“Mixed feelings about this one. Quick but pricey” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Canberra, Australia
“Mixed feelings about this one. Quick but pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Called on the day for a booking of four and they were really wonderful in accommodating us. Arrived at 6pm for our early dinner and were seated and had the process or ordering explained to us by a very friendly guy. They don't take your order at the table you go and place your order at a counter. Served by a not so friendly or helpful guy and only after he finished having a general chit chat with the kitchen crew. He did let me pay by two separate means which was good. Then off to separate bar to order drinks. We got four soft drinks for nearly $18.

Dinner was $118 for four people. Three chicken dishes and a steak dish. Chicken seems to have been boiled???? then thrown on the grill and sauce lacked any real flavour. My daughter who likes bland food was happy. Serving sizes were good

Would I go back? Yes, has a good choice to cover all eaters. Steak, seafood, chicken, pasta and kids meals.

1 Thank Dragonfly1968

Bendigo, Australia
“Dont Come Here If You Want a Quick Feed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

If you like a friendly social family atmosphere when you dine with honest non fancy food at a fair price come here but book first because its almost always full at the popular times. Yes its noisy, because its busy, yes you will queue to order, because its busy, yes you will have to socialise with your dining companions while you wait for your feed, because its busy. Would happily go back for another feed, cant comment on alcohol prices as none of us drink.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter2651
Canberra, Australia
“Poor excuse for a restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

My boyfriend and I got to the restaurant at 7.30. The only highlight of the night was that we were greeted immediately and seated quickly. After that we decided on our meals and then my boyfriend went up and ordered our drinks and food and returned shortly after.

Our entree's arrived at about 7.45, which was fairly prompt but it was all downhill after that. Once we finished it took them half an hour to clear our table and then another half hour to serve us our lemon sorbet which is supposedly meant to cleanse our palate. So all up we waited an hour since our entree to get a scoop of lemon sorbet each which was garnished with one strawberry and one mint leaf. The sorbet was half melted, which was unpleasant and too sour for my liking. I only managed to have two teaspoons full. My boyfriend being the hungry one finished about 3/4's of it.

So now its 8.45 and we're still waiting for our mains. As we were waiting for our food we noticed we weren't the only people dissatisfied with the service and food. I saw at least 6 people carry their plates to the kitchen to complain and another 4 people approach the waiters asking where their food was or what was wrong with it. The people sitting next to us were shocked we hadn't had our mains yet when they had and they had arrived AFTER us. They also told us that one of them had got more food then the other and the kitchen tried to make up for it by giving them extra prawns with their meal. I then hear the waitress approach a couple sitting a few table away asking if they had ordered the salmon and steak (which was our order for our mains) to which the coupled replied, "No, we haven't even had our entrees." So instead of checking the other two tables which hadn't got food yet, she rushed backed to the kitchen and put it under the heat lamps. The only reason I hadn't approached the waitress at this point was because if it wasn't our order and there was another couple already waiting as well.

Finally at 9.00, I see one of the waitresses coming over to our table, apologizing for the wait and puts down a plate of dessert, to which we replied, "uhhh we haven't even had our mains yet." She looked shocked and embarrassed and just said, "oh" and quickly whisked the plate back to the kitchen. Needless to say at how furious we were because not only had we been waiting long for our mains but the fact that when they finally did bring something, it was the wrong thing!

So we sat for a further 10 minutes till I couldn't sit still any longer and walked up to the kitchen. As soon as I walked up all 3 chefs had looks on their faces like "Oh, not another one, just go sit down." Despite their looks, I still stood their and waited to speak to someone. While I waited they were quickly finishing 2 dishes and all 3 chefs were telling and insisting on the waitress to take the meals to table 33 (our table) so she quickly grabbed the meals and headed to our table. The chef's then looked at me like "your foods ready now, you can go." But I didn't, I was still furious.

Finally one of the waiters came up and asked me how he could help. I simply asked him, "What's going on? Why are all the orders getting mixed up? I just don't understand." He replied, " It's the first time we've had a special menu (Valentine's Day Menu) and the waitresses weren't prepared for it." Which i thought was no excuse because its not any different from any other busy night they would have, nor is the menu an excuse because even if we ordered from their normal menu, we still would've have had 3 courses, which is no different to the 'special menu.' There's simply NO excuses. He could see I was pissed off, and instead of apologizing he said, "Oh but we got you drinks though, right?" Trying to state that he had got us complimentary drinks to make up for their mistake. I told him we hadn't, and he said he would get them now if I wanted, I then said, "What I want is to eat my food on time" and then stormed back to my table.

The food was probably bearable to eat due to the fact that we were starving since our entree. My boyfriend's steak was less than average, definitely worth the wait. My salmon had been sitting there for so long that it had cooked itself so it was dry. My fried chips were JUST warm and my salad was warm and sloppy. Because i was so hungry I managed to eat 3/4's of my salmon, a handful of chips and didn't even bother to touch the salad.

After we finished our mains I wanted to leave but my boyfriend insisted we stayed because he had paid for a 3 course meal and would like to at least try the dessert. So I stuck it out and waited a further 15 minutes for dessert. Forgot to mention that we were sitting in their backroom which felt like a heater. God knows why they didn't have the air-con on when I saw one on the wall and vents on the ceiling. We were sweating in our seats.

Our dessert arrived and the girl apologized, but we were both too mad to say anything nice back so we said nothing. She quickly left after putting the food down. The dessert was probably the best tasting thing we had that night, but the service and less than average food earlier had put us off. After having half the dessert, we quickly left.

Sorry for the long review but thought you should know what you're getting yourself into if you decide to go to this place which is a poor excuse for a restaurant. First and last time we will be going there and highly recommend you to STAY AWAY from this place unless you want a truly disappointing experience!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Flora L
“Good food bit pricey.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

The atmospher is really good, the meals came in good time, were a good size and really yummy!! Everyones steak was cooked perfectley and the best creamy potato's. I think it may be a little pricey but will go back for the delish food!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney
“Too highly recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were told this was one of the places to eat in Dickson. Its not a reataurant as one has to order at the counter a bit like a bistro. The food was more like pub food and was nothing to rave about. The bar waiter got all confused and apologised because our red wine was not chilled. Table service excellent.

Visited September 2012