“Great business / short stay hotel”
Review of Burbury Hotel

Burbury Hotel
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“Great business / short stay hotel”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Efficient, great staff, modern rooms, close to parliament, free undercover parking on the weekend. Couldn't really fault much.

Precinct area is good too. Nice pub across the road (the name escapes me).

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank werdna00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Close to work in the Parliamentary Circle, this hotel ticks all the boxes. The staff were helpful and the room was very modern. Recommend breakfast on level 7 with great views looking out at Canberra.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank skubascott
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here as i was in Canberra for business. Hotel staff were great, very helpful when i enquired about local eating places.
Room was clean and tidy, loved the bathroom area. Only negative i have is that the lighting was a bit to dull - would prefer more light as I often spend time in room working.
There is also a charge for overnight parking - do not agree with this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank slnkelly
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Arrived yesterday after a 3 hour drive with room not ready. Hotel staff member at front desk could not tell me how long a wait until it would be ready. Possibly 45 minutes maybe 60, but said they would call to let me know when ready. We had a function to go to an hour later and wanted to have a quick swim in between but couldn't as we had nowhere to get dressed and ready to go. So we waited an hour and then had to go back to ask how much longer we needed to wait. They then said it was ready although they hadn't called us as advised to let us know. When we finally got back to the room after the function I realised they still hadn't put the roll out bed I had requested at check in. I called to ask where it was and was informed that the were no more available. On my insistence of the importance of having the roll out the lady said she will ring back and let me know. She then called and said there was one more available. As I went to make a nice hot breakfast this morning with the food I bought and planned to cook with the advertised cooktop in the Burbury Suite I discovered that there isn't one. Pretty annoyed since this is why I paid the extra for the Suite as opposed to the room. I now have food that will all be wasted and have to pay more money to eat out. This is especially inconvenient since we are down here for my son to compete in a soccer tournament and diet is especially important when playing at the level my son is playing, who needs to eat small meals throughout the day to keep his energy level up. When I called the front desk to enquire about this the man was quite rude saying 'What exactly is it that you want to cook?' Did he want to know my 5 day meal plan??? They have come back and said they can not offer me a room with the facilities I booked and paid for but can only suggest that I give the food I have bought to the chef when I want it cooked and he will cook it for me. So every time time I want food I have to ring and converse with the chef and wait for him to cook it. This seems like a not so seamless and inefficient way of going about my holiday. Not to mention with my son playing two times a day and with us coming and going timing the organisation of these meals is no doubt going to prove to be difficult over our 5 day stay since I won't always know in advance. And a stress when travelling on my own with a child, one I can definitely do without. So it is now 5:30pm on my second night I have approached them 3 times today, the first being at 10am asking for this issue to be resolved and STILL no resolution. I'm not really sure what we are having for dinner tonight now since I can't cook what I brought to cook and I've already had to go out and spend $30 on lunch today which wasn't part of my expenditure budget. Not really wanting to fork out more money for a big mistake the hotel is responsible for. Not happy customer!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bianca B
HotelRealm_GM, General Manager at Burbury Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Bianca,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Burbury Hotel.

I would like to aplogise for the miscommunication on our end regarding the cooktop in a Burbury Suite that was not available during your stay.

I believe that you were offered two possible solutions whilst staying at the hotel. You were offered: Solution 1 – our staffed offered to have our Chef's cook all your meals for you. You advised that this was not convenient for you.

Solution 2: Our staff offered you full use of our Terrace kitchen. This also was rejected.

Our staff proceeded then to offer you substitute meals, free of charge and this was also declined.

Our management went on to offer you 20% discount from Ostani.

I would be more than happy to discuss this further and provide adequate compensation, please email me directly patl@realmprecinct.com.au

Regards,

Patrick Lonergan
Director of Hotels
Bondi, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had room 114 which was large and stylish. Plenty of tech gadgets including iphone dock and Apple Mini , TV was nicely built-in and had a few pay channels as well as standard local channels, wi-fi was free and reliable. The bathroom featured a shower only but the shower head was adjustable to different heights - and had nice strong pressure. The toilet was separated from the rest of the room by just a frosted glass door which might be daunting for some! The sink/vanity area was conveniently separate to the toilet/shower. As mentioned in other reviews the room is quite dark - which is deliberate but not very useful if you are here on business. Check-in was fast and the staff friendly and efficient. Parking under the hotel is free on weekends but when we tried to use it at 10 pm Saturday night it was already full ! Fortunately there were many free street parking options close by (on weekends). I'd be happy to come back here next time we visit Canberra.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bondi_Phil
Albion Park, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night whilst attending the James Blunt concert. We booked this hotel as a 'mystery hotel' & were very happy with the price we paid for the quality of the hotel. The rooms decor was modern & we loved the separate bathroom area that was cleverly designed. The only downside to this hotel is that the bar, eateries & room service all closed by 10pm. This did not affect our stay @ the hotel as we went into the city & enjoyed an awesome midnight snack @ a cool cafe. We would stay at the hotel again :)

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank NicoleFife
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My room at the hotel was very spacious, well equipped and had a very large and comfortable bed. The tiled floors and large bathroom gave the room an almost executive feel, however the lighting in the room, particularly in the main living area was quite low for my liking. Reception staff were very friendly and room service was good but the breakfast buffet was actually excellent - on one of the top floors and providing an excellent view of town.

Excellent choice for short work related stays if you don't mind low lighting in the room.

Room Tip: If you like more lighting, I would ask if there are rooms with better lighting