“Fantastic location in the Sydney CBD, close to The Sydney Entertainment Centre and Paddy's Markets.”

BreakFree on George
Ranked #97 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Absolute delight to stay at. The staff are very proffessional and accomodating, and our room was immaculate. Conveniently located within a 2 minute walk to Paddys Markets and a 5 minute walk to Sydney Entertainment Centre via Sussex St exit of Breakfree. Free City Bus No 555 located outside the George Street exit which takes you to thru the city CBD and to Circular Quay. Plenty of places close by to eat out at if you choose, or cook a meal easily in your self contained kitchen. Day spa on site.
Security pass to enter and exit building and lifts before 10am and after 9.30pm so you feel totally safe. Car parking not on site, but is available at $30-00 per day in Capitol Parking at 13 Campbell Street (short stroll across the street from Breakfree).
Parking ticket needs to be stamped by Breakfree staff for $30-00 deal and car needs to be out of parking by 10.30am otherwise extra charges apply.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2010

Thank you very much for taking your time to pass on your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I am naturally delighted that your stay was good and especially delighted to read the comments on the staff. I will pass on your comments.

This kind of feedback is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these assessments and comments.

Thank you again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the BreakFree on George Hotel soon.

Yours sincerely

Nathan Quinlan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,116)

Reviewed 7 September 2010

we arrived friday 3/9...staff were barely friendly...just do their jobs..we dont have credit cards and they didnt really know how to deal withn a cash deposit...the smell.-yes-...the noise..- to be expected(great location for night life/darling harbour etc)...close to monorail and trains etc..had read reviews prior to arrival so checked shower immediatly and found the spray head broken...told reception who replaced it withen 5 minutes.room 907...was reasonable.reception had received a call from family in out absence and placed a note under our door....concerning the chch earthquake.our daughter was home alone and we couldnt ring home due to ,then,unknown circumstances...reception were unhelpful.we found later that because of the $100 deposit they may have put a block on our ph...we were desparate to ring our daughter but were told that phs were 'probably' over loaded...in the morning we informed that shifts receptionist of our plight...and Nuchie immediately gave us the use of her personal cell phone..(we wont forget you Nuchie)she would not accept payment! we were then able to enjoy the rest of our first Sydney holiday...our daughter was ok..on departing i was informed that i had requested the use of a power adaptor...which i hadnt..and i wouldnt have needed one as nz and aussie share the same power voltage.....so maybe a touch up of some of the reception staff would go a long way..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scatter11

Thank you for sharing your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George Hotel.

I was naturally disappointed by your comment on the staff, as I am use to only positive comments on the service they provide. But your feedback is important and I appreciate you bring this to my attention, we will share your comments with the team to show how important it is to consistently provide warm, friendly and helpful service. I was however, delighted to read the comments on Nuch, I am glad to see such assistance provided.

I do apologise about the smell you experienced during your stay. The issue has now definitely been rectified. The issue was a plumbing fault in the building next to the Hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is a vital tool in maintaining quality standards. Should you care to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would welcome any further comment.

While unable to prevent some of the disappointments of your stay, I do hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over the weekend, We found the location excellent for exploring the city. So close to darling harbour,chinatown and shopping.The rooms have kitchenettes so you can prepare some meals in the room which is great. The front reception staff are very helpful. The only complaints i have about this hotel is the stuffy rooms. I found my room quite hot and I had the aircon on but it didn't work well. So I ended up opening the balcony door to cool the room down at night before we went to bed.Also the hallways to the rooms always smelt of asian food. It was not a pleasant smell. Not sure where it was coming from. But as soon as you come out of your room or the lift thats the smell your greeted by. Well thats on level 7 not sure what the other floors are like. Also I expected there to be a free computer in the hotel for guests to use.There was only one and you had to pay to use it. All in all this hotel met my expectations. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derek W
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and impression on your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I was naturally delighted to read your comments on the 'great location and excellent service'. The location is ideal for anyone looking to explore Sydney or be close to entertainment locations like Capitol Theatre and the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

I am pleased that you found the staff helpful, this kind of feedback is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these assessments and comments. We will be sharing them with the team.

Reviewed 30 August 2010

We booked for three nights on 27th August 2010. On arrival we were initially only allowed 2 swipe cards even though there were three adults- these cards never worked and we had them replaced everyday. Our room was 2 bedroom ,it was so small that we had to climb over the bed to get in,both bathrooms were very dated. On our first night we noticed a bad smell in the hallway, we inquired about it and were told they didn't know what it could be. The next day it was worse and again reception looked puzzeled but admitted they did know about it, but didn't know what it was. By Sunday it was unbearable and we again complained , they admitted it was sewerage pipes under the Hotel and we were told they weren't responsible for it and couldn't do anything for us. We met some guests who had also complained and they had been moved to a lower floor where the smell was less obvious.The duty manager on the 29th (Sunday) said she couldn't do anything as the manager was out of reach on cellphone. We did not accept this and insisted she called him- at this stage we had scarves over our noses when in the hallway and our room. We felt she was left in a difficult position by not being given the authority to try to help with a solution herself .She eventually got back to us and offered us a refund of one nights accomodation which we accepted.
To add to our list the dishwasher was missing the utensils container and the washing machine didn't work, these things might not seem so important but when you book accomodation based on ammenities provided you expect them to work.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bridget042
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent stay at the Hotel. I was naturally disappointed to read your comments on the swipe cards, the size of the room, bathrooms, the smell in the corridor and the issue with the dishwasher and wash machine in your room. Please do accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience or disappointed caused.

Our swipe card system usually works quite well, but can be sensitive when placed near anything that is even slightly magnetized, such as mobile phones or even credit cards.

Based on the described room type, I can’t quite understand why you would need to climb over the bed to get in, our bedrooms all have adequate space around the beds. I can only assume that the bed was incorrectly placed, and can only apologise for the mistake. I would naturally really appreciate it if you could let me know the room number so I can make sure this and the other items are fixed.

I am disappointed with the comments on the bathrooms, the Hotel is only 10 years old and we had a refurbishment in 2008. Plus we are very active on making sure the bathrooms always present well through our maintenance and general cleaning practices, though we all have our likes and dislikes and I must honor your impressions.

In regards to the smell that you experienced during your stay, unfortunately there was an issue with the adjoining building next door. Whilst we were very active in trying to manage the issue with our maintenance team and contract plumber to reduce the impact on our valued guests, we were limited by our neighbours actions. We also involved the Sydney City Council to help us get the issue rectified. Who is at fault may not be of any concern, especially versus the actual smell disrupting your stay, but I do hope you can see the limitations we had in fixing the problem quicker. This definitely wasn’t something we wanted impacting our guests. I also do apologise for way the complaint was handled by my team, they are naturally not use to dealing with such an issue.

You are correct in stating that you expect the amenities provide work, and again can only apology for the missing utensils container and not having better instructions on our new washer/dryer machines.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your stay, I do hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Located in the heart of the City. Walkable distance to all major attraction.Rooms are ok.
Toilets are neat and clean.No pot and pan in the room, have to ask the reception for pot and pan.So called apartment hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and impressions from your recent stay at the BreakFree on George Hotel. I am very glad that you found the location to suitable to your plans in Sydney. I do understand your comments on the pots & pans and apologise if you found this inconvenient. We do the pots & pans on request so that we can maintain the cleanliness of these, better guarantee of quality.

Thank you again for your comments, they are quite important and useful to us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the BreakFree on George soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2010

This hotel needs to update facilities. The lights were too dim. No cooking facilities in the room, you must ask staff for cooking pans etc. The shower head sends water going over the wall and floors and leaving wet towels.Get rid of shower curtains, they are sooo all fashioned. The walls were way too thin, too much could be heard from inside your room. At night all conversions could be heard outside, it was way too loud, we could not sleep. The swipe card was so worn, most swipes required more than 5 attempts for success.
The one good redeeming feature, the staff were fantastic, so helpful and accommodating
Also I think this accommodation is in the wrong end of town.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank hawks_10
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of BreakFree on George from your recent stay.

I was most disappointed to read your comments on the poor lighting , lack of cooking facilities, shower, card swipe and noise concerns in the room you stayed in. Please do accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience and disappointment you were caused.

We obviously need to address some maintenance issues with this room, as there shouldn’t really be any issues with lighting, the shower and card swipe. Naturally we will try to identify the room, but I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the room number so I can make sure these items are fixed and to also have a look at the noise issues. We do have cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery & glassware in all rooms, but do pots & pans on request so that we can maintain the cleanliness of these. Again I apology for these inconveniences.

I was, however, delighted to read that the staff were helpful and accommodation. I do have a great team, who are very customer focused, and I will be passing on your comments about them, so they see the acknowledgement for their service.

Your feedback is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels and the areas that need improvement, especially from a guest's point of view, and I appreciate you taking the time to make these assessments and comments.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your last stay I hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney, and show that we can do better.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

I found BreakFree an excellent location and great value. The hotel is perfect for walking access to Chinatown, Darling Harbour and the cinemas on Geroge Street. Perfect also for a trip to Paddy's Markets. Freed me up to do business and the wife had access to great shopping. Booking on line the hotel was really good value and provided a very comfortable stay. I will use it next time we ar ein Sydney.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2010

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of BreakFree on George from your recent stay with us.

I really appreciate your comment on the ‘excellent location and great value’, this is really how we like to be seen. It’s a great location to see many of the great sights Sydney has to offer – Capitol Theatre, China Town, Paddy’s Markets, Entertainment Centre, Chinese Gardens, Darling Harbour, plus plenty of shopping, restaurants and bars.

I am so glad you had a good stay, and do hope to see you back again at BreakFree on George soon.

Yours sincerely