“stylish hotel to bring out your inner mad men.”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne
“stylish hotel to bring out your inner mad men.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I had businees in canberra and was put up at the QT on london circuit in a Queen room for 5 days. I enquired about extending my stay for a night and was quoted 195/night inc breakfast which I thought was extremely good value in canberra. The excellent service and funky styling also sets this place apart from other similarly priced mid-range hotels. And it's not every hotel where one could run into Barrack Obama in the lobby ;)

Recently refurbished, the standard of my room was very high. On 7th floor, with a walk out balcony, i had a lovely view of london circuit. On arrival, in my room, there was a welcome gift of bottled water, fruit basket with strawberries, apples, bannanas and citrus and a free drink voucher at Lucky's bar. These were certainly appreciated but I'm unsure if this was a standard amenity or a promotion associated with recent rebranding of the hotel. Heres hoping it was the former.

The bed was very comfortable, with plenty of pillow options (soft to firm), so i slept very well. The mini bar at the QT was also certainly not boring. In addition to the usual drinks and nibbles, one could fix up an "old fashioned", purchase and "emergency" bow tie and spy kit toy set circa 1950. The in room wireless was fast, very usable and free of charge on my booking. There was a nespresso machine with four pods that were replaced daily.

The breakfast was also top notch in terms of variety and quality and included an egg station with omelettes and poached eggs made to order. Had dinner in Capitol Bar and grill and drinks at Lucky's one night and was very satisfied with both. Make sure to join up as priority guest rewards member for 20% discount off F&B in the hotel. My opinion is that the prices are somewhat high without this.

I also have to highlight the service at QT as a standout. Everyone from front desk, restaurant staff, bartenders and housekeeping were friendly, helpful and would greet you with a smile which goes a long way to making one feel like a welcomed guest at a hotel. It's amazing how many 4/5 star hotels in Australia fail miserably at this but QT certainly gets it.

There were a couple negatives however, minor but worth mentioning. The location of the hotel is not the most central. Although i guess nothing is really that far away in canberra and arguably the extra 10 min walk to convention centre or canberra centre would benefit most of us. Secondly, there's no gym or pool at QT canberra or at least that i could find. So if it's your usual routine to get a workout in your hotel, be prepared to be dissapointed.

In summary, I thoroughly enjoyed myself at QT canberra and rate this one of the best hotels i've stayed in recent memory.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Canberra, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi QZfrequentflyer,

Thanks so mush for a glowing and comprehensive review. Sounds like you really took in everything that the hotel had to offer and we really appreciate you taking the time to share it with us and the wider Tripadvisor community.

We will take this one to the team and run through it in detail. It's going to give them a great start to their day!

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Could not believe the quietness of staying in a room and being able to have a full view of the entire State! Every history of Australian Leadership is in the room! Photos of great leaders you can think off, are just after the reception and very impressive. The dinner and breakfast was a must taste. This is a hotel with innovations!

Room Tip: Rooms on the South East can give you a brilliant view of ACT
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hi ANDREW L,

Thanks for a spectacular review!

We would love to take care of you next time your are in the Capital.

Cooma, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

In the heart of the city, this hotel has a funky political edge. I don't think I have seen anywhere else that has Bob, Tony, Julia and others on the wallpaper!! The bar is brilliant, with an extensive selection of beers, wines and spirits. All staff we came into contact with we're friendly and helpful. The room also had a funky vibe- you have to check out the added extras in the minibar- spy kits, intimacy kit, pick up sticks and an emergency bow tie kit! Mattress and pillows were both good, and sleep was comfortable. Breakfast selections at the buffet were huge, catering to all tastes, with the food quality very good. I will definitely be making the QT my 'go to' hotel when in canberra

Room Tip: Go up a few floors, fourth and up, to get good views of the city and mountains
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex L
Hi Alex L,

Yay! We love becoming someones 'Go-to' hotel! Sounds like you loved your stay and really appreciate the little details that we believe go into making a hotel a truly designer experience.

We would love to see you next time you are in town. You sound right up our alley!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Although only just opened as a QT branded hotel, the former Rydges hotel is all understated glam, and one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in for a while. It might be a booze talking (from the free drink coupons I scored with my wotif booking), but the room is good, the restaurant is great (both food and service), and the speakeasy bar Lucky's is rocking.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank KeriBuenosAires
Hi KeriBuenosAires,

Wohooooo! Fabulous review from a Senior Contributor. We love that! we also love you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your time with us, which may have been spiked with a couple of drink vouchers in Lucky's :)

Can't wait to see you again!

Cronulla, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A Class all round! Rooms were fresh, hip and well equipped. All the little extras; slippers, robes and even umbrellas at our disposal if needed, perfect! The foyer was modern and attractive. We didnt have the chance to use the restaurant or dining, but it looked great from what we could see. I'll definitely be back if I need accom in Canberra - the location is the best!

Room Tip: We had an east facing room, rather high up and it was perfect for our needs. Great view of the city...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mandy A
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Canberra, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi Mandy A,

Fab review! Thanks so much for letting us know that you loved your stay. We really appreciate it.

Hoping that you stop in next time you pop down from the Shire :)

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have stayed here in earlier days when this hotel had another name and was very ordinary. What a pleasant change - we had a very comfortable stay at the QT to celebrate my birthday. We had a superb dinner (with a birthday candle when my dessert arrived) and a amazing breakfast as part of a package offered in conjunction with the National Museum to view the Great Bark Artists from Arnhem Land. Room and bed very classy clean and comfortable, clever hanging space, robes, with a light in the wardrobe and a good shower and nice toiletries - hairdryer hanging behind the door. The whole space has been well designed. Great to be able to make a good coffee in the room with a Nespresso - our request for fresh milk was attended to almost instantly. My only criticism would be that the bedside lighting is not adequate for those guests who want to read in bed or use a bedside light. I would not hesitate to stay at QT Canberra again and to recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at QT Canberra recently for a work conference and was absolutely blown away but the entire experience. Yes from the outside the hotel isn't flashy but once you enter through those doors you enter into a nice surprise. The hotel is politically themed with funky wallpaper and decals throughout the foyer, the restaurant looks superb with the open kitchen (you can actually see the chefs cooking your steak!) and the rooms well they are quirky without being confrontational.
Both check in & check out were a breeze and the staff were lovely, welcoming and very friendly (such a nice relief to see staff enjoying their jobs) all times I dealt with them. I was surprised when I entered the room to see the unique minibar items and to also see that some items that were in the room were up for sale! The best part about the room would definitely have to be the bed, oh was the bed amazing! they would have to be one of the best that I have ever slept in at a hotel.
On the second night of my stay my colleagues and I dined in the restaurant, the staff were welcoming and seated my group fast and efficiently. We shared an anti-pasto plate to start with and the food was fresh, fast and damn good. Mains were decently priced and were big servings (good to see that a restaurant is bringing back big portions!), and the desserts were both entertaining (I had profiteroles that you got to inject yourself) and delicious.
I will definitely be bringing my family here next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business