“Relaxing stay for whole family”

BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Sydney, Australia
“Relaxing stay for whole family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Four of our families stayed at Aanuka Resort. The three families with kids had the 2 or 3 bedroom townhouses. My folks stayed in a single level villa. The resort is excellent. Lots of facilities all included in the price - tennis courts (including lights for free is required), fun putt putt golf course (again free under lights), 2 outdoor pools and a heated indoor one. It's also right behind Diggers Beach. The beach is patrolled which is a great comfort. The water was nice and warm (23C) and the conditions were awesome for boogie boarding. There are lovely headland walks starting at the resort. We shopped the first day at the nearby shopping centre and were set for the rest of our 8 day stay. Our townhouse was well equipped with plenty of space inside and a nice private courtyard at the back. Our only issue was the uncomfortable king bed. The mattress had seen better days. Our microwave broke down on our second day. The staff were terrific - got an instant replacement unit and a new one a couple of days later. Highly recommended for a relaxing all inclusive family stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Geoff K

Thank you for your lovely feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor

We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us

We hope to see you and your family again in the near future. As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to take the opportunity to invite you to return to Breakfree Aanuka Beach Resort and offer you a 10% discount off your next holiday when booking resort direct.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

It is not my chosen activity to drive 7 hours on my birthday but as we were heading to Fraser Island from Sydney my wife found this "a relaxed, tropical style beachfront resort" to spend my birthday evening. We arrived at 7PM and found or small room to be adequate but rather dingy for a 4 star resort. All I wanted was to sit in a hot spa and relax after driving the entire 7 hours on my own. One of the reasons we choose this place was the fact that there were multiple spas. Well the first spa I located was tepid at best, had no jets and was obviously there for children. The second spa I located when disappointed with the first one was the indoor spa and this one was completely and utterly cold. The third spa was out of order and empty. Needless to say I returned to the room for a hot shower as the hot relaxing spa experience was not happening. After taking a shower I flushed the toilet and found out that the plumbing was so bad that it sounded like it was about to explode. This was the case not only if we flushed the toilet but if anyone else in the block flushed their toilet. Again not what I expected for a a "relaxed, tropical style beachfront resort" that the website touts. Finally I find it absurd that McDonald can offer free wifi for the price of a milkshake but this resort could not do the same for many many times the price. We paid $230 for the smallest hotel room and I felt completed ripped off. I alerted the staff to my issues in the morning and they said so sorry but of course there was nothing they could do since we were only staying one night. Yes the location was lovely but if the facilities are broken why bother with this resort. For one night stay in a motel for half the price.

Room Tip: flush your toilet before you settle into your room as otherwise you get to hear demolition noises ev...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dovman
Dear Dovman

Thank you for your feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor
I will be sure to pass your feedback onto appropriate department heads.
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed in early April, in a 2 bedroom apartment. Apartment was spacious and clean enough, but in need of some TLC. Just in terms of things like a very noisy fridge, dirty dishwasher and very unequipped kitchen. We didn't need to cook during our 4 night stay, but had we needed too, would have been difficult, utensils were lacking and not very clean.

Resort is in beautiful location and surrounds and has the potential to be something spectacular! Driving into it, you feel you are going into a Bali type Resort, lush, green and tropical setting right on the beautiful Dicky Beach. But I believe as long as the staff and management run it the way they do, it'll never reach it's full potential. My feedback to this resort is for Management to have a good sit down with their staff and discuss ways in which customer facing staff can be 'nicer, more genuine and more helpful' to their customers. We had a terrible experience with 2 reception staff about our 'pre-paid' breakfast situation. It was an utter embarrassment to your establishment that we were treated the way we were and given absolutely 'nothing or no alternative' to try resolve the problem. In short (we had pre-paid for breakfast for all mornings) $200, back when I booked our stay, in Jan. It was somewhat my own fault that I forgot we had included breakky, i didnt check before we arrived. But upon check in I asked for breakfast, and was told we could purchase it, so that's what I did, purchased 1 breakfast. At the time, the staff didn't care to look at our booking hard enough to let me know we have breakky included already. Several days into our stay, we realised the cost of our stay was $200 more than we thought it should be and it was then that we reaslised we had pre-paid breakfast. So naturally we questioned this with reception staff, and made them aware that we weren't told and had missed 2 breakfasts already by this time. Their response was very defensive and only made us feel worse! No refund was suggested and when I suggested it, I was immediately 'shut down' "Oh no, we cant do that!" The lady who checked us in was there at the time, in and out of the back room, closing and opening the doors whilst throwing offensive comments our way, how disgusting of her the way she behaved, she couldn't/should have come out to face us properly, she just threw negative and mindless comments our way, that were not helpful at all. It was disappointing that had we had not realised the mistake, you would have charged us for 1 more breakfast on top of the 4 we had already paid for! Now that's poor service or what one can easily call a 'rip off'.

We were on holiday and it had been spoilt at this point. We were not yelling at reception staff, we simply went in calmly and nicely to give you feedback about needing to check your bookings a little better and let people know if they have extras included upon check in, and all we got was retaliation and unhappy faces. I'm sorry but Aanuka should be ashamed! The lady who checked us in, needs to get more customer service training or perhaps she's not happy in her job and should not be client facing! Just one more thing, I thought of an easy solution to our problem, we could have easily been offered a voucher for a nights dinner at your restaurnt that would have covered it and kept us happy enough, but no... "staff not able to think on their feet" Just very quick to say "No, cant do anything for you,sorry too bad".

I would have happily recommended Aanuka to people, but this simple bad experience quickly changed my mind about this resort.

Anyone wanting to stay here, don't book breakfast before you arrive, do it once you get there (but breakfast not tasty anyway, just make your own or go into town).

Pools were very cold, couldn't use them. Kids used small indoor pool, found it to be dirty. I reported some mud on floor in there, to reception, but no ground staff came in for the several hours we were there and by that time the mud had washed into the pool - not good at all! Kids got sick a couple of nights later, I think it was the pool water.

Anyway, I wouldn't stay here until management improve first on their customer service and helpfulness and then on updating their rooms.

5 Thank kalaj
Dear Kalaj

Thank you for your feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor
I will be sure to pass your feedback onto appropriate department heads
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family and I drove down from brisbane to spend five nights in a 2 bedroom spa villa, we found the accomodation to be better than expected, a two story town house with en-suite and bathroom upstairs and a toilet downstairs, spacious, clean and private.
The whole resort is beautifully landscaped with covered walkways throughout, various different pools including one with a water slide for the kids and an indoor heated pool, playground, tennis courts and restaurant.
The resort runs along the beach and although you can't see the beach for the trees its easily accessible, if you use the restaurant/cafe/breakfast room you do have views of the sea though.
Watch out for the bush turkeys, they can be a bit agressive as my husbands now dead smartphone can testify to!!
Overall a very enjoyable family holiday of relaxing peace and quiet :-)

1 Thank 5gettingaway5
Dear 5gettingaway5

Thank you for your lovely feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor
We hope to see you again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My Wife & I enjoyed the relaxing feel of the resort. Surrounding gardens were great & made the ambiance of the area quite tranquil. Location is perfect to get away from highway traffic noise with just the sounds of the Ocean waves. Our room was very clean including the bathroom & Kitchen which offered plenty of options if staying longer. The Spa bath was especially enjoyable with glass ceiling to the stars, made for a perfect romantic eveing for my wife & I. The staff were very friendly & helpful & the food serves were ample. Bar staff were great & very professional. Thank you to all involved in the set-up we commend you.

Room Tip: Our Spa Bure room was fantastic for two people. Roomy & comfortable
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BigGav69

Thank you for your lovely feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your little piece of paradise as much as we do & hope to see you and your wife again in the near future
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed one night travelling north. The staff were not particularly helpful or efficient ,the guy at breakfast treated us like criminals trying to dodge paying.the room was crammed into the far corner of the resort , the window was so close to the fence that little natural light got in. On entering it smelt musty and unused. WiFi! We paid for access but the service was unusable,spent 2 hours trying to resolve with hotel who said it was the providers fault and the provider who said it was the hotels fault. We resorted to the phone to make essential contacts and we're asked to pay $57 for the privilege. Overall nobody seems to be making much effort just taking the money.did I mention the bed was easily the worst we had in all the hotels we used in Australia

2 Thank Graham R
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Graham R

Thank you for the feedback, I have spoken to the duty manager that was on the morning of your departure and she explained to me that the rate of $57 was discounted, even though costing is explained to all guests in the compendium located on the table of every room.
She has also explained that azure was contacted to reset the internet server for you so as you could access the internet and that no further issues were reported after doing so.
I will be sure to pass your feedback onto department heads so as we can get these issues rectified.
Armidale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My family, including lots of relatives stayed at Aanuka for two nights recently. It was a sad, although most memorable time celebrating the life of my mum, which included a luncheon at Finns... Thankyou, thankyou to all staff. Your consideration, empathy with the utmost professionalism was exemplary. Many of our friends and family commented on the resort, such a relaxed , clean and comfortable units with great facilities. Everyone gave us feedback with such commendable positivity, I am sure there will be many of our group, particularly those who came from afar that will return.
Once again, our sincere thanks to the management and staff.

Room Tip: I love the bures closest to the beach....
1 Thank JAussies
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear JAussies

Thank you for your lovely feedback you have left us on TripAdvisor

I will be sure to pass your positive comments onto our staff
We hope to see you again!!