“It's Quality, It's Clean. Happy to recommend.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra
Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
“It's Quality, It's Clean. Happy to recommend.”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Traveling with my daughter for a 1 night stop we were treated to a twin room with very comfortable beds, a clean room and extremely nice fittings. Everything was quality. We were driving a large size delivery van and parking was no problem in a secure area at the front. The restaurant was great but was a bit more upmarket than what I needed traveling with a child and would use the room service next time in the same situation. This is a good place if you are looking for quality. I paid $200 and felt I got good value. I can recommend.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear Madmaso1234,

Thank you for your review. It is fantastic to read how well the product and service suited your needs and even more rewarding to see that the value component was at a high level. You may be interested to know that we are trialing a family buffet over the coming school holidays with a view to extending it to more weekends.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay.

Matt Anderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at the Crown Plaza over the long weekend for 3 nights. It's my 2nd stay at the hotel and my husbands 1st. One thing I really like about the rooms is the configuration of the bed in the middle of the room and facing the large window - we had a nice view. The check in was fast and helpful, the receptionist informed us that parking next door in the Exhibition Centre was cheaper than the hotel rate of $18 a day so we took advantage of that.

Had breakfast every morning in the Red Salt restaurant buffet style which was a typical buffet with lots of choices and the chef making eggs to order.

Only down side - Saturday night we ordered room service, the wait was almost an hour and half, problem was that when the food arrived it was cold. We called the restaurant and they gave us 25% off the room service bill - better than nothing i guess. Other than that hiccup, we enjoyed our time at Crown - the location of the hotel is very good, lovely Glebe Park next door and most of Canberra's retail shopping in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Floor 6 opposite the park or the mall
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Mizzjupiter,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to return to us for this trip to Canberra.
I was thrilled to read your very favourable comments about the overall service, product and location. I must apologise however for the let down in regard to Room service on Saturday night. The experience you had is not our goal level of service at all and we have taken thorough steps to ensure this type of slip in standards cannot re-occur.
I am glad however to read your reference to it as a "hiccup" and trust that we will have the chance to welcome you back when I'm sure we can redeem the impression this slip left.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Mat Anderson
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I have stayed at this property many times before, but this is my first review.

I cannot find any fault in the Crowne Plaza Canberra. The front desk staff are so efficient, check in is always a breeze, and it’s the same during check out, this is what I expect when travelling and it is always delivered at this property.

I was lucky to get upgraded to a suite during this last stay thanks to my Platinum Elite status, unfortunately I wasn’t staying long enough to enjoy it.

All the rooms including the standard rooms are always immaculate and clean and are perfect for someone travelling on business, with large desks and plenty of electrical plugs for all your gadgets.

The location of this property is awesome, everything you need is within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear VoyageReport,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the public. I am thrilled to read your very favourable comments about the service, quality, recognition and location that impact your preferences so heavily. This is our absolute goal.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the suite albeit briefly. As one of our most loyal guests we look forward to offering you this level of recognition again on a future stay as part our Priority Club Rewards program.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. It is our pleasure to look after all our guests and especially our most regular guests.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I returned to Crowne Plaza Canberra again this week for a overnight stay. I have to say the staff (i cant remember the name)that did check out for me is the best so far at any IGH hotel. She was very professional, warm and caring. Only took her seconds to fix everything for me. She also asked me if I need some help with a taxi? there was a long line waiting for taxi at lobby, so I decide to walk to my meeting. I told her I will walk and she told me how to get there then she went away to get an umbrella for me because it was raining outside. what a wonderful staff member, Thank you!

Check in was fine, already checked in when I arrived. 5th floor room is pretty good. I was expecting a big bed but got twin beds. Never mind it was very comfortable bed and I had a good sleep. The only issue is TV remote control, it does not work properly. I tried all number house keeping, room services, reception and so on but no one answered my call. It was however nearly 8pm in the evening.

It was another comfortable stay and I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear melbcollege,

Thank you for this review. I am really pleased that the product and particularly the service created such a positive impact on your stay.
Thank you also for the comment about the phones. This should not be the case and has prompted further investigation on our behalf.
We look forward to the chance to welcome you back on a future visit and genuinely appreciate you choosing us to stay with in Canberra.

Sydney Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Have stayed in this hotel a few times before. Just had a 1 night stay this time. Location of hotel is excellent. Within walking distance to lots of restaurants, the main shopping centre in Civic, the swimming pool and Commonwealth Park.
Beds are sublimely comfortable and rooms very well set up, especially for business travellers. Basic bathroom, but stocked with a good supply of amenities.
This hotel can get very pricey when Parliament is sitting (as does everywhere in Canberra), but if you have a choice travel on a weekend or non sitting date.

Room Tip: If you can spend the money, the park view rooms have a much better aspect. Other rooms face the carp...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cazzyg,

Thank you for your review. I was thrilled to read your very positive comments on how our product complemented our excellent location. I really pleased that you felt the deluxe rooms overlooking Glebe Park presented good value and I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back on a future visit to the Nation’s Capital.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Reasonable stay. The room was pleasant enough. Big windows, plenty of towels and comfortable enough bed. Breakfast was very good and the staff were most friendly. Lots of politicians and civil servants having meetings in the place, as you'd expect in Canberra. From memory, the rates were pretty expensive, but it was the period of the city's 100th birthday celebration when we were there, so maybe there was a hike in the prices. As for location, that was fine. Only one drawback that we found was the lack of food on arriving very late at night. There was no restaurant open and we were directed to the casino next door which was pretty dire. Never ceases to amaze how little there is to do and how few places there are to eat in Canberra after 10pm!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear HK Ivan,

Thank you for your review. It was great to read of the positive impression the facility, staff and particularly breakfast had on your stay and I’m thrilled that we were able to help you enjoy a successful stay in Canberra. Thank you also for the feedback on late night dining. We do occasionally have guest’s needing a late night meal and while our room service menu can be served 24 hours, realize that this does not suit everyone. While the demand here is very low which has guided our offerings thus far, I assure you we will continue to look at better ways to meet this need, as the urgency when hungry late at night is something we want to be able to assist our guests with.
Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back on a future stay.

Blacktown, NSW
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights. The bed is comfortable, the room was clean, plenty of hot water and good towels. It was also quiet which considering how full the hotel was a relief. The decor is the usual dull brown/grey/cream with 'modern' art.
Breakfast on the Saturday wasn't too bad, didn't really have to wait for a table but the 'hot' water for tea wasn't and there was only one barista and she also served so coffee was a long time coming. Sunday morning, well what a joke. The hotel knew they had a lot of guests but they had the same number of staff as on the Saturday. The queue was very long, we waited twenty minutes for a table. There were lots of spare tables but no-one clearing them, the two only waitresses were run off their feet. They run out of plates and glasses, the bread was not kept topped up but we were lucky the hot food was topped up as we went to get our breakfast. The food is average, not unpleasant just normal hotel fare but the wait was not appreciated.
The hotel is very close to Canberra Central shopping Mall, so convenient for that.
We also had dinner here on Saturday night. I can understand no table cloths for breakfast but really not at dinner? Our entrees were really good but our main course was very ho-hum. My husband had fish which was cooked really well but the chips were soggy and the vegetables overcooked. My rissoto was tasteless, no seasoning and the chirizo was cut into tiny pieces. The staff though were really nice, not their fault about the food.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lift area we were in 448 and we didn't hear anything but others clos...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dreamalegria,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us in Canberra. It was great to read your very positive comments about the service you received and I know the team will feel heartened by the fact that despite some significant lapses in our normal standards over this weekend their genuine care still shone through.
Please accept my apologies for what was obviously a very poor breakfast service. We have let ourselves down with inadequate preparation and this is as unacceptable to us as it was to our guests that morning. This is by no means the standard we usually offer or that to which we aspire and I feel very comfortable assuring you that a repeat of such a poor situation is not something our guests need worry about. Thank you also for the feedback about the dinner food. Our menu has changed recently and received very positive feedback however there were elements requiring better preparation in the dinner service also regrettably, which I feel sure have impacted your meal. We will certainly be following up in this area as well to make sure our goal standards are reinforced and delivered consistently in future.

Thank you again and I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back and allow you the chance to see our true colours on a future stay.