“Good option when visiting for business”

Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My colleague and I recently stayed here for work. Don't be fooled by the aging exterior or the rattly old lifts. The rooms are comfortable, modern and well-appointed. There's not much close to the hotel itself but it does have a good restaurant and well-stocked breakfast buffet (with a hot breakfast option). I recommend booking the breakfast buffet online at the time of booking because you will receive a small discount.

I would certainly stay here again if I went to Canberra for business. It's well priced (for Canberra) and good quality. The only down side is that there aren't really any cafes, shops or restaurants nearby. The closest shop I found was a little suburban group of shops (including a small restaurant and cafe) 1.2km away. But, as I mentioned, the restaurant and breakfast buffet are good so you don't really need a shop.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew G
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Andrew G,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with other travellers here on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to see that you found our hotel to be great value and we hope you will visit us again next time.

Warm regards

Reviewed 10 December 2013

good motel it looks older than it is all up to date with mod cons, friendly staff, tidy room, good bed, very comfortable bed, towels were a bit harsh they could hve been softer, when we got there they gave us real milk not uht milk, overall fantastic place to stay would stay there again in the future

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Daniel,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to post your review here on Tripadvisor and we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our guests love the fact that we provide fresh milk - quite rare in hotels these days!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed 3 nights while visiting family. Not too far from CBD, very clean, large room with couch, small table, 2 chairs etc. Nice Queen bed and pillows (I have back issues so a good bed is very important to me). Very quiet (not near any big roads), bathroom had all the lotions etc you would want, bath robes supplied, towels etc pretty soft and comfy. Didn't try food so cannot comment. Staff were nice and friendly. Huge TV with Foxtel (picture quality wasn't very good though for some reason?). Plenty of parking (some Canberra hotels charge or have limited spaces). Fast free Wifi & plugged network too! Many Aus hotels still charge a premium price for that, it should always be included free like most motels do in Europe. Panasonic Aircon was VERY quiet (of course) and that is a big plus for a light sleeper like I am. I have a Panasonic at home and it is pretty quiet too! Good curtains kept the morning light out very well which I appreciated. No complaints about this place from me (apart from the TV which I hardly watched anyway).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Max K

Thank you, Max K, for reviewing your stay with us. We are glad you had a great time with us and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Canberra.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed three nights in early November, 2013 and were very satisfied with the room and the hotel's location. The hotel is located about 4km south of the CBD.

Our room was spacious, clean, well-appointed, and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and directed us toward good dining and sightseeing options. The only problem we had was we had to ask for facecloths every evening...go figure.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Roger,

We are chuffed that you had a fabulous stay with us here at BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden City Hotel in Canberra. There are lots of great dining and cultural hotspots within five minutes drive and it is good to know that our staff pointed you in the right direction to make the most of your visit. Please accept my apologies regarding the facecloths in your room; we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Happy travels!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Booked to attend a conference in Canberra, the price at the conference hotel was ridiculous, so stayed here for nearly a third of the cost. Taxi to conference did not add much to the cost. Good quality hotel with all the things you would expect but given I was there for business, I was hardly there. Only criticism is some of the breakfast items were lukewarm, but again a hot breakfast for less than $20? Excellent.
Less than 10 minutes to the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and feel that you received outstanding value for money. We do our best to provide good quality rooms and facilities at reasonable prices.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked this through last minute.com where it was a secret deal advertised as a four and a half star hotel in Canberra. We had only the star rating to go on. When we arrived, we were given the keys to our "suite", It had a small bedroom, reasonably well appointed and an OK bathroom. The living room was very sparse with a two seater sofa, very small laminex table and two vinyl dining chairs. there WAS a very big TV. I had wanted somewhere I could spend a leisurely morning in comfort. This room had comforts and was quite soul-less. There was a crack in the wall and holes around where the airconditioning unit had been fitted into the wall. If I had booked a three star venue, it would have been OK. 4.5 stars? Who do they think they are kidding? We found somewhere else to stay. Apparently, it was such a long bus ride into town that I should catch a taxi (quote from the receotionist). Pool was not available. I will be taking this up with the rating agency.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Traveltoads3
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Hi there Traveltoads3,

Thanks for providing feedback regarding your visit. We are rated 4.5 stars by AAA (the official accreditation body). We, as are all official star-rated hotels, are thoroughly inspected on a regular basis to ensure that we continue to meet the ratings standards.

We have a bus stop just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel with regular bus services through the major tourist attractions and into the city.

I do hope that you take the opportunity to stay with us again in the future so that we may restore your faith in our hotel and provide you with a more positive experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

First, the positives. Good location, it's close to Canberra attractions such as Parliament House.

Another positive is free parking. You can park right outside your room, as the hotel is constructed like an old 70's motor inn.

They advertise the hotel as being in a "quiet suburban area". That's stretching the truth, as the hotel sits alongside a bustling 4 lane highway. Check it out for yourself on Google Streetview, you'll see a picture of a Mack Truck rumbling past the hotel. My wife is a light sleeper; the relentless traffic noise kept waking her up throughout the night.

Non-smokers, such as ourselves, shall notice a faint odour of cigarette smoke circulating through the air conditioning. This caused our daughter, who is sensitive to allergens, to suffer from runny eyes and respiratory wheezing during our stay.

We had a nasty surprise after our trip. Many months afterwards I discovered to my dismay, that the hotel had slyly charged an additional $6.50 to my credit card after our departure, entirely without my knowledge. They never provided me with a tax invoice (ie, receipt) for this mysterious charge - not even by mail - which is a breach of Australian taxation law.

I provided the hotel with a written explanation of the above, but they chose to stonewall. They never bothered replying, and declined to refund their mysterious charge.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SydneyLocalResident
ArionHotels, Sales & Marketing Manager at Best Western Plus Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi there SydneyLocalResident,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on Tripadvisor. As we've discussed in correspondence on another website, your concerns regarding a $6.50 charge are being addressed by the hotel owner who has chosen to handle this matter herself. I sincerely hope this is resolved soon.

I do feel that your comments regarding the hotel's location are misrepresentative, however. Jerrabomberra Ave is a four lane road that was bypassed by the Monaro Highway extension in 1988. For the last 25 years, the highway has been 1.5km away and Jerrabomberra Ave (now a suburban street), has been virtually empty of traffic outside of Canberra's notoriously brief peak hour.

Finally, I am sorry to read that you and your travelling companions experienced a faint odour of cigarettes. We do not have central ducted air conditioning (each room is individually air conditioned) and all of our rooms are non-smoking, so this is certainly not a typical experience for our guests.

It is our priority to provide a comfortable, relaxing and great value experience for our guests and it is very disappointing to read that you felt let down by your visit with us.

Safe travels,