“Some photos of this great little restaurant + it's famous laksa”

Dickson Asian Noodle House
Ranked #105 of 1,368 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Some photos of this great little restaurant + it's famous laksa”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We still agree with our five star review of Dickson Asian Noodle House last year. However we've just noticed there are not any review photos for this restaurant, so we took some for Trip Advisor when we visited last week.

As we wrote last time: Go. Eat. Enjoy. :)

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Best laksa I've ever tasted.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Discovered the Noodle House years ago - along with most North Canberrans! Clientele is a mixture from all walks of life. It's not fancy, but service is excellent, laksa even better. Huge servings so unless you have a big appetite, stick to main course - although they do give you option of ordering half serve. Can't comment on anything other than laksa as that's all we ever order. It's our favourite feed in Canberra - either eat-in or takeaway - you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2014
Gladesville, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,790 helpful votes
“The famous Canberra laksa mentioned in the New York Times”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I read about this little restaurant in The New York Times of all places, the newspaper did a feature on the city of Canberra & mentioned the Dickson Asian Noodle House as a little restaurant famous for their laksa. To people who eat laksa, it is some serious business & can cause hours of debate, fist fighting or even political incidents. We found their laksa good, more salty than I am used to but with a good creamy coconut-based soup, perfect on a cold Canberra night.

Stepping inside & looking around, I noticed that most people were indeed hunched over a bowel of this famous laksa so it was a no-brainer as to what we ordered. The laksa came with two types of noodle, the usual thin white vermicelli noodle & the yellow flat egg noodle which I never see anywhere else. This was ok, it didn’t make much difference to me. There were the usual tofu pieces, boiled vegetables & fresh chicken pieces. To add a bit of fire to the flavour I asked staff for fresh chilli & the owner himself came out from behind the counter to personally vouch for the deadly potency of this home grown chilli’s, he dared me to finish the sample & we traded war stories on how tough we were when it came to chilli, needless to say my eyes melted like marsh-mellows while I looked at him & chewed.

Like any noodle house, I was glad the laksa came out within 5 mins of ordering. People shouldn’t be alarmed at this, the soup is stored in a simmering pot, only the noodles & vegies need to be put in boiling water & it’s only a matter of a minute or two. All these MasterChef cooking shows have given people a false impression of cooking, no they don’t cook the laksa up from scratch each time, crazy people..

$13 for a bowl of noodles is getting up there, it is not expensive compared to a Main at other restaurants, in fact it is relatively cheap but for a bowl of noodles it is expensive, this is considered street food in Asia, food for common working people after all. As with most south-east Asian restaurants the Dickson Asian Noodle House is strictly casual dining without any posh. I find it strange that tea is served in a plastic tumbler. I prefer tea like in any other normal Asian restaurant from a hot pot & small cup……that’s how Bruce Lee would drink it.

The Dickson Asian Noodle House is owned by a long time local resident who fled his home country of Laos during the turmoil of the Vietnam War. We were fortunate enough to be able to speak to the owner who was generous with his time & hospitality. He gave us a background to his time in Canberra & shared stories about some of the more famous guests who have dined at his humble restaurant which made for a great time.

• Visited June 2014
“Best Laksa”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This restaurant has been a regular eatery of mine for almost 20 years now and it still produces in my opinion the best Laksa in Canberra. Other dishes are also worth a try but the Laksa is what keeps bringing me back. Service is quick and friendly with the only possible drawback being that the tables are quite close together so they can manage to feed all the people who wish to eat there.

• Visited May 2014
“Delicious”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place does the best noodles and luxer in Canberra. The service is always friendly and I look forward to going there each week.

Visited May 2014