“Revisit”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Having stayed here last year I checked the reviews again before booking this year. I was concerned as there were some bad reviews but the experience we had last year was fantastic so I decided to book again.
On arrival we were greeted by a delightful young man, Patrick, he booked us in quickly and was so polite and friendly. We had breakfast in the restaurant each morning, yes Sunday things were a bit slow but the restaurant was packed. It was still a very pleasant experience, they could have hurried us but they didn't and we had a lovely relaxing breakfast.
The Speakers Bar is a fantastic place to sit and have a quiet drink. The staff in here are wonderful, they remember the guests and are extremely polite and helpful. They make you feel as if you are the only people in the hotel.
Our room was lovely. On Saturday night there was a wedding reception at the hotel and we thought it would be a bit noisy, we were wrong, once we shut the door to our room we could hear nothing and had a fantastic sleep.
We will be back as our daughter is at university in Canberra and we will be visiting her.
We have had two very good experiences at The Hyatt, the staff are all lovely and very polite.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Hotel Canberra

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Travelled to Canberra for business and decided to stay a couple of nights extra to do the 'touristy' thing and see some of the historical sights - boy was I glad I chose this place! The hotel setting is superb and the room I stayed in (Park Balcony King) was very spacious. The staff were extremely friendly, provided prompt service at all times and were very well versed with details of tourist hot spots such as Parliament House, galleries and museums all within walking distance of the hotel. Internet was charged at $15/day, however unlike some other hotels I have been at, the speed was irrepressibly fast whether via wi-fi or cable (I work online a lot so this is crucial for me). Had dinner via room service. The options were plentiful and food quality great. Breakfast was at the 'Ambassador Lounge' and continental, with a large array of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fruits and pastry items to rival any buffet breakfast. Overall, the stay was magnificent and I will be coming back to use this hotel as a base to discover more of the galleries of museums in Canberra (which were also fantastic).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Goh-X
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Having just read Anne2578's review (from Sydney), I cannot believe we stayed in the same hotel at the same time! We also just stayed on the Hyatt Club level and utilised the Ambassador Lounge which, unlike Anne, we found to be outstanding. The 'continental breakfast' is very generous with a vast array of cereals, fruit, cheeses, meats and smoked salmon - if you want a cooked breakfast you order room service or have breakfast in the cafe. It is unrealistic to expect more. The canapés and drinks served during the evening from 6-8 are also extensive and impressive. The real issue are guests who choose to stay in the lounge for pre-dinner drinks in lieu of a meal! We have stayed at a variety of places in Canberra - including the designated 5 star 'Realm' - and our experience proves the Hyatt is THE place to stay. Yes, it is more expensive, but the decor, the service and convenient situation cannot be faulted. It is easy walking distance to the Old Parliament House, the National Gallery, Portrait Gallery and the Burley Griffin. We found the service to be outstanding. We also enjoyed our Club room which was so quiet with a delightful, private balcony area overlooking established trees, not other high rises.
The Hyatt appeals to a particular - more mature, discriminating - demographic; if you enjoy a relaxed, quiet atmosphere and have a keen sense of history, you will enjoy The Hyatt. To describe it as 'old' is a 'cheap shot' which is unfair. We slept very well during our 3 nights without disturbance from any plumbing issues. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.
Our visit this week-end was wonderful; my husband and I enjoyed The Hyatt immensely. The staff were so professional and always pleasant. We will definitely be back. By the way, a tip from the Hyatt reservations staff: always check their website before booking with other sites as they can often be more competitive!

Room Tip: The Club level is more expensive, but it is worth the access to the Ambassadors lounge and the peace...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally D
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel, expecting fantastic service for the price charged!
We booked a club room , with access to the club room, breakfast was adequate, only continental, we would have thought for the price a hot breakfast would be offered, my husband to find cutlery in the kitchen for our breakfast.
The access to the lounge is okay, but never any teaspoons or any one here to help, the canapés and drinks for the two hours are fine, cheeses when they ran out were not replaced.
We just attempted to eat at the Tea Lounge , told quite abruptly that they are "fully booked", the young woman in charge made us wait while she finished her "business" , they said we could sit for 25 minutes, her attitude was very "haughty". Plenty of tables outside we could have been accommodated at?... She made us feel awful! We had to head to the Ambassador lounge and order room service.
Our club room is adequate in size, the only problem is we were awoken by either toilet flushing or shower running next door, several times at an early hour, yes the hotel is old and that is why we chose is for the ambience but surely the plumbing should have been updated?.. Quite disappointed , Canberra is a wonderful city to visit. It is very sad that ONE staff member can effect the entire stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne2578
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Have stayed in this Hotel a few times and it seems the standards have dropped. Does the Manager really care?

The location is excellent being so close to Parliament House and the rooms are really good.

Too many annoying problems arose though:

-the airconditioning in the rooms don't cool the room. After being switched on it makes a minimal change to the room temp despite efforts to do so. I wished to cool the room but couldn't - it is summer! We reported this but nothing changed.

- the cost for drinks in the bar is an outrageous rip off.

- the coffee is utterly disgusting and the barrista's need training (I think Vittoria is the brand). I purchased it twice and it has to be the worst coffee I have had anywhere. It was served way too hot, tasted burnt and was far too strong. I was unable to drink it.

- the cost for breakfast is also outrageous. $12 for toast is a rip-off = $6 per slice. Couldn't get any butter - where was the butter? There was none, you had to ask for it apparently. The service in the restaurant was lacking. Whilst everyone was polite, we asked if there were any papers to read with breakfast and were told a paper would be brought to the table. It never arrived and neither did the water we also asked for seperately. After giving up waiting and getting the water ourselves at the self service area it came with some floating plastic (glad wrap) in it which was dangerous and easily could have been choked on. Unbelieveable! It must have been inside the cup somehow???

- when we checked in we were asked if we wanted a newspaper delivered each morning and I ticked yes. The newspaper never arrived either day.

- shouldn't you expect that at a 5 star hotel your luggage would be collected from the taxi and assistance given you to enable you are checked in quickly and efficiently? Not here!

I stay mostly 5 star when I travel but this place has lost the plot and doesn't compare well. Better not happen next time or I'll go elswhere forever. This is supposed to be the best in Canberra. It isn't anymore. Pull up your socks Hyatt!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Simon C
Reviewed 31 January 2013

For a 2 night stopover, the hotel proved to be a quiet, deceptively unassuming, architectually significant and most pleasing backdrop to our visit to the TL exhibition at the National Gallery within walking distance along the lake. We had breakfast and dinner (buffet) at the hotel each day of our stay and both met our individual needs and indulgences! We couldn't fault our stay except it would be great if the hotel were to give credit by acknowledging and naming the artists whose work adorns many of the walls throughout the building.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

I have previously given Hyatt Canberra a great review however my husband and I stayed here for a few nights prior to Christmas in a Club room and had a few dreadful experiences particularly with service in the main tea lounge area and the cafe/restaurant.

Thw hotel itself and public areas (except function rooms which are dark and dated out the back of the hotel) are beautiful and Rooms were lovely (though bathrooms could do with an upgrade from the black dated marble) and we had good service from concierge (Michael?) and Ambassador lounge.

The restaurant for a five star hotel is pretty lacking and is really just a cafe with a buffet which is a bit circa 1994. As the Hyatt is not really near many restaurants or other eating options it really needs something more. Service was poor with long waits for eggs and also waitress it asking if we wanted tea or coffee then when when we asked she forgot to bring it (and kept forgetting after asking two more times over the hour).

Wanting a table for drinks with friends (which we have done every Christmas for ten years with no hassles) we were told they were full and had a private function do couldn't accommodate us at all. Without giving you the whole sordid drama the hotel manager got involved and it is amazing there was suddenly a table free (the whole courtyard balcony was free and other non booked customers also seated after us no hassles) and we were seated (funnily enough the private function was already set up in the courtyard but didn't start for another 3 hours) though then they decided not to serve us (took 45 mins to order a drink). They were beyond rude to us - perhaps because we didn't look the part ( I had ripped jeans on - mind you they were designer ripped jeans!!)

You had to be there to appreciate how bad it was (so bad it was funny) - I can't do it justice - but it is apparent from our few nights that service is not a focus anymore for the Hyatt - they need to up their training and recruitment practices A LOT. No doubt there are lots of positives and it can be great but we had a bad experience and will no longer do our annual Christmas stay.

The concierge (who was appalled at how we were treated as he witnessed some pod it himself) slipped us a bottle of wine as we left as he was so embarrassed - he was divine but unfortunately one awesome person can't make up for the bad bad service we got (ps I did just want to complain directly to the hotel but they don't have feedback forms in the room anymore and on checkout we were told we would be sent a survey and feedback request via email - which 5 weeks later we haven't received - so hence feedback here).

• Stayed: December 2012