“Fantastic stay”

Mantra on Northbourne Canberra
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a great wotif deal. We had a room with twin beds and another three familys had 1bdr apts and both where roomy. If you are travelling as a couple suggest the apart for space. From the time we checked in our experience was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. From WA we struggled with 3hr time difference for the first few days and coming back from hockey we went to rest to get lunch, kitchen was closed but they still offered a toasted cheese sandwich.. . We also ate at restaurant and it was again was fantastic. Great Pizza place opposite and also at the back there is a burger place that also does breakfast Close to Canberra Centre (huge shopping area 10 min walk). If I had gone on previous reviews would not have stayed hear and had a great holiday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Tracbird,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the facilities were to your liking and that the Team here provided great service.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Mantra on Northbourne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Great 1 bed apartment, roomy and all the mod cons! Even had a washing machine and dryer! The best thing was a comfortable bed with pillow choices!!! It had a verandah and was close to all shops and shopping!

Room Tip: Get an apartment usually only an extra $20 to $50 bucks if booking through wotif
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve l

Dear steve i,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that the room and facilities were to your liking, and that the location of the hotel suited your needs.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at the Mantra recently on business - it was a Wotif Secret hotel at a very good rate. Wotif is pre-pay of course and when I checked in (and put up with the usual whinge about using Wotif instead of booking direct - why put it up as a Secret Hotel if you don't want people to purchase it?) I gave over my credit card for the usual nominal pre-authorisation; in this instance i was told it was $100 which is fine.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my credit card a day or two later to discover they had pre-authorised $1100; that's right One Thousand One Hundred Dollars.

This is not acceptable behaviour; it has now cleared but what if it had just gone ahead and kept the money?

This hotel needs to seriously review its staff training and financial procedures - I certainly won't be staying there again - but then I don't suppose they want me anyway as I booked through Wotif.

Oh by the way, room was warm, quiet and comfortable and staff was pleasant - so what a let down.

Room Tip: Try and stay away from the two ends of the hotel as they are on busy and noisy roads.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mountainview547

Dear Mountainview547,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mantra on Northbourne.

I am disappointed to hear that the standard credit card authorisation procedures were not followed upon your arrival. I have brought this to the attention of our Front Office Team to ensure this doesn't happen again.

It seems that the other aspects of your time with us were of a positive nature, so I sincerely apologise that this has tarnished your experience, but I completely understand your frustrations.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back under more pleasant circumstances in the future, and please find my details below if I can be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely,

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Everything about this hotel was brilliant ... The room size is great , and location one block from the main shopping centre so convenient . During our stay we decided to book a small event ...... A surprise birthday dinner in a months time . The conference staff could not have been more helpful . Must highly recommend this venue for special dinners ...... We will be a small group less than twelve people but we treated as though we were a big corporate !!!!!!!! And very reasonable cost . From the staff in the lobby to the cleaner in our room we have to say thank you for a wonderful stay . We will certainly return to this hotel ion the future .

Room Tip: The one bed rooms are huge .... Be surprised . And they come with a washing machine and dryer ... So...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pam F
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Pam F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience here at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service, the rooms exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your time with us, and furthermore that you have booked to come back again in May!
We look forward to welcoming you back next month and making sure you have a wonderful event.

Warm regards,
andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by size of the room, more a one bedroom apartment with comfy lounge chairs and plenty of room.. The bed was a little too firm for my liking but otherwise was comfy and the doona was warm. A bit disappointed that internet costs $25 extra a day on price already paid and also there was an extra $12 price to park our car underneath. A lot of the parking spots are reserved and finding one when the hotel is busy can be a problem especially if you have a large vehicle.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jacqui Y

Dear Jacqui Y,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I am pleased to hear that the size of rooms and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking. I appreciate your comments regarding the cost of internet and the parking restrictions.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

To look at this hotel from the outside it is not much. Service here is nothing to write home about but it is not the worst either. The room size is great though. It was more like a one bedroom apartment compared to the normal studio style. The disappointment for me was the bed. I booked a room with a king size bed and was given a queen. Also, hotels should be proving internet free now rather than an expensive extra. I don't think I'll return to the Mantra.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TheYAK,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that the rooms were not to your satisfaction; it seems as if we had upgraded you to a One Bedroom Apartment (which have Queen beds) but you had booked a Hotel Room (all with King Beds). I apologise that this was not explained or changed to what you had originally booked upon arrival.

We will be continuing to ensure our rooms are clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment in June 2014, and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The reservations staff and this hotel's cancellation policy are terrible. My wife hurt her back so we cancelled with a month's notice and were charged $200 to cancel a 4 night booking. No where in the process on Booking.com was there mention of a non-refundable deposit. Making it all worse, the lady on the phone was just plain rude. Strongly urge people to look at other hotel options. Have a look at the other adverse reviews on this hotel - I should have heeded their advice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom R
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Tom R,

Many thanks for your review, although your case is alarming to hear. We would greatly appreciate if you could contact myself on 02 6243 2500 or sally.phipps@mantra.com.au or andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au so we can discuss this with you personally. Your case does not sound like our normal standards as our regular cancellation poilicy is 24 hours. So if we are able to clarify some details with you, particulalry who you spoke with, that would be appreciated.

Kidnr egards