East Hotel
  • Room Service
Hyatt Hotel Canberra(Canberra)
US$204
  • Pool
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$109
Hotel Realm(Canberra)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$174
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$100
  • Pool
Avenue Hotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$151
  • Restaurant
Pavilion on Northbourne(Canberra)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$82
Agoda.com
US$121
Trip.com
1,994 results
All reviewsjoe's barluxe studiofree lollieslolly jarsx boxnespresso machinemanuka ovalkingston shopsone bedroom apartmentmodern hotelfantastic hotelcooking facilitiesin houserooms are spaciousspa bathfull kitchenhome away from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed one night in a studio room while in Canberra to visit the Gold & the Incas exhibition. The room was perfect for just one person. Arriving at the hotel just after 12 noon, my room was ready and I was able to check in. The room was as described with a small kitchen just inside the front door (I didn't use it), a luxurious king size bed, desk, small dining table and a comfortable lounge chair. The bathroom was perfect for one but I would think too small for 2 people, with a single basin and not a lot of bench space. I had a pre dinner drink at the bar downstairs which was very quiet and lacking atmosphere (perhaps the hotel was quiet because parliament wasn't sitting?). I also had breakfast the following morning and this was the only disappointing aspect of my stay. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but it didn't live up to the standard the hotel had set itself in other areas. The buffet wasn't well stocked, with an empty milk jug and platter, a couple of slices of cheese and ham and a very small and sad selection of pastries. There was bread to toast, a small selection of cereal and some yoghurt. The only fruit was a fruit salad in a little glass preserving jar. Eggs any way could be ordered at the bar. Of my two poached eggs, one was deliciously runny and the other a solid lump. As I said, breakfast was fine, but could be better. I would definitely stay at the hotel again, but I'd walk to Kingston or Manuka for breakfast next time (both less than 10 minutes' walk away) with Griffith just a few minutes more. Wireless internet in my room was free for the first 100mb per 24 hours and adequate for me. There were also 3 Macs in the foyer for guest use. The gym was clean, had a couple of TVs, clean towels, shower facilities, a treadmill, rower, a couple of bikes and a few weights. Next time, I'd make use of the free bikes to go for a ride around the lake. The extra touch of lolly jars in the foyer was great! I had a very comfortable stay and would choose to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CaterinaDue
Todd H, General Manager at East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear CaterinaDue,

Hello! And thank you for taking the time to provide the extensive feedback regarding your recent experience at EAST!

I am delighted to hear that overall your experience was great but am also disappointed to hear things weren't quite up-to-par for the breakfast experience during your stay. It sounds like you may have visited right after a very busy rush (although that doesn't explain the inconsistent eggs), but I'm not into making excuses. I would like to offer you breakfast complimentary on your next stay though.

Thank you again for staying at EAST. I look forward to hearing from you with regards to your next visit. The breakfast will be stocked and the eggs perched!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great location, some nice restaurants in easy walking distance but easy parking if you prefer to drive, my room was fantastic, spacious and very clean. The hotel was quiet and staff were fantastic. Great value!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kayt83

Hello Kayt83,

Thank you for staying at EAST and taking time to write about your experience.

It's always impressive to see those who travel so frequently and take the time to write about their experiences.

Thank you again, it was an honour for us to have served you during your visit to Canberra!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The rooms and facilities at East Hotel were great and I had no problems with the hotel. However, the service was poor quality from arrival to departure and no one employed at the hotel seemed to care. My room was ready when I arrived which I expected but I didn't expect to be told to "go away and come back later". At check out I asked reception to book taxi for a specific pick up time. They clearly forgot but didn't have the integrity to admit they forgot and blamed it in the taxi company. As I said the rooms were great but plenty if hotels have great rooms and facilities, it is the service that differentiates the good from the great. I wouldn't stay here again by choice but I wouldn't refuse to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank fsplk

Hello fsplk,

Thank you for staying at EAST and taking the time to share your experience.

I must say, reading about your experience caught us by surprise. It seems quite uncharacteristic of my team or anything guests normally experience here but we take all comments very seriously. We have since spent time with our whole team and had some intense conversations and training to ensure no guest ever experiences again something as you have written about.

We do look forward to having the opportunity to provide a proper EAST Experience for you. Please do let us know the next time you travel to Canberra as we'd love to have you with us.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed four nights to catch up with friends and check out some exhibitions at the National Library, National Gallery and National Museum... all only 5 to 10 minutes drive away. Parking on-site for $10 a day, come and go as you please... not much on-street parking in this area, though.

Rooms are sleek and minimalist, grey and white with splashes of colour. Bathroom very well appointed, nice large bench for all your toiletries. Our room (312) overlooked busy Canberra Ave., but double glazing cut out all the noise. Manuka Oval is next door, and the Manuka shops with a full-size supermarket, pharmacy, news agency etc plus plenty of cafes and restaurants are only a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger with full kitchen and a balcony, ideal for a longer stay. Can also interconnect with a second normal-size room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank david1949

Hello david 1949,

Thank you for taking the time to quickly write about your 4 day tour of Canberra. Sounds like you were very busy during your stay and we are delighted to have been your central base during this time!

I do hope you return to catch up with your friends again soon! The Canberra wineries are celebrating the Harvest Festival this weekend, there is a Latin American film festival commencing this week at the National Gallery but it's on for a short time only, plus the Canberra marathon is on the third weekend in April. How else can I tempt you to return in the short term?

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The East Hotel is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. The decor and feel of the hotel and rooms in ultra modern and hip. The rooms were pretty much perfect, the kitchenette is a great edition for longer stays but there could have been more channels for the tv. I loved that there were bikes that you could borrow to ride around the city in, the lollies and lemon and mint water in the lobby, how your instagram photo could be featured in the elevator and the iMacs if you needed a computer for anything. Little details like these that just made the stay so much more pleasurable. I would definitely recommend checking out the Ox Eatery for Dinner and breakfast, both meals were perfect. I do agree with other reviewers about reception however, no warm friendly greeting upon arrival or departure- quite clinical customer service. This was the only fault.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magnolia2211

Hello blackvarnish,

We love it when our guests love the little details!

Thank you so much for taking the opportunity to stay with us at EAST for your visit to Canberra and for sharing your experiences here on TripAdvisor!

We have worked with the team on warming up some of their personalities and giving them the confidence to do their tasks so they could let their personalities shine through. Thank you for your valuable feedback in this area too!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!