“Not honest staff/Hotel, try to avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra

Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra
Ranked #53 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne
“Not honest staff/Hotel, try to avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stop over at Canberra via booking.com website, however, it was my own mistake to choose a wrong date. Immediately after noticed that I was charged, I cancelled the booking and contacted the hotel reception and asked if I could get refund or move to the correct date. After a long wait and couple of call back to reception, I was given an email address and told to email them and wait for a solution from the superior. Couple of hours later, a reply advised that because the cancellation is just under 2 days (where the policy is 2 days+), the best option they could offer is to sell the room that I booked and then cancelled to others with a reduced price, then they will refund me. After being told this remedy plan, I was closely monitoring a few big hotel booking sites, including booking.com, wofit.com, etc. And I noticed that the room I cancelled immediately appears on booking.com (because it shows no vacancy of the type of room that I booked before I cancelled my booking). Then after a few hours, the room has been booked, and the status on booking.com shows no vacancy again for the same type of room. However, the ridiculous thing is that the hotel staff didn't admit that the room was sold again, and then refused to provide a refund and kept telling me to wait patiently and they would let me know once that night was over. The next morning, an email sent to me saying the room I booked wasn't sold, so no refund, rude!

Despite that there was no effort trying to retain a customer, I was totally shocked by the not being honest of the staff. I would definitely not stay at this hotel and recommend no one to book here, and there are lots of way better hotels in Canberra you could choose without suffering this.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Aggie L
ceahotel, General Manager at Capital Executive Apartment Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Aggie L,

Your review is a LIE as you did not stay at our hotel.

You rang to cancel inside our 48 hour cancellation time - you changed your mind and then said you were coming, so we did not cancel your room, then you rang again on the day of your arrival and said that you were not coming. We informed you that we would try to re-sell your room and if we are able re-sell your room we would be in contact with you, sadly to say your room did not re-sell.

Actually we have on file here at the hotel lots of RUDE emails from you.

Yours sincerely,
BAZ REO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bendigo, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Try for a room with a balcony on the sunnyside of the building overlooking the Park, you can't go wrong, the huge bed is realy comfy, and the shower is hot and energising, even if it is over the bath.Location of the Capital is fantastic, close to city, with bus stop at door to take you all over Canberra,..Great value for money with free parking, but the HAIG restaurant in house may be out of reach for those on a budget. Ideal for an extended stay or drive by for stand by rate.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the side street opposite park, NOT the otherside on top of construction site.
2 Thank Nicko38
Bendigo, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed approx. 12 months ago and was impressed then but Room 301 was more light, bright & spacious, bed very comfortable. Agreed, the Kit Kats were a great treat! The apartments are approx. 1 km from the city centre, perhaps 4.5 to Parliament House! Under cover parking is tight. Would certainly recommend the Capital Executive Apartments!

3 Thank Ruian
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Access room suitable for wheelchair dependant person (like me). Management & staff professional as lift broke down by guests while I was staying there. Fire department (to help me off level 1) was arranged to help me out & suitable alternate accommodation organised by hotel for the remainder of our stay. Hotel is a short walk to Canberra Centre. I could not hear construction work next door. I will stay there again & would recommend this to others.

2 Thank Nina P
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed a few nights in 103...
Good news...
Reception warm and welcoming!
Room big and comfy with great shower over bath, great cooking facilities and lots of lighting options.Great hairdryer and free kit kats yum! Excellent position to city.Large fridge and free movie channels.

Bad news...
Carpets seriously need vacuuming, air conditioner noisy (from mechanics) and unfortunately as I need to sleep with a window or door open (for fresh air) the room was incredibly noisy with traffic!I had little sleep which is a shame given all the other many positives...
Recommend if you needed a cheep place to stay for a night out... No good if you want rest.Oh and sauna looked seriously dodgy-avoid.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank SonyaG663

Travellers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Capital Apartments provided spacious, old-style apartments with plenty of room to spread out and good cooking facilities. Kit Kats were a nice touch in the fridge and Easter eggs at the front desk! It is conveniently located to access all the main attractions of Canberra, however, parking can be difficult at busy times. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: On-street parking is charged and monitored so check carefully if the off-street parking is full.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colin S
Knebworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am surprised at the number and the strength of the negative reviews here as this was not our experience of the place. It is not a palace true, and probably the "executive" in the title is a little misleading in terms of people's expectations but when we stayed for one night in March our room (#104) was clean, comfortable, quiet and well--equipped. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The location is excellent, with an easy walk to the downtown restaurants and the parking was ample. Yes there is a currently a building site on one side but we suffered no noise impact from it. We didn't eat here so I can offer no comment on the food. The room rate (AUD125) was very competitive and we overall were happy with our night's stay. My only minor gripe is that there was a AUD10 charge for Wifi. This was an offer we could refuse.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple