“Service? What service.....”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 28 March 2011

After booking the hotel on wotif.com knowing that the hotel was somewhere we wanted to return to after having spent a weekend there over 8 years ago, we discovered it was a mistake. On arrival, the very tense and abrupt receptionist bookied us into a double room after we booked a queen size room. We had to point out to her that our booking also included breakfast and asked her for directions to the restaurant. The room was large, spacious and cold. The airconditioner in the room, didn't have reverse cycle and there was a conveniently placed floor heater for us to plug in - if we got a little chilly.... IN CANBERRA!!! Housekeeping didn't come through our room and my husband had to chase down the housekeeper so HE could change our towels. On our last day, I had a minor accident where I hit my elbow in the room door as we were leaving. The incident caused my lebow to split and it tore my shirt. At reception there was no attempt by the staff to assist me, I had to ask for a bandaid (until I could get to a pharmacy to purchase some anticeptic ointment and proper bandaging. The staff kindly passed me a bandaid with a "there you go". No attempt was made to find out how I injured myself - I had to offer the information, there was no attempt to offer assistance or clean up my shirt which was stained with blood - a white shirt! The staff have definitely cemented my decision to never return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone. I was quite embarrassed that I gave it such rave reviews to my brother and his wife who stayed over the same weekend and were confused by my excitement. They requested an early check-in noting we had an engagement party to get to at 1pm. The room was conveniently ready at 1pm without apology for the delay noting they had priority guest rooms to clean before they got to my brothers and we were an hour late to the event - thank you very much Rydges. Not a recommended hotel, especially for the price you pay and the lack of customer service. We were made to feel as though we weren't entitled to any of our requests that were made on booking as we weren't a 'priority guest'. Below average hotel, with below average service.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aphrodite076
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 25 March 2011

I recall the hayday of Capital Hill when it was very chic and upmarket. Now sadly, it's heading over the hill fast. Stayed in a "Super King Size Executive Suite" and overall it was a disappointing experience: a drab brown colour greeted us; paint pealing on all items of furniture; ironing board broken; triangular topped bedside tables too small to hold the night time necessities; television frustratingly hardwired so you can't reduce the background screen noise on some channels or the orange faces on others; kingsize bed duna put on (incorrectly) lengthwise instead of across - resulting in it being too small for the bed; too few tables at breakfast - resulting in patrons waiting for tables to be free; slow (or insufficient) staff to cater for the breakfast service; breakfast dishes (eg, bacon and eggs) not replaced until my breakfast was finished. In this light, the room cost (well over $200 pn) plus $12 pn for car parking, and the Rydges Capital Hill does not represent value-for-money. I don't think I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Dear stevehyland,
Thank you for your feedback. It's feedback like yours that allow us to improve our business.
We do understand that in some areas our hotel is starting to show it's age and we are continuously working with the building owners to update our facilities were possible.
Your comments regarding your experience at Breakfast is very disappointing and be assured that I have discussed them with our Food & Beverage Manager and Executive chef in an effort to improve our product for future guest.
Thanks again for your feedback and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill.

Reviewed 22 March 2011

This hotel is in a brilliant location, close to the Canberra sights and just a 5 minute drive to the trendy restaurants in Manuka and Kingston. It was our 2nd stay here and we will choose to stay at the Rydges Capital Hill again.
For a family the room rate represents good value, as the rooms are huge and can therefore accommodate 4 people very easily.
On this occasion we stayed in a Superior Queen room with our daughter and were amazed at the size of the room, even with 2 adults and 1 child and the sofa bed fully extended.
The design of the hotel is lovely, with lots of natural light flooding in through large windows and the central atrium. I agree that the hotel needs a some refitting and refurbishment to freshen it up, but the building itself is lovely.
Our room was spotlessly clean, the staff courteous and attentive.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and included something for everyone in the bain maries which were constantly being replenished.
The swimming and gym facilities are small but adequate.
My only complaint is with regard to the $12 parking fee which you are "forced" into because of insufficient available parking in the Hotel's driveway.
Despite this, we intend to stay at Rydges Capital Hill when we next visit Canberra.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Dear tric1003,

Firstly I just want to thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I agree that Rydges Capital Hill's location is brilliant given it's close proximity to the prestigious shopping district Manuka and various national attractions.
Our rooms are some of the largest in Canberra and I am glad to hear that you found the size to be sufficient.
I have also passed your feedback onto all staff in the hotel as recognition of their efforts and so we can continue to provide this level of service in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Firstly, please ignore all negative reviews about this hotel and location if any. From the moment you enter the revolving doors you would think your in paridise. the meet and greet front of house staff are well presented and welcoming. This hotel offered beautiful scenery, outstanding food and service and such lovely, friendly, warm-hearted people. They all worked so hard throughout my stay. The grounds and rooms are clean and beautifully kept . The food is excellent, especially in the restaurant. The staff are attentive and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed, the bathroom was fabulous absolutly fabulous spa and a walk in shower WOW!!!!! not to mention the extremely gigantic king size dream bed. I have been fortunate to stay in many great hotels in the world...but Rydges Capital Hill is by far right up there as 1 of my favs .I'd recommend this hotel for those who want impeccable service, outstanding restaurant, friendly, helpful staff, and bite the back of your hand beautiful surroundings. thanks to all the staff and management for such a wonderful and enjoyable stay. I will definatly be heading there again in the very near future. congratulations Rydges Capital Hill you have won me over :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justasleeper

Dear justasleeper,

Thank you for your great feedback and kind words.
I am so glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your entire stay right from the moment you walked into our lobby. At Rydges Capital Hill we certainly do pride ourselves on the lasting impression and feeling we give to all our guests who stay with us.
It is great to hear that we have 'won you over' and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 March 2011

The hotal is dated and lost in time. Food is average at best and the rooms look like they have not been refurbished in the last 35 years - they are huge but not comfortable.
On the up side the staff are very pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Julesr_7
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Dear Jules_7771,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the 'average food' you received during your stay. Our Executive Chef prides himself on serving high quality food and your comments come as quite a shock but please be assured that further training will be implemented to ensure that this standard improves.
On a positive note, thank you for your kind words regarding our pleasant staff.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

I travel to Canberra often and have never stayed at this hotel. It is in a good location to Parliament House.

I didn't venture out of my room much other than going to the office. I was unlucky and stayed on the ground floor above the garage door. You could hear the garage door opening and closing. I had asked to move and was told they were fully booked. Fair enough but I was there for 4 nights.

The rooms are tired, paint around door frames where the locks are was all scratched off. Very poor quality soap and shampoo.

There are other hotels in Canberra for the corporate traveller that are better value and nicer to stay in. I wouldnt recommend this hotel

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Dear Furree,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologise for your overall accommodation experience. However I am glad that you found the hotel to be in a great location.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

I booked a two night stay for the better half and I through wotif, paying $140 per night (Friday and Saturday). I must say, I am glad I didn't book direct and pay $180 per night!

We had a perfectly adequate stay as we were out and about all day. The rooms were spacious but very tired and shabby looking. The bed was comfy but the pillows were awful. Deflating on touch to a rather solid lump!

Customer service reps were hit or miss. A lovely lass on Saturday but a very blasé young lad Friday and Saturday night. Fantastic chap doing the serving in InBarGo.

We will stay here again but only if I can get it cheap on Wotif!

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear NiallAndAnna,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that you found our Rydges Dream Bed to be comfy but I am quite surprised by your experience with the pillows as we generally get great feedback about them with some guests even requesting to purchase them.
It is disappointing to hear that you found inconsistencies in our service standard. We pride ourselves on a high level of customer service and I have discussed your feedback with our team to ensure that this is improved.
Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.