“Tired..”

Pavilion on Northbourne
Ranked #20 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Not the kind of 4.5 star hotel I was expecting.. looks tired and old. Room is clean. Was offered $50 upgrade to a suit but decline as only 1 night. Location is good. Parking is plenty at no cost. I would rate this hotel closer to 3.5 star.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 09A
There are newer reviews for Pavilion on Northbourne

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed at hotel for 2 nights on business, having stayed at a hotel 3*** in Brisbane the previous 4 days, I was looking forward to another awesome stay in Canberra. My room was just below the "function/Conference Room". There was loud banging noise from the function room above, complained and was promised the noise will clear within an hour! the noise continued....my colleague in the next room eventually requested to be moved. this continued for the duration of my stay. I was also awoken early morning by the Garbage Bin below the open space overlooking the hotel room. The Shuttle service was non-existent every time we requested for one, we were told to use Bus service or taxi to the City Center. Checking in- and checking out was a challenge. I had to pay +-$446 Dollars holding deposit and upon checkout pay 348.84 Dollars even though the bill was settled by the Travel Agent before our arrival at the hotel. the Hotel is not located in close proximity to the City Center in case you need change of scenery and dining out. the hotel is very dated and requires attention. The breakfast needs some improvement.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms below the Function room, too much noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Koki80
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a room at the rear of the property which was nice and quiet. The room was clean and comfortable however the bathroom was tiny. We requested separate beds as I was travelling with my daughter and the hotel accommodated this request for us. Breakfast was included in our deal but was disappointing. The cooked breakfast options were lukewarm at best and selections were quiet limited. As cold, soggy scrambled eggs aren't my thing I requested some poached eggs which were supplied without charge. After a day of sight seeing we decided to get room service for dinner one night and again this was disappointing. These things aside all of the staff were very helpful and cheerful throughout our stay. The free car parking was good as was the location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Waddo1972
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights over the weekend. It was such a reasonable price for the room that I cant complain too much about anything. Staff were helpful, not fazed by my distress call about a giant bogong moth loose in my room and while it is a little dated, but who didnt love the '90s? I will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The hotel is dated it clean. The service was OK but I think that due to the receptionist having English as a second language that I got charged for 3 breakfasts instead of 2.

The bathroom was very small. The room itself was clean with minimal amenities.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a hard hotel to write anything really good about this place. To its credit it is well located, not too far from the city etc, but then again if you have a car nothings too far in Canberra. On the flip side I was atending a three day conference at the hotel so for three days my time was spent put. I was accomodated in the main wing of the hotel. The room was in a corner and at the back of the hotel which was quiet. The room was old and and in need of a revamp, the bathroom small but manegable... I hate soap dispenses in the shower and guess what?

Power in the room was hard to get too, I had to rummage around under table etc to get a power point to hook in to... again nothing too hard but really a free power point on the desk would be great. While on the room, the TV was impossible to work with the remote, possibly batteries but again something house keeping should be onto.

The attrium is a mess, yes trees inside and all needing a really good clean. Food was really average and expensive . The staff try hard but when your dealling with an average product its hard to make strawberry jam out of dog do do! Breakfast was really average and served in the cafe down stairs.
Security parking... nup. Yep you park in a gate accessed lot but.... I returned to my car three days after arrival to find my car doors keyed... great! The front desk while appreciative of my problem did nothing and I have heard nothing from the hotel since. The hotel says they have a camera on the parkijg area but in reality the camera is pointed else where and that's what I told the police.

I guess my couple of very average days at the hotel may have clouded my judgement of the hotel..... no the place is average, really average and unless you are struggling to find a place to stay I suggest looking elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank L_D_HSydney
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Have stayed in this hotel several times when visiting canberra. Good value. Secure carpark included in cost. Also newspaper if you want one. There is a gym and an outdoor swimming pool (maybe one day that will be heated!. Staff are always helpful and welcoming.
Clean. Downstairs restuarant has trees indoors.
Probably the main donwnside is that is is not very central.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo