“Updated and comfortable hotel”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 25 February 2013

A convenient hotel for visits to downtown Canberra. It is approx 15 minutes walking time to Civic Centre. There is a charge for car parking but public parking is available just over the road.
It seems the hotel was recently refreshed and updated. I found my room to be modern and comfortable. The bed was exceptionally so with an excellent mattress and pillows.
I did notice street traffic noise as my room faced the street towards Civic and also the nearby freeway projected traffic sounds into the room, that is until I discovered the older style window frame was ajar and closing it improved the situation, but did not totally eliminate the traffic sounds.
The restaurant was quite large, modern and attractive. The unattractive feature though was the $29 charge for a full breakfast. This I thought was somewhat exhorbitant and unrealistic.
The room price is also rather high but I found options exist to negotiate a better deal, but still remaining with a relatively high rate compared with many other accommodation options in Canberra.
Overall though a reasonable hotel to stay at if convenience is the need.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room facing the rear car park might be a quieter option.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tastony2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Overall I was happy with my stay. Had a free upgrade to a King room from their website. Upon arrival I was put in a Queen room. I had to ask for the King room. Once in the King room I immediately noticed the Street noise. It also had ashared balcony which I did not like at all.

I noticed that light switches, light fittings and the tops of cupboards were covered in dust, I expect more from somewhere meant to be 4 star.

The room attendant woke me up at 9am on the dot. However when I called several hours later for a the room to be made up he was back quickly.

The restaurant was very expensive and the menu rather restricted.

Overall id likely come v again, but only be willing to pay sub $ 200 per night.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank 83poolie
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This review is slightly bisaed (but still truthful!) because I'm related to someone who works in the restaurant at this motel. The motel is conveniently placed within walking distance of ANU and the Civic CBD, but is really quite and peaceful. I have eaten a couple of times in the restaurant and the service and food have always been exceptional. I stayed 3 nights at the motel while working in Canberra and the rooms are very comfortable, particularly the bed. Great bar/restaurant/relaxation area downstairs, with the pool close by. Highly recommended - H

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2013

First, the positive points. The hotel is close to the ANU. Their 'dream beds' are pretty comfy!! Probably the best feature of this hotel to me. However, while it was clean, it was a little on the dusty side. I probably noticed it more than most people would, being highly sensitive to dust and allergic to it. Having gotten used to complimentary bottled water in many hotels, I realised to my dismay that the bottles placed next to the bed had little price tags. By then I had finished half the bottle. It was hard to tell what was complimentary. The signage could have been clearer. Check in took 45 minutes. Apparently the system was down but having told us they would sort out the room availability manually, they seemed to forget that they'd told us to wait and didn't get back to us. I would probably stay there again for its proximity to the ANU.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank platypi
DonGoode, General Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Our proximaty to the Australian National Univerity ensures we have a concistant presence of guests associated with events at the ANU.
Many of our guests also take advanantage of the arrangements we have in place for the access to the campus gymnasium which has a greater variety of equipment and more space than our own facility.One of the key measurements of our performance is attention to detail .Customers who take the trouble to advise us of areas where we may be found wanting are truley "our best friends" Such feed back keeps us on top of our game ensurring concistant standards of service delivery , product quality and presentation of clean and safe failiites in line with our guests expectations.
Unfortunately you experienced a situation where our server crashed ( technology, such a marvelous thing - when it works!) Having to change over to manual systems is not something we get a lot of practice with, and I apologise for the delays and inconvenience you had to endure.
Your comment in regard to keeping one`s customers in the communications loop is spot on .
Communication ,such an easy process yet regularily taken for granted.
Once again ,Thank you for you valuable feed back.

Best regards,
Don.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here the Saturday and Sunday night and it will now be our preferred hotel when in Canberra. Centrally located and an easy stroll to the CBD or a short cab ride to the parliamentary triangle and Manuka - it makes getting around easy. Check in and check out was handled efficiently and in a friendly manner. The refurb works well. All in all a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have stayed here for many years, whenever I visit Canberra. I am now 86 years old and the last trip I took early this month, January 2013, with my daughter was even better than previous visits. Our room has been refurbished and the bathroom is now superb with a rainshower head on the shower, no step into the shower - ideal for old lady legs. The beds were excellent and the balcony looking out on to the lake is the icing on the cake. We took a Toulouse Lautrec package which was excellent value and included breakfast as well as tickets and a catalogue. There is no way breakfast could be improved as there was so much variety and quality. Underground parking used to be free to guests but now costs $12 - mmm, convenient but!?

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the lifts. It can be a bit noisy in the early evening.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is one of two hotels I like to use in Canberra - but it is often fully booked so you need to get in early. The location is great, next to the CBD and close to ANU. The rooms are comfortable (and some are in need of refurbishment which was going on while I was last there) and clean. Paying for WiFi and parking is an issue as that can easily add $40 or more a night to your stay. In this day and age WiFi is like any other room amenity and should be part of the package, especially as this hotel caters to business travellers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business