“Very good value!”

BreakFree on George
Ranked #93 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I've stayed in many 3 and 4 star places in Sydney, but most are way overpriced and quite run down. This one is very convenient located opposite the Capitol building and very close to Chinatown, Paddy's Markets and World Square.

The room was quite long and a little narrow, yet felt spacious having a twin lounge and kitchenette.

There was a little bit of traffic noise from George Street but I didn't find it intrusive.

The bathroom was large enough and while it was nothing special it did the job.

The bed was very comfortable and the decor was modern and cheery, rather than expensive.

For the deal I got on Wotif it was great value.

Check out was a little slow but they were absolutely swamped that morning with a large group of overseas tourists.

I think I will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank asia_short_tripper
There are newer reviews for BreakFree on George

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hotel was in a great location for our stay - within minutes walk of the Sydney Entertainment Centre and trains. Hotel room however was pretty basic, bathroom dated, very noisy from the street. Not the four star I had expected. However very clean and the bed was comfy enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eloise J
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Booked a 2 Bedroom Apartment with twin singles and one queen. Was put in a 1 Bedroom apartment with 2 single beds in the middle of the lounge. No privacy. 2nd Bathroom - door hit toilet and had to squeeze in to shut door, climb over toilet to get to shower. No extra luggage racks - no hanging space except in main bedroom.

Staff did nothing to fix the problem or change our room, even after being spoken to over 5 times, saying hotel booked solid - but sign outside saying 1,2 and 3 Bedroom Apartments available now.

Buffet breakfast is not worth the $20 asking price. Can get a better breakfast up the road for $9.99.

Too expensive for such a small room, paid over $340.00 approx. a night (3) for a crappy weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I felt I had good value with my mystery deal staying in a studio for two nights @ $127 per nite. I was on the seventh floor facing Chinatown (away from George St). Pluses included comfortable. Queen bed, excellent location, room was cleaned the next morning by mid morning - not the usual
3pm which is common these days. I found the studio bigger than expected- not the most modern but comfortably furnished. You could open the windows which I liked adding to the Chinatown experience. This is right in Chinatown so expect street noise and cooking aromas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from George St and a high level.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, our booking was for 2 adults and 2 children and we were given 2 double beds, they provided us with linen for the sofa bed which was ok. We arrived early and our room was ready so that was terrific. Small kitchen came in very handy and it was nice to have a balcony. Rooms were quite musty but there was hardly any traffic noise which made up for the small negatives.

Location was fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013

While we on a short break in Sydney we decided to stay at Breakfree on the George rooms are neat and tidy with a small kitchen and separate bedroom, bathrooms are small but having a balcony made up for that. Once you step out of the Breakfree you are in China town which is so alive in the evenings. We used to catch a bus a couple of metres up the road and it was a blue bus number 555 it is a free service which finishes at 3.30 in the afternoon. It was great to just jump on and you can get of anywhere along George street either at the retail precinct or go to Darling harbour or get off at Central Quay. We caught a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly which cruised past Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera house with beautiful views all the way to Manly had a spot of lunch and back again. In the evenings we walked down through part of China town with so many Chinese and Asian restaurants and found this gem of a restaurant Adria Rybar & Grill right on Darling harbour with the most magnificent views across the harbour. I was a bit disappointed with Paddy’s Markets there was a lot of stalls which sold all the same things. We would stay at the George again because of its location.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peppercorn5
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The location of this hotel was very good, close to Central, Haymarket & Chinatown.
The room however was very noisy, you could hear every noise from the street 10 floors below, even on a Sunday night; so I did not sleep well. You would expect a 4 star hotel, with rooms facing a main street to have double glazing to reduce outside noise, but this is not the case with this hotel.
The room appeared clean, but I found several items which belonged to previous guests left in the fridge, beside the bed and under the tv stand/desk; also the furniture was showing signs of wear.
The breakfast was average.
The service I received from the staff was below what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. I had opted to pay for a late (2PM) checkout, because I hadn't slept well; but my attempts to get any sleep was constantly interrupted. At 10:30 they called my room saying that I was supposed to have checked out and that they had no record of me paying for a late checkout. At 11:00 they called back to say that they had found the record. At 11:30 housekeeping came to clean the room, even though the Do Not Disturb sign was left hanging on the door. At 12:00 they knocked on my door again to deliver bags to the room which were not mine.
By this time I had had enough so I went out for lunch, only to discover on returning 30mins later that my room key had been cancelled.
Based on my experience, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are several less expensive, quieter and better options within a block or 2 of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo