“My Birthday Dinner”
Review of Ottoman Cuisine

Ottoman Cuisine
Ranked #5 of 1,362 Restaurants in Canberra
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Chef & owner Serif Kaya has been wooing diners at Ottoman Cuisine with his much awarded Turkish food since 1992. Modern day Turkish food is a result of the vast Ottoman Empire, spanning over three continents, with access to many markets & cultures. The menu at the Ottoman Cuisine consists of classic Turkish dishes that have withstood the test of time. There are also the dishes that Serif has created; inspired by his culinary heritage & his new home. The specials of the day bring you the best of the seasonal produce. In the Ottoman tradition, we recommend sharing your dishes in order for you to experience the fantastic range of flavours on offer. Please ask your waiter if you would like to try a tasting menu.
Sydney, Australia
“My Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were a group of 10 booked in for the banquet on Saturday night. We had a great night, wonderful service and very tasty food.
A couple of points worth mentioning are -
1. The amount of food served to each diner is a bit light on - one piece of each course is not enough for grown men to eat and be satisfied with ($65 per person).
2. The private dining room was beautiful and we could chat and be loud without annoying the whole restaurant, just the other 2 tables in the private dining room????
3. When a group are celebrating a birthday and bring a birthday cake for the celebration, then it's customary for the cake to be brought to the table with candles etc, Happy Birthday sung, etc. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED that the cake provided by my partner was cut up and served to us AS the dessert!! It was only that I recognised it, we would have thought it was the Lindt Chocolate Slice we were expecting and didn't receive. We got an alternative selection of small pieces of dessert (beautiful but not what was expected). I think someone in our group must have mentioned something as another piece of OUR cake was brought from the kitchen with a candle on it! Why wasn't the entire cake served to our table in the first case.

The whole night was great and we all enjoyed everything. However, I was told that this was the best place in Canberra - some things are not too great.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Joe M

Canberra, Australia
“Nice”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

It was our wedding anniversary dinner, we got dressed up for a big night out and headed out to the restuarant. The building is beautiful with nice landscaped gardens and water features around it. Pleasant and pretty surroundings. Parking was hassle-free, just off the road outside the restaurant. A short queue at the coat check. My husband was however, not asked if he wanted his coat checked in. First disappointment for the night. He did not request for it, not one to make a fuss. He had to carry it to the table and even then the waiter did not offer. In addition, even though we had mentioned it was our wedding anniversary at time of booking, it was not mentioned by any one who served us that night, let alone our Head waiter which was disapppointing to me. A simple verbal acknowledgement would have been nice. We were however, offered a corner table (I had requested for it at time of booking) and I appreciated the privacy. Unfortunately, it was too dark and not a very romantic area. A few candles would have created some magic and given a feeling of romance and exclusivity.

The drinks menu was short and uninspriring. Only one cocktail caught my eye, everything else was run of the mill. I ordered the pomergranate with lime cocktail. It was zingy and sour, though I could not drink it without making a face each time (because of its sourness), I enjoyed it. My husband ordered a glass of champagne.

The waitress read us the specials and we ordered our mains. I settled on a slow cooked lamb shoulder and my husband chose the roast spatchcock with yoghurt dressing. None of the entrees from the chef's 4 specials was vegetarian or had white meat, which my husband was disappointed with. We ordered our entree of eggplant and bay leaves off the menu but were pleasantly suprised with it. It was divine and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The drinks came late with profuse apologies. We were in a good mood so did not mind it.
Then we were given the wrong salad ...and since there were only 2 salads in the whole menu, I couldn't imaginethink how that order could have gone wrong. Once we informed the waitress of this, the correct salad was served immediately without much fuss.
Our mains were good portion sizes, I did not manage to finish mine. I loved the lamb shoulder which came with mayonnaise chilli dressing and mint dressing and a side serving of green beans cooked in mint and pine nuts. Great combinations.
My husabnd loved the spatchcock which was juicy and lightly spiced just to his liking. The yoghurt dressing married well with the spatchcock.
The salad however, was entirely made up of lettuce leaves and not much else. The pomegranate and pine nuts were so few we could count the number easily off the plate.
I enjoyed the salad as the beans were crunchy and had a nice zingy, minty flavour. Shame about the ingredients portions. I would loved this salad to have had much more of its ingredients, not just a whole heap of lettuce leaves.
The late servings is forgiveable I suppose as it was a busy Saturday night. But it would have been polite for one of the waiters to have informed us of an approximate wait time.
Overall, enjoyed the food but Ottoman needs to work better at many other aspects to live up to its reputation as a premier dining establishment in Canberra.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Mala D
Burnie, Australia
“Lovely ambience and delightful food”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Went with work colleagues. Had a lovely meal,mishearing fish, chicken, lamb, dips. All beautifully presented delicious . Baklava was also exquisite. Not a cheap night out ($60 each, which included only one wine each) but nice. The building itself has huge windows overlooking gardens. Old world charm.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tassylass
Canberra, Australia
“Perfect for a group”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Delicious food and as a group we were taken care of very well! Would recommend for a group function!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Food4thoughtt
“Dissapointing, lackluster & overpriced”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Turkish food should burst with flavour but this has been so pared down for the fine dining Western palate. Restaurant also lacked atmosphere and looked more like a hotel restaurant. The most memorable taste from the evening was the (free) Turkish delight and the front desk...delicious Turkish delight....I filled my pockets!

Visited November 2013