“granny 2014”
Review of Hotel Realm

Hotel Realm
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Wonderful everything as far as accomm. food. service, porters valet parking etc. Can highly recommend it. Just one important thing for me though that did not work. My most important reason for going to this Hotel was the heated indoor swimming pool for both my daughter and I and most of all my 2 yrs old and 8 yr old grandchildren. The ad said Indoor Heated Pool in all my extensive hotel stays when it states this I have found and expect the pool to be warm the pool was one degree above cold no heating at all in the room so very unpleasant. The pool closed at 5 which for me is unheard of as most people have things to do in the day and return for a swim and dinner in my opinion. The ad also said if I remember correctly spa/hot tub/Jacuzzi. Only a spa which was the opp to the pool a little too hot a had strong chlorine fumes that burnt the eyes I tried to put the children there too hot but after a little time in the cold pool they adjusted to the heat in the spa after a bit as they were frozen.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank granny238
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lovely hotel with all things required for a business stay. Staff are really helpful - with everything and a booking mix up was rectified with a minimum of fuss. Good location. Quiet. Comfortable. Modern facilities. Would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 4chillis
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked this hotel as a mystery Wotif as I needed somewhere to overnight on the way home to Sydney. First impressions- the foyer seemed somewhat cavernous and very hard edged which is not very cosy on a cold Canberra evening. It was like staying in an office building and this feeling was compounded by the location which seems to be sort of Canberra CBD and thus it would be handy place to stay if you had business nearby. The room was comfortable and spacious though it did feel a little cell like with the minimalist decor which consisted of a bed, desk, tv and one designer chair (probably a cheap copy). The bathroom was spacious and well designed. The bed was ok not the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Breakfast was in a smallish room which felt like the lunch room of an office and the staff were not very efficient at clearing tables. The bufffet was pretty average and quite expensive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatienceSydney
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the long weekend and was impressed by the reception staff on arrival and the atmosphere of the hotel. I had booked a 1 bedroom suite that was offered in a winter warmer package that included breakfast and 2 drinks in the bar and we were provided with the drinks vouchers on arrival . The suite was great, spacious and clean,the bed was comfortable and the shower and toiletries provided were lovely. The buffet breakfast provided wide choices and we were both impressed by the hard working and courteous staff in the restaurant.
On the last evening we decided to use our vouchers after dinner. We went into the bar where 6 other customers were sitting in 1 group of 4 and another of 2. No one greeted us or provided us with a drinks menu or invited us to sit. The table where we sat had empty glasses from the previous occupants and no one cleared the table while we were there. We found a menu, chose our drinks and were then told at the bar that we couldn't use the vouchers for the drinks we wanted as no cocktails were included. This was surprising as the price of the cocktails were less than some spirits and wines. There were no advertised limitations on the drinks offered in the package and no conditions printed on the vouchers. This was the only hiccup in an otherwise great experience. And by the way, the 4 bar staff who were having a great time talking to one another may have done better by talking to the customers and clearing the tables!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank birdandpuss2011
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The rooms were clean and quite modern and the staff were friendly. I thought the magazines in the room and the Apple entertainment hub was a nice touch although the pay movies were probably a bit pricey at $10, but I suppose this is generally the case in most hotels. If you do want to have a night in I would suggest bring your own DVDs to watch for free on the Apple unit, otherwise there is a cinema nearby at Manuka. I thought the hotel was really well located, we had our car and found it to be an easy and short drive to the National Gallery, High Court, Portrait Gallery and Parliament House. It also isn't too far from the CBD, however we didn't spend much time there as there was many nice places to eat in Kingston and Manuka. My only criticism would be (and it really wasn't an issue-just mildly annoying) in the hotel's bid to be modern they have a superfluous amount of light switches and lights and it could be difficult to work out which switch controlled what. I know it sounds silly-but you would understand if you stayed there. But overall it was a fantastic stay and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Anita_G1989
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked a King room through wotif at the Realm for one night. We arrived and were greeted by staff who seemed friendly and happy. Upon checking in, I was told that we had been upgraded to a suite - what a lovely surprise! Our room was clean, very comfortable and spacious. There is a separate lounge/tv room, well equipped kitchen area with coffee machine, a beautiful bathroom with bath, shower (good water pressure), toilet, vanity and complimentary L'Occitane products. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and the room very dark so we had a good sleep. Parking was complimentary on the weekend which was also a nice surprise! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Realm and it will be my number one choice of hotel when in Canberra.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank busymother_7
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Realm for our wedding anniversary last month. We were welcomed on arrival and in our room there was a small plate of very tasty chocolates.
The room was on the first floor and very quiet. There was a wedding at the hotel on the first night and we heard nothing (apparently the ballroom can cater for 500).
I wish we had booked a different room - ours had no balcony, kitchen or bath...but it did have a window that opened (but only a view of the next building)
A highlight was the buffet breakfast - good range of standard Aussie breakfast staples, but better than usual quality and freshness.
Car parking in the basement was $15 per week night, but free on the weekend.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book a room with balcony, view, kitchen and bath.