“What is the deal with all the bad reviews???”

BreakFree on George
Ranked #91 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Cleveland, Ohio
“What is the deal with all the bad reviews???”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The multiple bad reviews given to this establishment had my husband and I terrified about staying here. After our experience however, I have to chalk it up to some seriously finicky patrons.

This place was great! The location was prime for the price. We literally walked anywhere and everywhere around Sydney; from Darling Harbour, to Sydney Harbour, to Darlinghurst and Paddington. The food nearby was spectacular and the shopping was more than adequate.

The service was extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. They were able to get us into a room immediately after we arrived from our 15 hour flight from the U.S., so we could shower, rest, and get our vacation under way. They helped us check in for our flights and print off our boarding passes without charging us to use the expensive in-room internet service.

The room was ample in size and adequately clean. We even had a fridge to store food, and a stove to heat it up.

My *only* complaint/concern is the street noise. We were on the 9th floor and were frequently woken up by rowdy late night bar patrons, or the usual honking/engine roaring that's experienced in any major metropolitan area. I can't say this is necessarily the fault of the hotel though, unless they were to invest in soundproofing the windows.

In summary, we loved this hotel, and if you're the type of traveler who spends more time seeing the sights than being obsessed with what your hotel room looks like, I think you'll agree.

1 Thank absolutangel21
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your impression of BreakFree on George. I really appreciate your comments, and am especially delighted that you found the service so good.

Our location is definitely one of our greatest benefits and I am pleased that you found it so convenient for your stay in Sydney. I do apologise for the street noise, we do try our best to minimise any effect on our guests and are constantly replacing seals and latches on the windows to ensure minimal noise.

Nathan Quinlan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Hotel is in a great location, close to everything. Staff were friendly and helpful. The bed in our room was pretty bad, but you can get that anywhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on our Hotel. I especially appreciate the comments on how friendly and helpful the staff were during your stay. I will be sharing your comments with them.

Thank you again for your comments. If you get a chance, please let me know the room number you stayed in, so we can have a look at the bed. We are in the process of replacing beds.

I look forward to welcoming you back to BreakFree on George soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I have stayed at Breakfree many times, one bedroom apartments and upwards are best, studios feel a tad small. Rooms have opening windows & sometimes you can get a balcony which is great for some fresh air. Can't ask for a better location, within walking distance to everything! Chinatown is at your door step and Paddy's Market is around the corner, main stream shopping is approx 10 mins walk but there are shops all along the way. Darling Harbour is is also a 10 min walk with heaps of Cafe's and restaurants! So overall, it is value for money!

1 Thank BunYCasper
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George Hotel.

I am naturally delighted to read your comments on your thoughts on the Hotel. Thank you again for your feedback, it is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels and maintaining quality standards, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back, once again, to BreakFree on George soon.

Tas
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My friend had called the hotel to book our room as we were 4 females travelling together and wanted separate beds. On arrival we were told the bed configuration was on request and couldn't be guaranteed unless you had called directly. (the person who had made the booking hadn't arrived yet so we couldn't argue this point at the time).

As we had two queen beds which wasn't what we wanted they offered to bring up a rollaway bed or make up the sofa bed. As there wasn't a lot of extra space in the room we opted for the sofa bed.

We were only given one key card for four people and told the machine to make new keys wasn't working and maybe working later tonight - it wasn't, nor the next couple of days after that. The one key that we had was also not very good and would take us a good 20 swipes until it finally worked. Or maybe we just had to hold our tongues right.

We did go down to reception later in the night to check if the key machine was working and found out they had added $45 to our room charge to make up the sofa bed! They finally agreed to take this off as I wasn't told when they said they would make up the sofa bed. This is despite the fact we were already paying $400 a night for bedding configuration that did not suit our needs AT ALL. We could have booked twin hotel rooms for that price.

My other main concern with this property was security. There was a key swipe in the lift but this wasn't working so you could get in the lift and go to any floor you liked. I went out walking early one morning and didn't take the one and only room key as the other girls would be able to let me in when I returned. I didn't consider that the entrance doors was locked and I would need the key until I returned. Before I had too much time to worry a delivery man came and buzzed to be let in. The person on reception didn't even look up from what he was doing and opened the door to let him in and I went on in unnoticed behind him.

Good things about this hotel, the location was great right near Chinatown and Darling Harbour and the Entertainment centre where we needed to go. The rooms were clean and tidy if a bit on the small side. We weren't bothered by the noise as we were on the higher levels.

Would I stay here again - probably not, unless I was desperate and the price was right. I expect when a booking is made for a 2 bedroom apartment with single beds in the 2nd room as was specified then that is what you get, it is what we booked and and paid for and is what we should have received. If we had known it couldn't be guaranteed we would not have stayed here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kaz0908
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your experience whilst staying at BreakFree on George.

I was naturally disappointed to read your concerns with the bedding configuration and key swipe card during your stay. Please do accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience or disappointment caused.

We do try where possible to provide all guest requests, but as you may understand, we do only have a limited amount of each room configuration and don’t have any 2 bedroom apartments that actually have 4 x single beds. However I must apologise again for the way that this was handled.

We have had an issue with our room key swipe cards or recent, majority of this issue has been now rectified. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Should you care to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would welcome any further comment.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your stay, I do hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Cheap.
Location in China Town, walking distance to everything! Loved the convenience of this.
Small kitchen with all the basic necessities, nice bed, bathtub/shower, good living area. Everything was new and clean. Friendly staff.
My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed staying here overnight.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gatto89
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impression from your recent stay at BreakFree on George Hotel.

I am naturally delighted to read your comments on your stay – convenience, location, facilities, cleanliness and especially on the service you experienced from the staff. Your comments will be shared with the team.

Kone, New Caledonia
Reviewed 2 May 2011

* Location - great. Next to Chinatown, short walk, taxi, bus or train to various spots around Sydney.
* Arrival - difficult. Very limited parking in the area. Even in a taxi.
* Reception - it's like a shopping mall. Pedestrian traffic passes right through the lobby from one street to another. It's like trying to check in in the middle of a laneway.
* Checkin - room wasn't ready (even at 2pm). They asked me to leave my bags on a trolley in the lobby! See point above regarding foot traffic. No way was I leaving my bag unattended. I asked that it be securely stored. This request was met with a groan before being placed in the storage room.
* Finally my room was available - BUT they had to escort me TO OPEN THE DOOR. The key card system wasn't working so everytime I wanted to go back to my room I had to go via reception and get someone to come up and open my door.
* Inside the room tried to connect to internet (no wireless - needed to connect via cable). Cable connection broken! Asked for it to be fixed. Didn't hear back.
* Overall....not a great experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank quiksmart

I was naturally disappointed to read you’re that your room was not ready by the 2pm check in time and there were issues with your internet cable. Please do accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience or disappointment caused. Your comments have been shared with the whole team.

Nathan Quinlan

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

gold coast
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed at the Breakfree on George for 5 nights and was pleasantly surprised by our experience. The hotel staff were attentive and very friendly. Stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was clean and inviting. Loved the welcome card and bowl of fruit - was a nice touch after such a long day of travelling. Beds were comfortable, bathroom clean. I must admit that i was concerned about the hotel ( because of previous comments) but I really couldn't complain about anything. We had a great time!
The hotel is very central and there is a free bus service right outside the hotel which travels through the CBD. Very handy indeed when you have tired children.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gctraveller_11

I am naturally delighted to read your comments on your stay, the room facilities/cleanliness, location and especially on the service you experienced from the staff. Your comments will be shared with the team.