“Four Nights in Rydges Capital Hill Canberra”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #32 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“Four Nights in Rydges Capital Hill Canberra”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We had booked a room for two people, self and my wife for four nights. Check-in was wonderful but when we got to the room we found it only had one chair and no cupboards or drawers to keep our things in so we ended up living out of our suitcases, might have been in a hostel. There were two small wardrobes but only one had coat-hangers and they were the thief proof type that could not be moved. The receptionist was very good, she managed to find us a second chair and some ordinary coat-hangers. There was no safe in the room so we had to take our valuables with us when we went out.

Glad that we found some blankets, we hate those doonahs that lesser hotels use to save labour.

Every day when we arrived for breakfast all of the tables had been used and not cleared or cleaned, ourselves and other guests had to clear and clean a table. Supplies on the buffet were low at times, on the final day they had run out of eggs but we could not find a staff member to deal with it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and stay at a hotel with a higher rating. This is what we will be doing on our future...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Your experience is disappointing and not to the standard we expect of ourselves, please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service.

Please contact me if you are returning, I’m certain we can make the next stay more enjoyable.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was a 6-week Australian holiday and every Aussie we met said "Don't go to Canberra", the most non-happening place to visit :) Ha. Well, after hectic Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, the capital City was the quieter paradise of Australia.

Looked up the internet for reviews and rates for hotels in Canberra. The "Rydges Capital Hill" reviews were positive and my experience matched the expectations that I had.

Wonderful hotel in a quite location in quaint Canberra. Within walking distance from interesting sights and locations. Neat and clean hotel with a very good breakfast. The staff were friendly and the service excellent. Good internet facility.

Enrolled for the Priority Guest Rydges Program and get regular updates and special offers for their properties in Australia and other locations.

A recommended Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
I was really delighted to read your positive experience of Canberra and our Hotel.

There really is a lot to do within walking distance of the Hotel with surprisingly good restaurants and wonderful wineries less than 30 minutes from the city just to name a few.

Thanks so much, we were greatly encouraged by your comments.

Hopefully we’ll see you back here one day.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is in good location but should improve their service. We booked for a family room for 3 persons but we were only given 2 towels. We had to ask them twice for the room to be cleaned while we were going out for lunch and half day excursion. The food is ordinary but the internet access is fast and reliable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I was disappointed to read that we did not deliver good service to your family, typically we get these details right please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses on this occasion.

Please contact me if you are contemplating a return visit, we are capable of much better.

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We found this a nice stay. Not luxurious but nice. Comfy beds, pleasant room. Great breakfast. All in all a pleasant experience and we'd go back. Nice entry foyer. Was very quiet. Easy parking. Man on desk happily recommended a good restaurant nearby for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I was pleased to read you had a pleasant experience, thank you for the kind comments.

Hopefully we will see you back with us again soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Total put off when I realised that the amenities had already been used! That is completely unacceptable!

Then when I was dining in the local restaurant, the table was set with a water glass and wine glass that had food stuck on it!!! Seriously, why was this not picked up when table being set???

• Stayed August 2013
Please let us know if this happens at the time, it is quite unusual and easily rectified.

Feel free to contact me directly if you are returning to Canberra, clearly we are capable of better.

Gosford, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here for a weekend and took advantage of the Turners Art and Questacon Packages including breakfast and parking. On arrival the staff member at reception was lovely and welcoming. The room itself was adequate. Beds were comfortable.Kids enjoyed the indoor pool. Location was convenient to most places we were going, Packages were great value for money and would recommend them highly. The priority rewards club is great to join as well for added discounts and value.

However a few suggestions.

1. Not enough toiletries for the 4 of us who were staying in the room. Luckily we had brought extra from home. The bathroom while dated was adequate but could do with a exhaust fan and a larger bathmat to help with the water the shower heads were throwing out. Very slippery and dangerous with kids.

Also having to make tea and coffee in the bathroom was a bit gross. Apart from the desk and cabinet which had the tv on it there was no where else to set up the kettle.

2. The heating was disappointing. Old system that was on or off, hot or cold and no ability to control temperature. The lady at front desk said the whole system had problems and was only blowing hot air and that she could offer me a stand up fan only. Every half and hour we would get up and flick it from hot to cold to try and regulate.

3. The only bottle of water in the fridge was frozen solid. Another bottle was room temperature and these had to be changed at reception when the kids wanted a drink first thing on arrival.

4. Breakfast was a let down. We made sure we went early as per other reviews and still the food was cold. The first morning we were queueing for a normal household toaster that took forever. Second morning a more commercial toaster was available thank goodness. To be honest if I had paid $120 for that breakfast for the four of us on top of the hotel room I would have been very angry.

5. On return from our first day out, our room had not been made up. The lady arrived not long before 5pm which was when I wanted to get the kids ready for dinner that night. I kept them out of the room until she had finished. The room was just tidied and towels replaced. Not up to the standard it should have been like when we first walked in.

6. The restaurant was a big letdown. Hard to understand what the dishes actually were, not a lot of variety especially for the kids and very expensive even with the priority rewards discount we could have received. We gave this a big miss and headed out to Hogs breath instead.

7. The staff member who checked us out was rude. No eye contact, no smile and nothing in the way of pleasantries. I felt it was an effort for her to help me and would really advise her to find another job seeing she hates her current one so much. Apart from her, the other staff were lovely and its a shame she was my last impression of the hotel. The lady at check in and Patrick who I spoke to on the phone prior to arrival were fantastic.

I hope something can be done to rectify these issues. Whilst some are quite minor things they are also easily fixed and make the world of difference to a tired mum after a long day out with the kids.

We are coming back in October and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if these things were fixed.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room over looking the courtyard or grassed area. They at least have windows you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I was pleased to read that the receptionist on arrival was helpful and the packages you booked good value, unfortunately it appears we did not deliver as we should have from there.

Let me know when you are coming back to Canberra, I’m sure we can sort out the issues you had and make amends.

australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Great location. About 50% of the staff were great and the other 50% just crap. When asked for the location of nearby clubs for dinner, one receptionist was obviously new and didn't know the area. Not helpful at all.
The room we got was good but then it came to having a spa bath with the kids. To actually see long strands of hair half attached to the spa water intake part and the other half floating in the water. It was gross. Then my young daughter started pulling the strands out. Yuck. And my son was looking forward to turning the spa on but I refused not knowing what would b shot out into the bath. Just left a horrible feel to the stay.

• Stayed August 2013
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
I was disappointed to read of your experience and hope you will accept my sincere apologies – especially for the poor Housekeeping.

You may be assured that I have discussed these lapses with the staff concerned, we understand the need to do better.

I would appreciate an opportunity to make amends please email me directly if you reconsider staying in the future and I’ll make sure you get a great room.