“Overnight Package”

Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“Overnight Package”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have stayed here in earlier days when this hotel had another name and was very ordinary. What a pleasant change - we had a very comfortable stay at the QT to celebrate my birthday. We had a superb dinner (with a birthday candle when my dessert arrived) and a amazing breakfast as part of a package offered in conjunction with the National Museum to view the Great Bark Artists from Arnhem Land. Room and bed very classy clean and comfortable, clever hanging space, robes, with a light in the wardrobe and a good shower and nice toiletries - hairdryer hanging behind the door. The whole space has been well designed. Great to be able to make a good coffee in the room with a Nespresso - our request for fresh milk was attended to almost instantly. My only criticism would be that the bedside lighting is not adequate for those guests who want to read in bed or use a bedside light. I would not hesitate to stay at QT Canberra again and to recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at QT Canberra recently for a work conference and was absolutely blown away but the entire experience. Yes from the outside the hotel isn't flashy but once you enter through those doors you enter into a nice surprise. The hotel is politically themed with funky wallpaper and decals throughout the foyer, the restaurant looks superb with the open kitchen (you can actually see the chefs cooking your steak!) and the rooms well they are quirky without being confrontational.
Both check in & check out were a breeze and the staff were lovely, welcoming and very friendly (such a nice relief to see staff enjoying their jobs) all times I dealt with them. I was surprised when I entered the room to see the unique minibar items and to also see that some items that were in the room were up for sale! The best part about the room would definitely have to be the bed, oh was the bed amazing! they would have to be one of the best that I have ever slept in at a hotel.
On the second night of my stay my colleagues and I dined in the restaurant, the staff were welcoming and seated my group fast and efficiently. We shared an anti-pasto plate to start with and the food was fresh, fast and damn good. Mains were decently priced and were big servings (good to see that a restaurant is bringing back big portions!), and the desserts were both entertaining (I had profiteroles that you got to inject yourself) and delicious.
I will definitely be bringing my family here next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tdwater81
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ate at the restaurant, very nice food and interiors, also had a drink at "Speak Easy" bar, very cool. At last Canberra has a precinct being New Acton, for great food, a place to have a drink or even go to the movies.

Room Tip: Didn't stay at hotel only had dinner at restaurant. Restaurant didn't come up in the search.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sisterwriters
Milsons Point, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary so I thought I would surprise her with a weekend in Canberra.
After dining regularly at the QT in Sydney (which is my wife's favourite restaurant), the new QT seemed like and obvious choice.

The exterior of the building is nothing fancy, but when you walk in through the doors the QT feel has definitely been captured. The political theme is very fitting for its environment, and the key cards even have political quotes on them which is very clever!
The check in staff were fantastic! Very efficient and welcoming, they made dinner reservations for us both within the hotel on the first night and recommended numerous restaurants for us the following evening.

Being priority guest members, we were given an upgrade to a junior suite which my wife was very impressed with. There was also a complimentary bottle of champagne arranged with a hand written note congratulating us on our anniversary. This kind of service was above and beyond my expectations and helped me win brownie points with my wife.. Thanks QT!

The dinner in the restaurant fell nothing short of our expectations and lived up to Sydney's reputation. The steak was perfectly cooked and our waiter provided excellent service. After dinner my wife and I went for a drink in Lucky's, which on check in we were told was a brand new bar that had opened with the rename. The bar was beautiful and felt very sophisticated.

What a wonderful stay! I look forward to my next trip to Canberra and will be staying at QT again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have lovely views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malcom M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I wanted to like this property so much as it looked like a real cool place to stay in Canberra but I chase to say I was very disappointed. I had previously stayed at the QT in Sydney and liked it.

I arrived at 3:30 pm to be greeted by a guest clerk who clearly did not like to be disturbed. Alone in the check in I didn't even get a hello or a smile. I was simply asked "credit card and ID" no please and thank you.
My room, 301 was noisy and filthy!! The shower head had never been dusted and I found dust on the toilet paper holder and the latch of the door. There were coffee stains in the cups in my room and while the Nespresso machine was great, the milk frother had evidently been washed with a very strong soap as it smelled and tasted in my coffee! The cap had not received the same treatment since there was rotten mill solids on it! The same paper littered the entrance to my room during my entire stay!
Throughout my stay not once did an employee I crossed smile or say hello. I had quite a few dealings with he front freak during my stay and found them to be very disappointing. So much that I didn't see the point of talking to the manager. Overall very disappointed with the front desk service and housekeeping. Food and beverage people were great, the breakfast was very nice so was the barber!!

The parking lot was also very nice and clean, as well as quite cheap.

Luxury isn't about Nespresso machines and cool designs in the elevator; it's about service and attention to detail. This isn't a luxury hotel it may look like one but it's not.

I'm going back to Canberra and will be choosing another property to spend my money.

For what it's worth, the same girl checked me out and never asked if I had liked my stay.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Pdittay
Now In Nyc
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently had my birthday at Lucky's Speakeasy Bar and had a fantastic night
All of my guests and myself felt that the service at Lucky's was exceptional and the food was delicious and a good amount. We all had a lot of fun and it was very relaxed. The area designated for us was also very suitable. Our waitress was amazing.
Everything ran very smoothly and we would definitely return for future occasions.
We enjoyed being able to wander upstairs at the end of the night to our room and had friends come and meet us for breakfast the next morning at Capitol Bar and Grill, which was also a great selection of food and fabulous service.
We would definitely recommend Lucky's to other people and so would many of my guests.
I made all arrangements through Ericka who made the experience very relaxed and easy to organise and the staff on the night also continued this exceptional service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kath_loves_2_travel
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently had my first experience at the QT Canberra, and it won't be my last. The hotel has a humorous political theme to its decor, which gives a real sense of character to the place. More importantly, the rooms are neat and clean with all the expected facilities, and the bathroom had a very a nice shower. Wifi was free (as it always should be) and reliable. The breakfast buffet was excellent, including with eggs cooked to order. Finally, staff were all welcoming and friendly.

In short, the QT is worth a visit whenever you're next in Canberra.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business