“Incompetent”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We recently stayed at Rydges Lakeside Canberra for a Wedding. The Bride and Groom had family travelling from across the country and made it easy for us all by having their reception somewhere we could all stay. Fantastic Idea, until we were stuffed around continuously.

1. Bridal party were meant to be booked on the one floors. This wasnt the case!
As we checked in separetly we were unawre of this until meeting for food down stairs. We then spent over an hour waiting while the receptionist shuffled us all around and had to move our things from room to room.

2. They (or their event company) set up the recptions wrong even though they had a table set up plan. this then took our time to rearrange when we were due to be at a dinner seservation that wasn't Rydges.

3. We were incorrectly charged for parking.

4. At the recpetion Dietary needs were not taken seriously with severe allergies such as anaphylaxis, celiacs disease and lactose intolerance. My partner was served a non gluten free and lactose meal which caused him to be VERY ill for 4 days after the receptions. Let alone serving peanuts to an anaphlactic!!!!!!!!!

5. Bridal party were served Hors d'œuvre in the bridal suite before heading down to the reception... the bride is Celiac and every Hors d'œuvre contained GLUTEN!

The list could go on!!!!

As an interstae guest to this wedding for my sister, My partner and I had to fly home all the while he was suffereing the effects of being served the wrong food.

ALL I CAN DO IS SHAKE MY HEAD.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LetitiaC_13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We went to Rydges to see the Toulous Lautrec exhibition with the hotel deal that included breakfast and a catalogue. Overall this experience was great value. We had an excellent room and the breakfast was first class. Service was a little cool but the overall experience was great

2  Thank sandyinmelbourne
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just back from 3 nights at hotel. Staff were friendly making the check in easy. Room had a good view, was comfortable and clean. Room service was prompt and served with a smile. Would recommend here for a reasonably priced city hotel.

Room Tip: away from lift
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
DonGoode, General Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

I noted you have posted a number of reviews from your travels and experiences . I can`t tell enough how much our industry apreciates this feedback from our customers , and I mean brick - bats as well. Forums like trip advisor , along with our own Rydges.com site are the most credible forms of measing our performance.We are vitally aware of the importance in ensurring we deliver concistant product quality , service standards and clean and safe facilities in line with our customers expectations.
I was pleased you enjoyed our recent refurbished facilities and your found our team members efficient and friendly.
I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Lakeside - Canberra soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very pleased with overall package, included breakfast, tickets and catalogue . Good location, lakeside for walking and restaurants. Has had a refurbishment since last we stayed. Slow to respond to requests, ie, rolloway for third person, and extra towel. Bar food was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JenniferHK878

Hi Jennifer ,
I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you felt your Toulouse Lautrec package was good value . However I did note your feedback regarding our responsivness(slow) in terms of timing to your requests for additional bedding.Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience you and your family were caused .I can assure you we will take this feedback to the team in a pro active environment with the objective of staying on top of our game . We all understand that concistancy in service delivery is what wins the day.

In case you haven`t heard yet, the next block buster exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia is "Turner from the Tait" commencing 01st June , 2013.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your feedback.

I look forward to welcominh you back soon..

Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel is like most of Canberra so quiet it feels you are the only person. Nice view of the lake and room satisfactory. Pillow is a little average. In terms of food, not much around, really need to walk into the town centre some 10-15 minute walk

Be careful, fee to use credit-card totaled 10% of the bill!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank aussiekiwi_boy
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Aussiekiwi_boy, thanks for your feedback I’m glad you found Canberra to be a nice peaceful place. I can assure you it was a different story here on Friday!

If we’ve overcharged you on the credit card surcharge (which should be 1.5%) please give me a call on 02 6267 1260 and I’ll fix it up.

Cheers,
Rien

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Nothing exceptional... room was fine. Bed comfy, tidy bathroom etc.. all the things you'd expect from a 4* hotel but nothing to mark it out as offering guests an enhanced experience. Limited information in the room about the hotel services and canberra attractions (only found out later that there is free wifi in the public area's as opposed to the $18 charged as advertised in the room). Easy walking distant main sites. Breakfast exhorbant at $29. Dislike hotels that dont actually practice their environmental statement regarding reusing towels. We hung our towels up three mornings and each time we came back they had been replaced with new ones. But what really tanished the stay was being charged 1.5% to pay. I said that it wasnt a credit card (the money came straight out of my account i.e debit- not on credit) but the reception was dismissive. Have never been charged anywhere else to use my card to pay for hotel rooms.

1  Thank DollydelaSparkle
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

I recently booked a flight with a leading airline and paid $7+ per person for using a credit card. I wondered if this was normal, why I hadn’t heard people complaining about it – if you book online you can hardly pay cash…

As with a lot of our fees and charges we often do a little research among our competitors to make sure we are not out of step with the norm and on this occasion the 1.5% surcharge is in line with the industry. Having said that, I’d love to see a situation where this impost is no longer required: we’re not in the business of annoying people.

It’s also annoying when hotels don’t stick to their own policies, and our environmental policies are especially important.

DollydelaSparkle, I’m glad you enjoyed things overall and am sorry for the few weak points – thanks for shedding light on some areas where we failed to sparkle. We have already worked on some communication strategies for the free WiFi, and hope this will be better for future guests.

All the best,
Rien

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We recently stayed overnight at the Rydges Lakeside while attending a conference. We found this hotel to be of good quality and very reasonably priced. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and we had a small balcony. We did not try the restaurant but the room service food was of a very high standard and is served all day. There is a cosy bar downstairs, nice for a drink and chat. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes walking distance of the National Convention Centre, shops and restaurants. The staff were very professional and efficient. We would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank m00dle255060

I was impressed to note you have reviewed 16 hotels on this forum.Your understanding of the needs of a frequent business traveller is valuable feed back for our industry .We proactively solicit our customers impressions through online forums such as this one ,along with direct contact and in room comment forms.We rely on this as the most credible form of measuring our performance , and staying on top of our service game.

Whilst it is important to provide comfortable , clean and safe facilities ,and the latest technology.Value for money and a "can do" service culture is also an important factor in where one chosed to stay when on a busy schedule.

I was pleased to note we met your expectations on each of these points .

Thank you for choosing to stay at Rydges Lakeside - Canberra.