“alright, but maybe not for light sleepers”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I stayed here during a conference and everyone in our party had difficulties with noise in the rooms--either traffic from the busy road outside, loud music and partying in (I think) the rooms upstairs, an alarm constantly going off in the courtyard, etc. Otherwise the room I had was comfortable and clean and seemed newly renovated. The staff was a mixed bag--some were very friendly and helpful while others not so much. The location is good, a short walk to the city center. Internet prices were exorbitant, as usual in hotels in Canberra (and much of Australia).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nightowlcb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 12 October 2012

we found the Mercure to be well located to Canberra, only mints from the city.
The only thing that we were not happy with was the room was not to the normal cleanliness we are used to from accor. overall we would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gsbees
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I ended up at the Mercure by chance as it was a Parliamentary sitting week and the Hyatt was full. It's obviously not a 5 star hotel so I was not expecting too much but overall this was a poor experience. The hotel is marketed as heritage but in this case it's code for outdated and shabby. The whole place has a feeling of yesteryear about it, but the glory days are long gone. It has had some updating. My room had new carpet, for example. But they had been too lazy to move all of the furniture so had cut the new carpet around the wardrobe, allowing the old one to be seen underneath (as the wardrobe has legs). It was a bit like sixty minute makeover!
Chief amongst my issues though was no hot water in the morning - something one would think went out with Fawlty Towers. I washed in cold water. This is clearly not uncommon at this hotel given other reviews and the gentleman who checked out before me had the same experience. I got offered free breakfast for the inconvenience but really don't think a $26 breakfast compensates for no hot water in a $220 room.
The situation with taxis was also a joke with people waiting for ages and no sense from the staff that they wished to help. This is a 3 star property at best, but even as such a property it would rate poorly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jc3012
Reviewed 11 October 2012

As an Advantage Plus member friends and I enjoyed our stay but the room was small with only one chair to sit on. It was OK but basic considering the price. Seems to be the same basic accommodation whenever we book with Accor and don't upgrade.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shiny07
Reviewed 10 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

From the moment I arrived at this supposed 4 star hotel it just stated to fall apart. The rooms are pretty basic. I had an apartment. No heating in 2 of the 3 bedrooms. 1 bathroom to share between 3 bedrooms. No hot water first morning,no coffee machine at breakfast. Pillows are one type only which is fully puffed. You can over look some issues but underlying the problem is poor quality staff. Not once was I offered an apology for some of these problems. When I pay $400 a night and I get a cold shower I expect someone at the front desk to be apologising and making alternative arrangements not just telling me thatbthey will report it. This morning I had another wonderful experience when I followed one of the young waitresses into breakfast. Iwas 3 steps behind her. Rather than hold the door open for me,she just slipped through and let it slam in my face. Conclusion is that the hotel does not employ service minded people and provides no coaching?definitely not accor standard.

Room Tip: Should be your hotel of last resort
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kangaone
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We travelled to Canberra for Floriade in 2 October out 4 October 2012, chose this hotel as it was close to Civic, and also as an A Club Platinum member I had some points to burn.

Booked a Loft Room at $ 249.00 per night.

Here is what we like.
---------------------------
Spacious Room, Kitchen, Dining Table and nice Bathroom. Room service was quick at about 15 minutes for desert.

What we didn’t like
---------------------------
- Check-in was unfriendly, completely no acknowledgment of the A-Club Status.
- Checkout was slow even though I had already presented my points at check-in to speed up the process; I felt that they didn’t want to redeem them.
- The Wi-Fi was hopeless and kept dropping out, we were at the rear of the hotel in rooms 51X, tried an IPhone, and Ipad and a laptop, all slow and continued to drop out.
- Construction started at 7:15am on Thursday morning and that kissed good bye to any sort of sleep in we were hoping for. Work was being done it all four rooms around us. This included drilling and hammering into the walls of the rooms next to ours.
- Housekeeping needs do more work as there was plenty of dust on the bed side tables, and I don’t think had ever been vacuumed behind the couch downstairs. The desk in the Lounge room under the TV had not been dusted for a while either.

One serious matter is the stairs in the loft room. The stairs don’t have any tread which I found surprising and the carpet is very smooth, almost polyester like. As a result my 6 year old slipped on a step, but more importantly my wife, slipped down about 8 steps. Not until we got home did we realise how bad it was when she had several bruises on her side and more pain.

I don’t think that I would return to this hotel, or the Mercure brand as they all seem to be going down the same path; it’s a Novatel price for an All Seasons Product. The price of $ 249.00 whilst at first thought was a good price, after our experience it was completely overpriced, I’ve stayed at the Hyatt in Canberra for $ 230.00 a night and was miles ahead as you would expect.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family