“Home away from home. Great service!”

Best Western Zebra Motel
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
“Home away from home. Great service!”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have been coming here for almost 7 years, due to work travels, and the friendly service and smiles just keep on coming. Food is always great, but it is the service that makes me keep on coming back! Great location. :-)

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank PlainJanee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I used to stay at this place every time I went to Coffs Harbour. However the last time I was there it fallen way off what it was. The stay did not start well when after checking in I parked my car and trailer in the carpark and went off to have a couple of beers. When I returned the owner came over and proceeded to tell me that I had to move the car and trailer outside as parking was scarce. I told him politely that I was not going anywhere near the car as I'd had three beers and that I could not understand the problem as the car and trailer were taking up two car parks, and that we had booked two rooms. When I explained this to the guy he said that he would move the car and trailer for me, but that it had to go because car parks were scarce!! I again told him that we had two rooms, but the logic of my position completely escaped this guy and he insisted I move the car and trailer. By now he was getting very animated. So I told him again, that I would not move the car, and that he would not be going anywhere near it either. I then walked away to avoid the argument.

The place is looking tired as if upkeep is not being performed and while the restaurant food was good, the wine list was a joke with the only full bottles available being organic wine locally made. If you wanted a decent wine you had to pay (through the nose) for mini bottles.

Room Tip: Go next door or across the road.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Murray A
Sydney
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This Best Western is on the main road, which makes it handy when travelling between Sydney and Brisbane. Our room was near the entry and located downstairs but because of this we heard a lot of the foot traffic and cars as they went to Reception and exited the motel car park, including in the early hours of the morning. The restaurant was closed because of the holidays and the room we stayed in was not recently refurbished. We paid $30 more in another resort on the other leg of the trip for a quiet, more updated room, with a private beach and breakfast buffet included. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank owlcollector
Forster, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I have noticed that they have been renovating the rooms for 3 years so far. Seems like they need to quicken the pace. Our room had hard beds, lumpy pillows, and and asthmatic air conditioner which we had to leave on to drown out the noise from the other guests and the trucks going past. No allocated parking for rooms. Restaurant was closed in peak season so it was a walk to the RSL. Did not find the staff either friendly nor helpful. Should have been a sign when this was the only place in town with rooms to spare.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank CaztheTraveller
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Judging by other reviews, a lot of rooms have been renovated or updated. I don't think I was lucky enough to be in one of those rooms. Nevertheless, my room was still nice and clean and had everything I needed: flat screen TV with all free to air digital and selected Austar/Foxtel channels, access to wireless Internet, coffee making facilities, fridge with mini bar, clean bed and a very nice and comfortable office chair.
There was a bit of a struggle to find a parking spot, but I guess that's what happens during school holidays when the place is filled to its capacity.
Restaurant had great food. I would recommend this restaurant to people that are brave enough to try some VERY spicy food.
Staff was very polite, friendly and accommodating and nothing was too much trouble for them.
There was only one little thing that a cleaner may have accidentally overlooked. One of my bathroom towels had evidence of previous gest cleaning his/her ears. I didn't make any complaints but I'm sure that if I did, staff would have been more than happy to replace the towel for me.
Overall, a typical 3 - 3.5 star Motel. Nothing extraordinary, but nice, clean friendly and functional. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MrD79
Northants, England
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had a nice family room, which had been refurbished. The bathroom was really good and various toiletries were provided in dispensers. The overall impression of the room was good.
There was a fridge and kettle, but no microwave or toaster.
There was a good heater and a flat screen TV.
The breakfast was good, self service.
The proprietor and receptionist were exceptionally friendly which helped with the favourable impression.
The rooms are being refurbished on a rolling programme. I don't know how many have still to be done.
There were one or two downsides: there was an intercommunicating door (locked) to the next room and we could hear the person next door talking more than we would have liked. There was no sink to wash cups and washing up in the lovely washbasin didn't seem like a good idea. Parking was a bit of a problem. We had to park in the overspill parking out the back rather than outside our room.
Overall though we would definitely
stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank agentgibbs
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2011

After a long drive from Victoria, arrived here late, still managed to receive Excellent Happy Smiley staff to greet us & settle into our room, with beautiful dinner & well deserved drink from the onsite "Zulu's" Restaurant & Bar. Kids also enjoyed their evening swim in the pool.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KazNGeeB
ZebraMotel, Owner at Best Western Zebra Motel, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
Thank you for your review. Your comments will passsed to all our staff. We would love to see you again at our property.