“Could do better! Staff were great but processes need reviewing.”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Check in, check out very efficient. Front desk staff excellent. The letdowns: breakfast on Sunday almost 'Fawlty Towers'-ish. Crockery and cutlery not available - patrons were drinking juice from coffee cups, not enough bread or hot food. Staff seemed to be doing their valiant best but there were just not enough of them. Was told that coffee from the cappuccino machine cost extra!

I had a hire car and was told it costs to park in the secure carpark and I thought this was odd, given the hotel's location probably meant most of the patrons would be driving to it. Ended up parking on the street behind. There were also a number of empty carparks nearby which looked to be un-used on the weekends and that would be an option for hotel patrons - just wondering why I wasn't given that choice.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

Dear Sapere_aude828,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you found the front desk staff to be excellent and efficient. We pride ourselves on our people and I have passed your kind words on to the team.

I am so sorry that the breakfast was understaffed on the morning you had breakfast with us.

We hope to see you again next time you visit Canberra

Kind regards
Karin Cook

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 2 March 2010

We spent 3 days at rydges capital hill from 26th Feb -1st march for our 5th wedding anniversary. After reading other reviews we were a little worried but found this to be a really nice hotel. Yes it is a little dated and could do with a lick of paint but it is still a really nice hotel
We booked into the king spa suit wow what a nice room we thought it was big. spa was huge bed was very comfortable friendly staff, free paper each morning great pool and spa great location and thought there cheese plater from room service was very well priced for what you got overall we had a great time only disappointing thing was the breakfast thought it was a overpriced so we only had one buffet breakfast but overall would highly recommend staying at the rydges capital hill

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2010

Dear Lukesdogs

Thanks for your review of our hotel. I'm so glad you had a great stay on your anniversary.

Reviewed 1 March 2010

Firstly. it surprises me that some of the management responses to reviews here seem to be 'surprised' by some of the negative feedback ? If you have ever stayed in this hotel, at least in recent months, then you would know that it is far from a 4 star rated hotel in terms of its appearance and cleanliness.

My partner and I spent three horror filled nights staying in this hotel. We booked a special deal so admittedly got a discounted rate however this should not mean that we should then get a 'discounted' venue! Every negative comment surrounding this hotel is correct eg 'tired', 'shabby' and in our experience... filthy! There was a stain on nearly every type of surface, bathroom grouting failing, mould and mildew abundant. It was simply awful. The pictures associated with this hotel on some websites are misleading, at best!

Service was 'okay' but not exceptional. I had one meal (room service) which was fine.

Its saving grace - location... thats it. Thankfully we received a full refund after complaints to Rydges management. Im disappointed as the experience has ensured I steer well clear of any Rydges hotel from now on!...

Spend some money and renovate/refurbish!.. its desperately needed.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stayz76
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2010

Dear Stayz76

I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience at our hotel, however, was happy to read that our staff offered a full refund as compensation.

I would be more than happy to speak with you about your stay with us so I can ensure appropriate action has been taken in the areas that need improvement. reservations_capitalhill@rydges.com

Many thanks

Reviewed 28 February 2010

I was expecting 4 star and was extremely dissapointed by what we encountered as we entered our room. However, I should start by saying that we could not get either of our room cards to work until we almost gave up, this happened everytime we tried to use them and needed to have them re programed twice as we couldn't gain access at all. The sight upon entering our room was like stepping back into the 70's and althouth I was not there to watch TV our's was so old I was shocked. I did not book a 4 star accomodation to be presented with a tired and very awful room it certainly did not meet any of my expectations. I was preparing to shower on the Sunday Morning and to my horror no hot water, I mean NO water, from the shower. I phoned housekeeping and the gentleman advised me to find the airconditioning control and move the tempertature setting to high and to my absolute surprise hot water flowed from the shower. We then ventured to breakfast and my friend accurately said welcome to faulty towers. Staff were so overworked you felt sorry for them. This does not exonerate the hotel for not supplying enough staff to give PAYING guest what they not only paid for but were expecting. (breakfast is a story in itself) I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and I feel if they don't renovate they should at the very least remove the 4 star rating which this hotel is NOT. I was there to celebrate my birthday, I was very dissapointed with my choice.

• Check-in / front desk
2  Thank SeabreezeLarry

Dear Seabreezelarry,

Thank for your taking the time to share your the details of your stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that we have purchased new TV's and they are being installed over the next month.

I would be interested to know which room you were staying in so we can have a plumber check that room. You can contact me via reservations_capitalhill@rydges.com.

I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations, I hope you had a happy birthday.

Reviewed 25 February 2010

This hotel needs a massive refurbishment!
I cannot understand how this hotel qualifies as a 4 star hotel -
We were extremely disappointed by the state of this hotel - it is falling apart and is in bad need of a FULL renovation!
Our room was changed three times - and even then we were given a room that was disgraceful!
Some of the issues:
1. bathroom tiles cracked and broken - we could view the pipework!
2. badly rattling air conditioner
3. bedside table radio/alarm - no knobs! all broken!
4. furniture falling apart
5. buffet breakfast - a disgrace!!
6. and more.......
The only good things were the dream beds and the location of the hotel.
If you want 4 star quality, don't stay here until a major renovation is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank macbeach
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Dear macbeach

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

I agree that our hotel is starting to show it's age and we are using every opportunity to work with the owners to upgrade whenever possible. The beds are new, as are the desks, chairs and several appliances in the rooms. You'll also be happy to hear that we are installing new TV's into all the rooms over the next few months.

Hopefully you'll get the chance to see the ongoing improvements as they happen.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

We have stayed here before a few times actually as the 1st time a few years back it was a great experience, then a year ago we went back and we could not believe how filthy the place was. Thinking they may have lifted their game by now we went back just this weekend gone and we are now wondering if they are going broke, it was truley unbelievable! Firstly they did not even use doona covers on the beds they used 2 sheets so the doona is fully exposed I think this is a health hazard. The bathroom tiles was full of black mold, I don't think they clean them, and what was even worse was the shower facility did not even work, there was no running cold water only a dribble, and they have the hot water turned up so much it is scolding so we could not even have a shower, it was dribbling water quite literally, We of course complained on leaving, my husband got quite upset about this, not being able to have a shower in a hotel is ridiculous when you are paying $260. a night, thank God we only booked for one night, we will most certainly never go back there again! They even tried to charge us for parking in their car park without telling us in the 1st place that it costs anything to park there!

3  Thank angelsSydney

Dear angelsSydney

I am so sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like the opportunity to discuss this in more details so I can investigate which room you stayed in and we can get any issues resolved.

Please contact me directly on reservations_capitalhill@rydges.com.

Many thanks

Reviewed 21 February 2010

This could be a lovely hotel but it needs seriously updating and customer service is not what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. They are seriously short staffed - getting hold of reception on the phone takes at least 2 minutes most times. The furniture in the rooms feels old and the bathrooms need completely updating. If you get a good deal on the hotel, it's half decent but personally I would pay extra for something better. It's a 3.5 star IMHO

caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Dear Audioblackout

Thank you for taking the time to post your review with Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations due to staffing issues and aging product.

I agree that our hotel is starting to show it's age and we are using every opportunity to work with the owners to upgrade whenever possible. The beds and televisions are new, as are the desks, chairs and several appliances in the rooms.

Your comments regarding delays experienced due to limited staffing levels at Reception are greatly appreciated and have been discussed with our Front Office Manager to ensure rostering is optimised during peak periods.

Hopefully you'll get the chance to see the ongoing improvements as they happen.