“Pet friendly motel”

Toreador Motel
Toreador Motel
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The people who run it are very friendly and helpful.
The room allocated to me is right next to the highway. Quite noisy at night as many trucks passing through during the night.
Unfortunately, the room is very basic. And it seems to be the case when you travel with your pet.
Same room as the others but charge more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank David97sydney
John and Val S, Owner at Toreador Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Our Pet Friendly rooms are always very popular and we are frequently told "good value for money".
Unlike our other rooms they are equiped with vinyl flooring for easy cleaning and after each pet stay sprayed and thoroughly cleaned.
Pet rooms are located close to garden area for exercise and toiletting.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

The couple who owned it were helpful, can't fault that. I walked into the room after a long day driving and the smell hit me like a wall. I wanted to walk straight out again, but I was exhausted. I think it was the bedspread. The place was down at heel. No coffee or tea making, I have had much better for less money. Then I noticed that separating me from the outside world and truckies was a push button bathroom lock. As a woman traveling alone this didn't amuse me and I set up a noisy barrier behind the door. I didn't shower, I didn't think I would feel much cleaner. I wouldn't book this motel, there are much better.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KFP777
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We rented the spa room. How it fit in there I do not know, as it is unbelievably small. We had room 18 which is in the corner with no parking. The walls needed to be washed down. There was a brown hand mark on one and a green smear on another. I don't want to know what they were. We tried to stay here but only got through to midnight before realizing we would not be able to sleep on the lumpy sack that used to be a mattress many years ago. So we locked the key in the room and kept on our journey. No one has contacted us. Seriously, this was not up to any commercial standard I know, camping is more comfortable.

Room Tip: The best room to stay in would be somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gareth W
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We had a long drive from Sydney to Noosa and decided to overnight at Coffs - we arrived in the rain and it was dark, but managed to luck out with the Toreador Motel - John made us very welcome - gave us the keys to room 17 (at the back away from the highway) and even looked up Italian restaurants for us - as we had a craving for pasta! Spotlessly clean - free wifi and cable tv - all you could ask for really! When I got back home and realised I had left my nightie behind - John has offered to post this back to me! We will definitely be back! The restaurant we went to was Maria's and again excellent!

Room Tip: Room 17 was Joh'n's recommendation for quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Heartfelt56
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We found the staff very friendly, the room was clean and beds comfortable. We stayed overnight on our way to QLD. The family room was adequate in size for the price, pool was fantastic and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadine Q
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here with my partner to break up a long trip and we arrived later than planned and as we approached reception, the lady behind the desk was wonderful. Check in was very quick. We proceeded to our room and were pleasantly surprised with how clean the room was! Yes it is basic, but if you want more, you pay a substantial amount more. Would not hesitate to come back! Only found one small issue, air con was quite noisy, but not a big issue. Bed was comfy and we got a great nights sleep. check out was just as quick which made our overall stay quite enjoyable

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Renh85
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I read the previous reviews which were very unimpressive, so phoned the motel and found out that the new managers took over that very day - 2 weeks later we arrived and found the family room to be small, basic and very clean. The kids loved the pool which was also clean with an old but stable overhead shade sail. The managers were friendly and polite - the fan in our family room was not working when we arrived but was repaired by an electrician within a couple of hours (aircon worked well if a little noisy). The Toreador was a good motel to break long journeys and the room was quieter than expected as the motel is located near the main road through Coffs Harbour. The new managers are in the process of bringing the motel up to scratch and have already made a major improvement on the motel's previous condition - I think it's more deserving of the 3 stars now.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiwimars1
StevieCoffsHarbour, Owner at Toreador Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

As the new owners of the Toreador we are pleased that our efforts to improve the standard of the rooms , amenities and swimming pool have been appreciated by guests over the Christmas period. We have upgraded the wireless internet access which is now reliably available from all rooms and there are new larger towels and dispenser ammenities.
We will continue to upgrade the property over the coming months while providing value for money and friendly service.
John and Val Saunders