“Great value stay”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Canberra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the old part of the hotel my room must have been above the downstairs bar and bistro and I could hear everything downstairs as I write this I can hear the TV in the bar. Some of the staff were rude, some where great. Some food in bistro not worth money was tiny other food was huge. Would stay here again as I love the heritage buildings but would request a different room

• Stayed August 2014
Scott G, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear anniemc82,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We will be discussing with our team members as the majority of our comments are positive regarding our team. We are also investigating the noise issue from the bar. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Mercure Canberra
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm currently a guest at this property and find myself wanting out of the agreement.

If you look at my other reviews I look at 2 things primarily and base my experience on 1) Internet access 2) gym facility.

Internet access is charged at AU$6.50 for an hour or AU$24.50 for 24 hours and these are continuous uses. Multiple devices are not allowed (it defeats the point of username and password creation when signing up). Internet access is described as high speed but at 2mbps up and down (results are based on Speedtest.net) I could not use Skype to communicate with my family.

The gym is tiny! 1 treadmill, 1 rowing machine, 1 normal bike, 1 flat bike and some dumb bells. The room is smaller than the hotel room itself and I can't image what it would be like with more than 1 person using it at a time. There is no drinking fountain in the gym so take your own water with you. Despite not having publicized opening and closing times, the gym access is 24 hours but the lights go off at n time. Yes, n is a variable which is yet to be revealed. So you cannot enjoy the gym at any time of the day.

The reception area is warm and welcoming with guests relaxing on couches around the fireplace and you could hear that the bar is abuzz with gentle classy music.

That changed later that evening when music of the not so classy kind disturbed my relaxation (my room was #133).

I ordered room service on Sunday for lunch and dinner as I had to prepare for presentations on the Monday. My plates were not collected despite being left outside and when I went for a workout that evening I decided to place the dinnerware inside my room.

After coming back from work on Monday evening I found my plates still inside of my room and the trash had not been emptied!

The hotel does not have elevator access to all parts of the room so be aware of this if you have heavy and many pieces of luggage.

The duty manager Warren was quick to address my concerns and alleviate my immediate frustration of typing a worse review.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Rgdacosta
Dear rgdacosta :

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Mercure Canberra. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure Canberra, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I have discussed your issues with Warren as you pointed out he assisted with some of your concerns and found you a more spacious room to make you feel more comfortable during your stay. With the other issues rest assured we are taking actions to ensure they don't happen again.

Our gym is a basic room however fitted out with state of the art machines. These machines have an energy converter in them that put any generated energy from time spent on the machines back into the power grid which is fantastic for the environment.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Smelt musty and old. Really in need of a Reno. Rooms are very small but are clean. Wouldn't return.
Buffett breakfast was nice and restaurant staff were helpful.
Many other more modern hotels with comparable rates close by.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glen J
Dear GlenJ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations during your recent stay. I will follow up with our housekeeping department regarding your comments as we have not had this issue before. I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity on your next trip to Canberra.