“Friendly, fun and safe!”

Hoey Moey Backpackers
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Im 26 from UK! I stayed at the hoey for a period of 3 months and it was fantastic and one of the best times I had in Australia.

From the moment I walked in I was made to feel welcome. I was in need of farm work and while checking in I asked frank about the options. He immediately made phone calls for me and also point me in the direction of backpackers there who had been working on farms already (some of them had organised it themselves). The very next day I was on a farm and stayed there for the next 3 months! On top of that frank informed me of day jobs for locals and at public events in Coffs.

The atmosphere at the hostel was brilliant. Loads of events were organised like tues and fri BBQ, uni night with drink specials, a quiz night, day trips to see beaches and kangaroos and not to mention the crab racing and Sunday sessions.

There were also boogey boards and bikes for rent, footballs and rugby balls etc. never a dull moment.

The kitchen was clean and well equipped as a backpacker helped clean when I was there. If you needed any help then all the staff were there to help you- there was a great community family feel about the place.

If you can't cook then there are well priced and good food meals inside the pub and restaurant. It's had a recent makeover and has a good feel about it.

The locals in the pub were very welcoming and always had a friendly chat with the backpackers. Years and years ago I heard it was a bit bikie but its had new owners for a while and that's all changed and sat/sun has a good mix of backpackers and also families and locals.

There is live music almost every night which is great.

When I was there it was really safe and not too loud at crowded at all. If you want peace it's easy to find in social areas dotted all round the hoey.

In terms of nearby amenities there is a huge shopping mall just 10 min walk away with everything you would need. A bottle shop situated 25m from your door! And not to mention a beautiful peaceful beach on your doorstep. Literally 30 steps from the rooms.
The hoey has a bus too for pick ups and drop offs.
The skydiving and surfing team also pick you up when you have a lesson/jump arranged.

I met so many backpackers in my time there and all loved the place- except the odd few. But they were the type of people who would complain unless they were in the ritz! Be realistic, it is a hostel/ motel but a good one and well priced!

Any trip up the east coast deserves a trip to the hoey!

And don't worry about it being regional or too quiet! It's an idyllic spot and there are a few clubs in the centre that'll cater for the party crowd and let you have a shot at meeting the locals!!

Good luck backpackers and enjoy the hoey!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Rrrrobb

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Had a renovated double room here on way home from qld very clean new beds n linen much better than motor inn we stayed at in ballina n paid twice the price. Cheap good meal n right on beach could have stayed longer easily

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank thorn36
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed in a private room, and we were happy with the bed and wall mounted TV; The beach is in the backyard, and the shops are just a ten minute walk away. We had a car, and parking was not a problem. This is a great option if you're looking for budget accommodation as a couple. It didn't have a backpacker feel to it, but the bar/restaurant was bustling with everyone (locals and travellers) and the 8.50 feed was well worth it. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimmiw1982
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed here during a road trip back down the coast with some friends. This really is quite a grungey old backpackers, that does have some old motor inn character about it and it literally is RIGHT on the beach in coffs. The pub serves good food, the beds are relatively comfy but I was abit wary of the shower. Lots of international backpackers, and be aware that if you are staying on a weekend the pub venue is LOUD and will not settle until around 1am. There was also a domestic that took place in one of the rooms during our stay and the police had to come and take the boyfriend away...apparently there were stabbings there also back in December. So if you just want somewhere to crash or pass out its a great option....otherwise there are lots of cheap motor inns in coffs too but am glad that a place of this character still exists.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed in a dorm of four we all arived on the same greyhound bus not noing each other. The pick up service was on time and the guy who picked us up and checked us in was very kind and helpfull. The food is good and cheap and same with the bar.
I would come again!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I write very few reviews but I was so shocked at the rudeness of one of the employees and at their ridiculous policies that I had to write this.
It Began with speaking to Frank, a German employee who organises the farm work for the guests staying at the hostel (as was advertised on their site). It became apparent very quickly that he prefers to help the German speaking guests rather than anyone else. He was extremely rude when I spoke with him and basically brushed me off and told me to talk to other guests rather than ask him (even though he was the one with all the information).

Another day I was waiting in line to speak with him regarding wifi (which is advertised all over, but after a few failed attempts and speaking to other guests it actually doesn't work, on top of the fact that if it did it cost a fortune anyway). Anyway I was next in line and a few german speaking guest walked in just as it was my turn and he completely ignored me and turned to speak with them, although i had been waiting patiently.
As the work was so unreliable I asked could I leave (I had paid for an extra week the previous day) but Frank looked at me as if I had asked the most stupid question and was told under no circumstances would I get my money back (However i had been told by other guests that this had been done before, and it says on their web site that two days notice has to be give, which i was willing to pay for).

The hostel was fully booked at this stage, and I was speaking to a girl who wanted to stay there as her friends were staying there but had been turned away due to it being full. I asked could she take my place but was told no way. I am leaving 5 days early now and am yet to see if they are going to try sell my bed again.

The kitchen is VERY dirty, pretty much the the guests fault but its a bad system in the first place. Aswell their are NO cups, bowls, about 3 spoons, one sink, 3 fridges and two small shelves for 80 people. And FULL of flies.

Also if you do have work in the morning, or would like to sleep any time before 11, or have a sleep in this is definitely not the place as they have VERY loud music coming from the bar every morning and night!
I had been told they had spent money on renovations, however that obviously was not on the accommodation but only the bar (typical).

When I decided to leave I asked could I book the bus back to the airport, which at the time was ok,and I was written into the book (well I thought so) I was due to leave at 11am. however i heard the guy who was supposed to take me organising at trip for 11 to somewhere else.I reminded him I was heading to the airport, and he told me I had to leave straight away because he was busy at 11, although I had previously arranged this lift the day before. so I packed the rest of my things in about 2 minutes, (probably left stuff there) and was 2 1/2 hours early for my flight.
all and all, I was very unhappy with this hostel and their lack of customer service. the only thing that made my stay bearable were the other guests. Frank should not be allowed speak to customers the way he does I was completely shocked.

Room Tip: dont go here
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank suehargrove
HoeyMoey, Manager at Hoey Moey Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We had around 60 backpackers from all over the world staying with us when you were here and most of them were working on the farms. We assist every backpacker who stays with us to find employment regardless what language they speak or where they come from. The reason why we advised you to speak to our other guests was that we knew they had been working on a farm for several weeks and some people had still a spot left in their car and you could have gone to work with them. You choose to ignore our advise and didn't speak to anyone so they took somebody else to work.

We are sorry that you experienced issues with our WiFi. We have upgraded it and the signal can now be picked up from the bar, beer garden, restaurant and the rooms. We also no longer charge for WiFi it’s for free for all our guests.

Our cancellation policy is very clear and simple, it’s on our website and on our registration form which you read and signed when you checked in. Bookings can be cancelled with us free of charge up to 2 days before check in. No refunds will be given if guests check out early for example if you pay for 1 week and decide to leave 2 days earlier.

Our free shuttle service is for everyone. On some occasions we have people leaving and arriving at the same time from the bus stop, train station or airport. We didn't want to take the risk of you arriving late at the airport and missing your flight and therefore left earlier. If you didn't want to leave earlier with our free shuttle bus you could have just told us and we would be happy to arrange a taxi for you.

We hope you still enjoyed your time travelling and working in Australia.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Didn't stay there, just had dinner in the restaurant. As we were in Coffs for just one night and just wanted somewhere to have a feed, this place was recommended by the motel we were staying at as it was 200 metres down the road. Although we didn't stay for the live band cause we had the kids, this place really knows how to entertain, with something on every night of the week. Usually when I see a place offering cheap meals I stay away, but they offered a rump with salad and chips for $8.50, which then you add $4.50 for the Surf N Turf option, and it was great. Plenty of different beers on tap all at a good price. What does upset you off is when you go to pay for your meal there is a sign which reads that a $0.50 surcharge is payable for credit cards, no dramas, but then the guy behind the counter charges you $2.00 and says thats because its a corporate card. after explaining that its a standard Mastercard he then blames the eftpos machine and explains that I can try a different card. Hey, it's only an extra $1.50, but how many people does this happen to. Just left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family