“Fairly Good”

Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah
Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Checkin was good, room was large and clean. Nice shower too. It's obviously not a 5 star hotel but for $100 dollars for a night it was exactly as most would expect it to be.

The doors are very noisy, more so because the door closer closes them hard... But at night you couldn't hear your neighbours, which was good!

Airconditioner worked very well, with each unit having its own AC unit.

Had breakfast at the hotel in the morning, towards the end of service, however the food was still nice and hot and fresh.

Would stay there again

Room Tip: Rooms that face away from the main carpark would be better!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
ibis_Styles_Canberra, General Manager at Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent stay with us. We have noted your comments regarding the door closures and will have this taken into consideration. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ibis_Styles_Canberra, Guest Relations Manager at Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Reviewed 15 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. All the staff here were so friendly and helpful especially the receptionist, Chloe. The beds were so comfortable and the breakfast buffet was fantastic value especially as I had two children with me and they ate free. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to everone I know. THANKYOU for making our stay in Canberra a very enjoyable one.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your great feedback on Trip Advisor. Feedback like yours makes all of the hard work and effort the team put in extremely rewarding. Thanks again and I hope we can look after you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The room was comfortable enough and the kids liked the free Foxtel. We booked two rooms and they were close but not adjacent.

The building has a few quirks. The main corridor has a strange half-level up and half-level down kink in the middle of it (between our two rooms). The main security doors were often not operating and we had to use the night entrance at times, which involves some dangerously unmarked short-fall edges and awkward stairs to navigate with bags.

The parking is free-for-all. We booked two rooms and had a lot of trouble finding one parking space. That may have been caused by a car show in town however and there was an unsealed overflow parking area, so you will find a space if you go far enough.

Another of my pet gripes: rooms had shower-in-a-bath format causing a risk of slipping and taps are accessible only through the shower stream (a problem if the water is too hot and needs adjusting).

Breakfast was good - nothing special but a good range of hot and cold, and decent quality for a hotel buffet breakfast. The pool was right next to the dining room in full view via full height windows. Like the rest of this place, not a major problem but just a bit awkward.

The staff were friendly and very helpful. The reception area was well decorated but the could use more frequent cleaning. We were there 4 days and the same litter was seen on the stairs for the entire time.

Overall, I would recommend this place at the right price as long, as you don't have any special access needs.

Room Tip: The access issues I mentioned apply to the front building where we stayed. Not sure about the buildi...
1  Thank FSS2013
ibis_Styles_Canberra, General Manager at Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We have noted your comments regarding the set of stairs in the middle of the corridor - this is directly above the arch and is higher to let the higher delivery vehicles into the back are of the hotel. The Spa rooms are located on the landing on top of the stairs.

I am pleased to hear that your kids enjoyed the Foxtel channels. The baths with showers are only in one of the blocks of rooms while the remaining 140 rooms are all equipped with only a walk in shower. The hotel has to keep a few rooms with baths for some of our older clientele.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I am all for giving a Company a chance to impress me despite previous negative reviews. We booked for 4 nights and will be leaving after 2.

PROS: Clean room, new carpet and bathroom.

CONS: Bed so hard both my husband and I have sore backs and hips. Room could only be described as "master bedroom" in size - and that was for 3 of us (10 year old accompanying). Very poor check in - left standing waiting for staff to acknowledge us for 10 full minutes (yep, I was watching the clock). One staff member on the telephone, another wandering around in a daze and yet another doing her best to avoid eye contact. Food was extremely overpriced - we read the take away menu that is supposed to be for room service and cringed - $19.50 for a beef burger and $20.50 for a club sandwich (and this would have been delivered in a cardboard box).

We had booked through booking.com and there was no option to choose breakfast. It was only when I went back to Ibis Styles website that I realised breakfast is normally included. When I queried the breakfast deal with the staff member who eventually booked us in, I was advised I could add this for $15 each - continental only.

The cleaning staff all need to be taken back to school and retrained. Their efforts at straightening our room today was limited to making the beds - even though it was extremely evident the floors need vacuuming. The public areas are also a disgrace with them not even looking as though they have seen a vacuum today.

As has been mentioned previously, the property is extremely noisy. Slamming doors, music at full volume, shouting and yahooing all day. And we had requested a room in a quiet area of the hotel! Parking is a major issue with their being over 200 rooms and only enough parking for 30 or so - unless you want to park out the back in the dark and risk your car and belongings. No security in the rooms either - no chain on the doors and the push button can be opened by anyone who has the room key.

Oh and don't bother with the pool. Louts in the pool with beer bottles and cigarettes. Although I raised this with staff immediately, absolutely nothing was done about it. And the pool was as cold as a Canberra winter.

I thought I had seen it all having lived in Canberra for the past 15 months, but this place even stoops below Canberra "standards".

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
2  Thank Unikwa

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments about your recent stay.

I hope you can accept our sincerest apologies for the challenges you encountered with us. It does not represent the quality of service and standard we aim to achieve at our hotel.

Please allow me to comment on some of your concerns more directly. The hotel offers a Take-away menu due to the lay-out of the hotel. Take away packaging is being used as this makes the delivery of the meals easier and faster. The pricing of the takeaway menu is quite competitive and reflective of the specially selected quality ingredients used and generous portion size. The beef burger comprises of premium wagyu beef, toasted bake house bun, black forest smokehouse bacon, mesclun, tomato, beetroot relish and cheese while the Club Sandwich has roasted chicken breast, black forest smokehouse bacon, Swiss cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise on white sliced bread. Both dishes are served with chips and salad.

The hotel offers a very affordable lead in room type and rate that does not include breakfast to a more expensive option that includes from continental to full breakfast options. Accorhotels.com offers the additional facility to pre-purchase a breakfast while making a reservation depending on the room type and special deals guests choose.

I apologize for your perceived lack of parking. The hotel actually has 91 parking bays with an additional +/- 20 spaces on the gravel parking at the back of the property. This area has no street access and is connected to the border with the Capital Golf course. The hotel however cannot guarantee a parking space close to your room.

The pool was very popular over the SummerNats weekend where guests were loud and a little unruly with plenty of children using the pool as well. Management was vigilant over the weekend with my Food & Beverage manager actually staying on the property over the weekend to enforce hotel rules over this period. I personally was at the hotel as well and never experienced any concerns with glass in or near the pool. The lack of action from my staff when you experienced the glass in the pool is however unacceptable and has been addressed with the staff.

I again apologize for your experience as it is as mentioned not the standard service levels of the hotel and kindly contact me directly under gm@ibisstylescanberra.com.au for any further questions you may have.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you again in order to experience our true service.

With kind regards,