to compare and went with an open mind.
I am a vegetarian and after asking, the only option provided were green veggies in oyster sauce (they were happy to make this dish without the oyster sauce also and did) and steamed rice..so for me it wasn't great in terms of variety. However the rest of our party, really enjoyed their Yum Cha. The place isn't as dirty as expected after reading the reviews, the wait staff we had were friendly enough and we had no issues with service, we got what we asked for when we asked for it.
All in all, I wouldn't race back but if you want decent Yum Cha well priced, the Scholar will provide that.