“Delightfully practical basic accommodation !!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canberra
Civic Pub Backpackers
Sydney, Australia
“Delightfully practical basic accommodation !!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Civic Pub Backpackers accomodation is situated within easy walking distance of the city of Canberra, and the hub of the nightlife. It is clean and has all facilities necessary, however there are no blankets which could pose issues to some. For young backpackers, it is an extremely practical and equipped place to be lodged!! I would stay again in a heartbeat !

• Stayed April 2014

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Cheap, clean and everything you need. Comfy beds with sheets and towels, good showers, lockers in rooms, ample power points. Located above a really cool pub and 2 minute walk to the centre of the city.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I was stay 2 night.
the linens and towel were clean,
and output of shower was confortable temperture.
near to the mall.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my boyfriend at $35 dollars each per night. Civic pub is a 5 minute walk to the shopping centre, restaurants bars and cinema. The rooms are basic with bunk beds, toilet and shower block was nice and clean, and had powerful showers. Clean sheets and towels were provided.

There was a small kitchen area with a microwave, sink and fridge. Make sure you bring your own plates/bowls/cutlery as this isn't provided.

There wasn't any free wifi-would be handy to have.

This accommodation was satisfactory for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Toriward
Amsterdam
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This place is a bit run down. It is certainly nothing for people that want something very clean and new. But it is very cheap and it seems possible to get rooms with few beds (e.g. 2-bed "dorms"). There is free wifi.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I had to vacate my room at midnight and sleep the rest of the night in my car. I was bitten from head to toe and although I have pictures to prove it, I will do everyone a favor and not post them. At first I thought I was being bitten by Mozzies but when I got up and turned on the light, I could see the Bed Bugs crawling around my sheets...Yuuuuckk!
I approached the manager on his arrival the next morning and requested a full refund. After showing him my bites, he had little choice and returned my money.
The room I had did not have flyscreens and the noise from the street was loud.
Just give it a miss.

Room Tip: A good room is not possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark190562
PeterTOm2013, Owner at Civic Pub Backpackers, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your review.

We are extremely sorry for your bad experience. Since your experience we have worked really hard to rectify the issue. 9 months ago we replaced all our foam mattress, replaced all pillows, had the all the rooms treated and steam cleaned.

We are now working hard to improve on our standard of accomodation with new additions such as lockers and power-points for every dorm bed. Soon to come free Laundry and Wireless connection.

If your in town again please come past and see us dinner is on me.

Regards Pete

Travellers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Reviewed 22 March 2013

A group of my work colleagues go to Civic Pub during the busy lunch hour on a Friday every now and then, usually in a group of 10. You order at the bar and sit down to wait for your food. Usually the wait time is around 45 minutes to an hour, which is acceptable because it's very busy and the food is hot and comes in large serving sizes, and there aren't many other options in Braddon.

Today there were 4 girls on the floor and 2 guys in the kitchen, and over 100 people in the pub. After the usual hour, 3 people at my table were served food. 20 minutes later, 2 more people were served. After an hour and a half, 2 other people were told the pies had run out and they had to choose something else. Why not tell us that an hour ago when it looked like there might not be enough pies to fill orders? My meal never came at all. Did the chef drown after walking down to the lake to catch my fish? A grilled fish should have taken the shortest time. After an hour and 40 minutes I got up and politely asked for a refund at the bar, walked a block away and ordered a takeaway pizza elsewhere. 10 minutes later I had food. My lunch break took up 3 hours today.

I could see that our table was not the only one with complaints. Civic Pub, this is not news - you are always busy at lunchtime on a Friday. Either remove a few tables from your floor or hire more staff. In the meantime our office will be seriously considering whether the convenience of your location is worth the wait time for your food.

Room Tip: The pub is really busy and noisy
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends