“Good for a night stop”

Coffs Coast Motor Inn & Villas
Ranked #7 of 17 Coffs Harbour B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stopped off for a night on our way through Coffs Harbour. We found it online on our drive in and decided to give it ago. While the location is on the main road, we heard no noise during the night and the manager upgraded us to there better rooms at the same $80.00 rate. While I wouldn't stay here if I was staying in Coffs for a week on holidays, it was a great (and cheap) property for a bed for the night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed here on the way up to Queensland and also on the way back home. I found the rooms to be clean, roomy, fresh and modern, excellent and friendly service from the staff and also Management. I would have no problems in recommending this Motel to anyone wishing to stay. The price was excellent and the motel was one of the best that I had stayed in on my trip. Many other Motels that I stayed at were more expensive and not up to the standard of this motel. Thank you for an excellent experience

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This was the perfect location to stay. It was central to everything- beach, mall, cinema, food places etc... Up the highway or down the highway, not possible to get lost! The accommodation was clean, roomy and fresh (we stayed in a self-contained villa), the pool was sparkling and the staff very friendly and obliging. Having read some reviews of this place before we booked, I had a slight concern that it would be noisy because of the highway, but I must say we heard NO traffic noise at all, our villa was not right at the back of the property so the highway wasn't that far away.The only reason we didn't give it an excellent rating was because of some very SLIGHT improvements such as balconies shielded at either end, maybe by trellis for privacy from other balconies & a small table & chairs to sit on out there. Then it would of been perfect.

Room Tip: If you're staying for 3 nights plus get a villa, it's not much more and the extra room is ve...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This and other booking sites list this motel as pet friendly - with prior approval but at no extra charge. Be warned! I contacted the motel directly by phone 7 days before making my reservations to clarify their pet policy. I did not hear back from them, so made a booking in accordance to their published policies and indicated that we would be bringing our dog. I was later emailed and informed that my room would cost 65% more and would be in an undesirable area of the park (next to the highway). When I questioned the misleading advertising I was met with cheap shots at my intelligence. The management is defensive, obnoxious and insulting when questioned - suggesting that I had in some way tried to 'circumvent' the system in order to get away with a cheaper room. I simply wanted the booking rate to be honoured and I pointed out that their online policy was misleading to the accommodation booking community. If you do want a pet friendly room and this review hasn't put you off - make sure you book the only 'Pet Friendly' room - you need to look out for it as its towards bottom of the list of rooms and easy to miss.

Room Tip: The pet friendly room is un-renovated. If they approve you for another room, it will be the most un...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Chris B, Owner at Coffs Coast Motor Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

This is becoming labourious Kelly, after 9 emails & numerous complaints to booking.com (which rejected your complaint..yes I have the email) and finally an untruthful review here.

Firstly you have never stayed at our property & certainly not in Dec ‘13. You said this to enable a slanted review on Trip Advisor on 2 Dec. Your own booking was made via Booking.com on 1 December @ 10:42pm.

We have 1 dedicated “Pet Friendly” room which is clearly & specifically labelled on every website, as is the tariff and includes a queen bed only. Knowingly, you purposely booked a twin room that was not “Pet Friendly” at a much reduced tariff and stated “we are bringing a small dog”. You did not phone in advance since you advised me you left a message and we have no message service! Summarising, you haven’t stayed with us previously, you booked a larger room not dedicated to pet stays but at a cheaper rate & you didn’t call & leave a message.

On receipt of your booking I emailed you @ 8:39am 2 Dec and as a service offered to accommodate you in the only twin room which would be suitable for a pet stay. The extra cleaning necessitates the additional fee for pets to ensure later guests are not inconvenienced. But what we saw as an extended service, you took as an affront, despite the fact that you clearly tried to circumvent the use and payment for the “Pet Friendly” room which obviously didn’t suit you at any time since you booked a twin room. Booking.com’s rejection of your complaint and the tone of their email supports our view.

The snide suggestion about the position of the “Pet Friendly” room on the websites and the suggestion of misrepresentation are false. To prove your inaccuracies, the “Pet Friendly” room was renovated along with all our rooms. Over 100 hundred other guests have had no problem booking & using our Pet Friendly room.

Kelly you had no intention of abiding by our “Pet Friendly” accommodation & showed no consideration for following guests in rejecting the need for additional cleaning. It was always about getting your pet stay on your terms & bullying & complaining until you did. You couldn’t even present an honest review on Trip Advisor. This selfish attitude causes the majority of motels to avoid pet friendly accommodation, impacting on many deserving guests.

To quote Booking.com’s email to Kelly “Your reservation was made at a lower rate, without the pet friendly facility and under the assumption you would simply inform the hotel you would bring your dog, without extra cost and without their approval”

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here one night on our way from Brisbane to Sydney. We tried to stay closer to the beach, but as it was in the school holidays, we were forced back to the Pacific Highway.
We managed the get the last room and instead of the advertised $ 85 we were made to pay $ 100 for a 'quiet' renovated room. Even though it was slightly set back from the road the traffic noise never subsided, not good for a well earned night's sleep. The 'renovation' was a leather couch, could not see much more than that. The floor felt rough, not sure if it was dirt, so kept my slippers on. We couldn't get breakfast, so we went to the Dutch place next door, nice breakfast but again very over prized.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AWCostless
Chris B, Owner at Coffs Coast Motor Inn & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

I'm sorry you appear to have not enjoyed your stay with us, but I feel your review is somewhat harsh.

You clearly state you tried elsewhere on the beach which is significantly more expensive than our $100 tariff should you every compare like for like. You also mention it was school holidays which is peak season and that the beach properties were full and we had but 1 room left.

Our signage and websites clearly stated the $85 tariff you refer to relates to a Traveller Queen room, which were all sold. The $100 tariff related to the room in which you stayed and was cheap compared to what you would have paid on the beach for comparable standards in peak times, so I'm having difficulty in rationalising how we are considered expensive.

The flooring issue was not dirt but rather the "faux" woodgrain effect over the floor covering and sadly you chose, albeit by default, a highway motel where a higher traffic noise is to be expected.

In fairness, you were not overcharged, our bedding is only 18 months old, our room/floors were clean and you got the very last room available, possibly in all of Coffs which I thought would have earned some appreciation. However I can relate to any disillusionment in not being able to stay where you had intended and having to accept a "lower standard", but I think this has somewhat tainted your view of our property.

We do hope your next visit to Coffs Harbour is more enjoyable and wish you safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This Motor Inn advertises as a budget motel. This is quite accurate but even though the room we requested (for 4 nights) was simple and nothing flash, it was clean, had a great TV,the beds were comfortable, the shower was hot and the towels were changed every day. Chris, the owner was extremely helpful and friendly and the pool was great. For budget accommodation, we highly recommend this establishment. One added bonus is that it is a 2 min walk from the Clog Barn.

Room Tip: As the Motor Inn is next to the highway, request a room away from the highway. It is well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here for one night in July. We had booked a room close to the highway,but we were given a quieter room when we checked in at no extra charge. Rooms are basic but very clean and have everything you need. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013