“Great Location”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 22 March 2011

This hotel is in a brilliant location, close to the Canberra sights and just a 5 minute drive to the trendy restaurants in Manuka and Kingston. It was our 2nd stay here and we will choose to stay at the Rydges Capital Hill again.
For a family the room rate represents good value, as the rooms are huge and can therefore accommodate 4 people very easily.
On this occasion we stayed in a Superior Queen room with our daughter and were amazed at the size of the room, even with 2 adults and 1 child and the sofa bed fully extended.
The design of the hotel is lovely, with lots of natural light flooding in through large windows and the central atrium. I agree that the hotel needs a some refitting and refurbishment to freshen it up, but the building itself is lovely.
Our room was spotlessly clean, the staff courteous and attentive.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and included something for everyone in the bain maries which were constantly being replenished.
The swimming and gym facilities are small but adequate.
My only complaint is with regard to the $12 parking fee which you are "forced" into because of insufficient available parking in the Hotel's driveway.
Despite this, we intend to stay at Rydges Capital Hill when we next visit Canberra.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear tric1003,

Firstly I just want to thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I agree that Rydges Capital Hill's location is brilliant given it's close proximity to the prestigious shopping district Manuka and various national attractions.
Our rooms are some of the largest in Canberra and I am glad to hear that you found the size to be sufficient.
I have also passed your feedback onto all staff in the hotel as recognition of their efforts and so we can continue to provide this level of service in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Firstly, please ignore all negative reviews about this hotel and location if any. From the moment you enter the revolving doors you would think your in paridise. the meet and greet front of house staff are well presented and welcoming. This hotel offered beautiful scenery, outstanding food and service and such lovely, friendly, warm-hearted people. They all worked so hard throughout my stay. The grounds and rooms are clean and beautifully kept . The food is excellent, especially in the restaurant. The staff are attentive and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed, the bathroom was fabulous absolutly fabulous spa and a walk in shower WOW!!!!! not to mention the extremely gigantic king size dream bed. I have been fortunate to stay in many great hotels in the world...but Rydges Capital Hill is by far right up there as 1 of my favs .I'd recommend this hotel for those who want impeccable service, outstanding restaurant, friendly, helpful staff, and bite the back of your hand beautiful surroundings. thanks to all the staff and management for such a wonderful and enjoyable stay. I will definatly be heading there again in the very near future. congratulations Rydges Capital Hill you have won me over :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justasleeper

Dear justasleeper,

Thank you for your great feedback and kind words.
I am so glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your entire stay right from the moment you walked into our lobby. At Rydges Capital Hill we certainly do pride ourselves on the lasting impression and feeling we give to all our guests who stay with us.
It is great to hear that we have 'won you over' and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 March 2011

The hotal is dated and lost in time. Food is average at best and the rooms look like they have not been refurbished in the last 35 years - they are huge but not comfortable.
On the up side the staff are very pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Julesr_7
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Dear Jules_7771,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the 'average food' you received during your stay. Our Executive Chef prides himself on serving high quality food and your comments come as quite a shock but please be assured that further training will be implemented to ensure that this standard improves.
On a positive note, thank you for your kind words regarding our pleasant staff.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

I travel to Canberra often and have never stayed at this hotel. It is in a good location to Parliament House.

I didn't venture out of my room much other than going to the office. I was unlucky and stayed on the ground floor above the garage door. You could hear the garage door opening and closing. I had asked to move and was told they were fully booked. Fair enough but I was there for 4 nights.

The rooms are tired, paint around door frames where the locks are was all scratched off. Very poor quality soap and shampoo.

There are other hotels in Canberra for the corporate traveller that are better value and nicer to stay in. I wouldnt recommend this hotel

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Dear Furree,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologise for your overall accommodation experience. However I am glad that you found the hotel to be in a great location.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

I booked a two night stay for the better half and I through wotif, paying $140 per night (Friday and Saturday). I must say, I am glad I didn't book direct and pay $180 per night!

We had a perfectly adequate stay as we were out and about all day. The rooms were spacious but very tired and shabby looking. The bed was comfy but the pillows were awful. Deflating on touch to a rather solid lump!

Customer service reps were hit or miss. A lovely lass on Saturday but a very blasé young lad Friday and Saturday night. Fantastic chap doing the serving in InBarGo.

We will stay here again but only if I can get it cheap on Wotif!

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear NiallAndAnna,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that you found our Rydges Dream Bed to be comfy but I am quite surprised by your experience with the pillows as we generally get great feedback about them with some guests even requesting to purchase them.
It is disappointing to hear that you found inconsistencies in our service standard. We pride ourselves on a high level of customer service and I have discussed your feedback with our team to ensure that this is improved.
Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

Spur of the moment road trip to Canberra for some sightseeing with the kids before school holidays finish.
Great friendly staff throughout the stay. Room (embassy suite) was a bit tired and needed a repaint but was clean and huge. Two sofa beds in the main room then king bed in a separate bedroom with a huge en suite. Plus a view of Parliament house from the balcony.
Linen, bedding and towels all clean and fresh.
Undercover secure parking for $12/day.
Kids used the indoor pool and spa, all good, but would have liked a later closing time (currently 8pm) after a big day of sightseeing.
Happy the hotel overall, especially since we got a great (discounted) rate, booked only the night before online - directly through the Rydges website.
We would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Dear butlerdidit2,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you would consider staying with us again. Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Rydges Capital Hill in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

On check-in the staff were not that interested in the process, initially allocating one room then on asking about parking they decided that we would be in another room with no explanation. There really isn't much alternative for parking and it seems a bit steep at $12.

The room we had was quite large and roomy and opened onto the inside of the hotel, generally quiet although some noise from the neighboring room, maybe through the interconnecting door. The bed was very comfortable, maybe a little soft but we slept well.

The furniture was past its best as was the bathroom in which the door frame was rusting.

There was decent iron compared to a lot of hotels.

Other items that could be improved,
- Hotels of this level should have digital TV not the analogue 4:3 format stretched to a widescreen TV
- Internet access - unable to purchase access online, after earlier experience with reception it was easier to use my phone. Have stayed at other hotels where this is easily done online.
- TV does not rotate to allow it to be watched easily from the bed
- if you arrive on a Sunday and want to go to a bar you will need to find one outside (some guests were complaining about it when we arrived)

We had breakfast included which provided a good range, if it is sunny it can get hot at some tables with the glass roof.

It is a 5-10 minute walk to the restaurants in Manuka,

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2011

Dear Dreamtime_2007,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of interest and communication you received from one of our Guest Service staff. Please be assured that I have passed your feedback onto our Front Office department to ensure that this improves through further training and development.
On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you found the room to be very spacious and quiet and found our Rydges Dream bed to be very comfortable.
The items for improvement you have listed have been discussed with our Rooms Division Manager to review and see if we can improve on them for future guests.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to an improved product