“Poor excuse for a restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mustafa - CLOSED

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Canberra, Australia
“Poor excuse for a restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

My boyfriend and I got to the restaurant at 7.30. The only highlight of the night was that we were greeted immediately and seated quickly. After that we decided on our meals and then my boyfriend went up and ordered our drinks and food and returned shortly after.

Our entree's arrived at about 7.45, which was fairly prompt but it was all downhill after that. Once we finished it took them half an hour to clear our table and then another half hour to serve us our lemon sorbet which is supposedly meant to cleanse our palate. So all up we waited an hour since our entree to get a scoop of lemon sorbet each which was garnished with one strawberry and one mint leaf. The sorbet was half melted, which was unpleasant and too sour for my liking. I only managed to have two teaspoons full. My boyfriend being the hungry one finished about 3/4's of it.

So now its 8.45 and we're still waiting for our mains. As we were waiting for our food we noticed we weren't the only people dissatisfied with the service and food. I saw at least 6 people carry their plates to the kitchen to complain and another 4 people approach the waiters asking where their food was or what was wrong with it. The people sitting next to us were shocked we hadn't had our mains yet when they had and they had arrived AFTER us. They also told us that one of them had got more food then the other and the kitchen tried to make up for it by giving them extra prawns with their meal. I then hear the waitress approach a couple sitting a few table away asking if they had ordered the salmon and steak (which was our order for our mains) to which the coupled replied, "No, we haven't even had our entrees." So instead of checking the other two tables which hadn't got food yet, she rushed backed to the kitchen and put it under the heat lamps. The only reason I hadn't approached the waitress at this point was because if it wasn't our order and there was another couple already waiting as well.

Finally at 9.00, I see one of the waitresses coming over to our table, apologizing for the wait and puts down a plate of dessert, to which we replied, "uhhh we haven't even had our mains yet." She looked shocked and embarrassed and just said, "oh" and quickly whisked the plate back to the kitchen. Needless to say at how furious we were because not only had we been waiting long for our mains but the fact that when they finally did bring something, it was the wrong thing!

So we sat for a further 10 minutes till I couldn't sit still any longer and walked up to the kitchen. As soon as I walked up all 3 chefs had looks on their faces like "Oh, not another one, just go sit down." Despite their looks, I still stood their and waited to speak to someone. While I waited they were quickly finishing 2 dishes and all 3 chefs were telling and insisting on the waitress to take the meals to table 33 (our table) so she quickly grabbed the meals and headed to our table. The chef's then looked at me like "your foods ready now, you can go." But I didn't, I was still furious.

Finally one of the waiters came up and asked me how he could help. I simply asked him, "What's going on? Why are all the orders getting mixed up? I just don't understand." He replied, " It's the first time we've had a special menu (Valentine's Day Menu) and the waitresses weren't prepared for it." Which i thought was no excuse because its not any different from any other busy night they would have, nor is the menu an excuse because even if we ordered from their normal menu, we still would've have had 3 courses, which is no different to the 'special menu.' There's simply NO excuses. He could see I was pissed off, and instead of apologizing he said, "Oh but we got you drinks though, right?" Trying to state that he had got us complimentary drinks to make up for their mistake. I told him we hadn't, and he said he would get them now if I wanted, I then said, "What I want is to eat my food on time" and then stormed back to my table.

The food was probably bearable to eat due to the fact that we were starving since our entree. My boyfriend's steak was less than average, definitely worth the wait. My salmon had been sitting there for so long that it had cooked itself so it was dry. My fried chips were JUST warm and my salad was warm and sloppy. Because i was so hungry I managed to eat 3/4's of my salmon, a handful of chips and didn't even bother to touch the salad.

After we finished our mains I wanted to leave but my boyfriend insisted we stayed because he had paid for a 3 course meal and would like to at least try the dessert. So I stuck it out and waited a further 15 minutes for dessert. Forgot to mention that we were sitting in their backroom which felt like a heater. God knows why they didn't have the air-con on when I saw one on the wall and vents on the ceiling. We were sweating in our seats.

Our dessert arrived and the girl apologized, but we were both too mad to say anything nice back so we said nothing. She quickly left after putting the food down. The dessert was probably the best tasting thing we had that night, but the service and less than average food earlier had put us off. After having half the dessert, we quickly left.

Sorry for the long review but thought you should know what you're getting yourself into if you decide to go to this place which is a poor excuse for a restaurant. First and last time we will be going there and highly recommend you to STAY AWAY from this place unless you want a truly disappointing experience!

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Flora L

Canberra, Australia
“Good food bit pricey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

The atmospher is really good, the meals came in good time, were a good size and really yummy!! Everyones steak was cooked perfectley and the best creamy potato's. I think it may be a little pricey but will go back for the delish food!

• Visited December 2012
Sydney
“Too highly recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were told this was one of the places to eat in Dickson. Its not a reataurant as one has to order at the counter a bit like a bistro. The food was more like pub food and was nothing to rave about. The bar waiter got all confused and apologised because our red wine was not chilled. Table service excellent.

Visited September 2012
“Suspect food hygiene”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Went there with 5 others on a Thursday night. $7 buys a beer from the tap. Stood in line for 10 minutes to order. Meals took an hour to come out despite the restaurant only being half full. $25 buys two very overcooked 'fish finger' size pieces of alleged snapper in tempura complemented by très ordinaire tartare and just OK chips and salad. 6 hours later sees me throwing up. With high prices and low quality, I can only surmise that this place stays afloat on a raft of high incomes and low expectations... oh, and E. coli.

Helensburgh, Australia
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

A little bit disappointed by this restaurant. You have to line up to order and pay for food and drinks no table service which would be fine if the prices reflected this. Food was nice but really not worth the prices paid. Perfect for large groups but not small family or couples dinner.

• Visited September 2012