“Better than expected.”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We just had a great stay at Rydges Capital Hill. After reading the reviews on here I was a bit worried, but we had a great time there.

Some of what has been written about the hotel is accurate, it's had a semi-makeover. The public areas are nice, the room that we had overall was very nice, but the details let it down a bit. The beds were VERY comfortable, the room was clean, the WiFi was free and effective, the air con was very effective and the carpet & paint were fresh & new.

A few things give away the makeover as being partial: very old electricals/power points/air con controls, daggy tiles on bathroom floor.

BUT with such comfortable beds, new desk and amenities, nice big TV, tasteful decor, friendly staff and a great pool, we thought overall it was very good value for money.

The pool was particularly good for us as it's indoors which meant the kids could be in the pool for hours without worry of sunburn. And, unlike most indoor pools, the room was not stuffy or humid - it was very comfortable - and had good WiFi (free). They also provide some pool toys and safety floats.

The hotel is a 7 or 8 minute walk (with kids) to Manuka shops, movies, supermarket, etc. If you ave kids, there's a tank on the way to the shops that they can check out. The parking is under the hotel, which is handy - no worry about the weather - and there were always parking spots available during our stay.

It's also very close to the mint, parliament house and its not far from the reptile farm/dinsoaur museum/cockington green etc.

We found the hotel comfortable, friendly, clean and good value for money. We'll certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: we had a room on the outside of the hotel, so the atrium lights and privacy weren't an issue.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay particularly mentioning tasteful decor and the indoor pool.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on friendly staff they try hard to please and the feedback is much appreciated.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Capital Hill Canberra

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in a twin room (2 double beds) with my 2 children, 16 and 13. The rooms have had a soft refurbish but the rest is so very tired. My main issues:
- toilet seat didn't fit the toilet, obviously replaced
- toilet took ages to refill
- hairdryer didn't work
- the awful sink outside the bathroom, which was dirty and stained with a cupboard screwed shut, took us a while to find the fridge (under the TV)
- never did work out the TV, couldn't get local channels even with 2 teenagers in charge of the remote
- ancient sliding door wardrobe right beside the bed
- could hear vacuuming from other rooms from 7am
- full length glass sliding doors that open into the atrium. Meant that we couldn't sit in the room withou closing the curtains. Yet the curtains allowed light in at night.

Luckily I got the room on a deal which included breakfast and parking other wise I would have felt really ripped off.

I've now stayed at both Canberra Rydges and one in Sydney. I've yet to be impressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the hotel so you have a window rather than a glass sliding door.
1  Thank Lee E

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Your experience was disappointing and not the standard we expect of ourselves; I hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the poor presentation of the room.

Please contact me if you are returning, I’m certain we can make the next stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Note: The published room rate for this hotel does does not does not include the $12 daily car park fee. There is very limited off-street parking available nearby, so you have no choice but to pay.

The hotel could have been more upfront on there fees.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim S
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

I was disappointed to read that you felt we were not up front on car parking charges.

We advertise the cost of car parking on our internet site and you would have driven past a very large sign advising that “Charges apply” and through a security gate with a similar sign.

We do have limited outside parking at the hotel available at no cost (Subject to availability).

I will be following up with our staff to make sure this is more clearly explained in future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The staff at the Rydges Capital Hill were very friendly, especially the check-in staff and the lady at the buffet breakfast service. That is where the compliments end. Even though I had read on previous reviews that the gym charged $10 per use, it was annoying to see that policy in place. It was also open at odd hours, the day we got there, only from 5-8pm. I think why not throw in complimentary gym usage, surely the hotel could roll it into the room price. The pool was quite good, although they had left the creepy crawly cleaner in the pool running. My kids got tangled in it a couple of times, which was a bit dangerous.they should clean the pool in the evening when the pool is closed. The rooms have had an upgrade, but that hasn't happened in the bathroom yet. Overall the room and the beds were adequate. The breakfast buffet was ok, but we got there at 9 when it shut at 10 and when I asked about pastries (as there was none left) they said they weren't able to bring any more out as it took at least 10 minutes to heat them up. In summary the staff are lovely, but if wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and avoid being close to the lift and walkway to ther rooms
1  Thank Dionne D

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

It appears that we fell short in a number of areas and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the maintenance and service lapses.

I note your concerns regarding Health Club charges. While access to the pool, spa and sauna are complimentary for Hotel guests, the Gym (unlike our competitors) is always staffed hence the decision to charge for use, we will certainly take your views into account in our ongoing review of this area.

Your comments regarding the staff are kind and appreciated; please be assured I will share with all concerned.

Please contact me if you are contemplating a return visit, we are capable of much better.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Chipped paint on the doors, doors that don't close without ramming shut. Stained carpets, broken bathroon fittings. Generally polite but generally poorly informed staff. A very dated hotel is desperate need of some attention.
As you come up the driveway music is pumping suggesting life within, however, much like the rest of the capital city it is deathly dull and deathly drab.
Breakfast fine but limited, room service so uninspiring I went to the local supermarket instead.
Sheets were clean and the services generally adequate but overall the hotel falls FAR below reasonable expectations for this chain.
Beware - there is a charge for the gym 'clearly advertised' on a tiny sign near the pool entrance (not at check in, gym sign in, in the literature in the rooms etc etc)
My stay here was below par and pretty frustrating as a result.
ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH THE $165 ++)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank guest1357924680
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Your experience was very disappointing.

It appears that we fell short in a number of areas and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the maintenance and service lapses. Paintwork is a challenge; we have a full time painter working in the building and understand the need to continually monitor the scapes & scuffs that appear on doors.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Having looked at a number of reviews I wasn't too impressed with the prospect of staying here, but it was better than expected. Very well located to Parliment House and Marnika where there is a selection of good resturants. Rooms are spacious, clean and functional without being anything special. Interent was free and very good.

Room Tip: Ask to stay a little further out on the wings to avoid corridor traffic noise as air crews arrive at...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant surprise; the Hotel is quite well set up with spacious rooms and free internet.

Your courtesy and interest are appreciated; I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is my third review of this hotel, my company has a contract here so I have no say over hotel choice in Canberra. Latest review is the "soft refresh" of the rooms has improved the look of the bedrooms considerably however the bathrooms remain untouched and very dated, probably the area that requires the most attention. The water pressure in the shower is still the best of many hotels I stay at. Rooms are quite large and are comfortable with great beds. Noticed free in room wifi is now available which is a major plus for an Australian hotel. Basically the hotel rooms have had some new furniture installed, new carpets (which are more suited to a larger area, very bad choice of design for a hotel room or confined area), some drapes have been replaced and some walls in the room have been repainted however they seem to have only done half of the paint job with many rooms having a mix of old and new painted walls. Noticed a definite improvement with staff attitude, especially front desk. The two ladies I dealt with couldn't have done more to ensure check in was seemless, were very helpful. Check out was the opposite. I have often noticed the "night manager", dont know his name but has reddish hair, on all occasions of checking out of the hotel has been quite disintersted in dealing with his guests. He barely looks up to engage with you, never seems to aknowlege you, just says "what room?", never offers a copy of the bill and just appears disheveled and quite disinterested. I understand he may have been up all night but his manner is not proffessional. I actually noticed some air crew checking out at the same time and they were more or less a problem for him while I was waiting. Not the friendliest front desk in early morning.

Room service is quite decent and quick, very friendly and helpful service from them. Love the addition of a chocolate on the tray.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel – again!

I was disturbed to read of the poor attitude of the Night Manager on departure, I hope you will accept my sincere apologies and assurance that he has been counselled on the need to do better.

On the other hand it was pleasing to see that the Reception staff were helpful, water pressure great and free wifi a plus.

Thanks again, I hope I manage to catch you on a future visit.