“Foodie fun - but is it great?”
Review of Arras - CLOSED

Arras
Price range: US$97 - US$216
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Arras, beautiful minimalist decor, great service. We selected the 3 course dinner, we were served three additional 'tasting' experiences, some delicious. The wine by the glass is very limited..no buttery Chardonnays or full bodied Pinos Gris, all very light in the white department! And pricey! I didn't enjoy the wines:( some of the food was superb, masterfull, overall too many flavours in one serving! As someone said a 'chef on steroids'...too much. What was he trying to tell us..that he knows how to cook? Yes he does...but simplify it please...pigs cheeks with snapper? Really! The pumpkin beef jerky was too hard to eat..., the desert 'ball' once I managed to break it was sensational... Something else on the same plate tasted like sponge soaked in molasses- so our taste buds were definitely teased-
A great experience for sure but I probably won't go back, I wanted to rave but one or two things stopped me. Perhaps everyone should go once!! It is memorable.

2  Thank KiwiGranNewZealand

Reviewed 12 March 2014

What a culinary experience of the highest standard. To have a three or even a four course meal in a top restaurant is usually something you experience maybe once a month or even once a year but this experience was something else. To be waited on and served with exciting dishes which looked more like something plucked off a painting by an artist of renown was something to behold. The portion sizes were not what I usually get in other establishments but the presentation, the visual impact of each dish and not forgetting the taste were an absolute delight.
Tucked away at the top of Clarence Street with no scenic views to speak of apart from the austere décor is not an issue, the food presentation makes up for that. Nine courses over a 3 to 4 hour period was perfect and this restaurant, I highly recommend if you wish to impress your friends, family or business associates or just to experience modern cuisine of the 21st century. A truly great experience.

1  Thank toko1942
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was a fabulous experience - one I intend to repeat. Thank you. The service was wonderful, the waiter knowledgeable, the food fresh, clean and superb. Every course was terrific but please don't miss the petite fours.. Seriously, no matter how full you are, order them - it's so worth it.

Thanks again, I will be back.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Arras is a real find, and one definitely to be revisited. The food was outstanding, plated like a work of art with flavours to match. The complimentary amuse bouche and dessert taster were as beautifully presented as the main event. Staff were friendly and personable without being intrusive. And the petit fours? It's worth going here for those alone. Tiny tastes of all the favourites, so many to mention. There were jelly snakes and passionfruit jellies, nougat, fudge, tiny 'jammy dodgers', coconut ice, tiny blocks of chocolate with citrus, baby sized sweet Yorkshire puddings with rhubarb, shards of sugar lolly pops with sherbet, chocolate coated delights ... I know I've left things out but you get the idea. The delicate miniature treats that tempt so successfully were a wonderful finish. A superb meal.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I had a weekend in Sydney and we always try to fit in a meal at one of the really good restaurants. We have been to most of the "big names" and had some fine meals. I had not heard of Arras but a friend mentioned it but the reviews were good and it was very close to where we were staying. We were not disappointed!

The staff were welcoming and attentive but pleasantly informal. The decor was cheerful and the tables were well-spaced.

We opted for the 5 course degustation menu with matched wines - we did not think that we would have room for the 9 course menu! We were welcomed with a glass of intense gazpacho, followed by an amuse bouche of a deconstructed Caesar salad which was delicious. After that came an amazing mushroom dish and a delicious kedgeree with smoked eel and quinoa. The blue eyed trevalley with scallops was gorgeous. This was followed by the chef's version of boeuf bourgignon, again deconstructed and using veal and sweetbreads. By this time we were getting full so declined the optional cheese course - this was a difficult decision as the cheese board looked (and smelt!) great. We went on to a citrus and apricot concoction with a strawberry sorbet. This was followed by an absolutely brilliant dessert based on Pimms - truly one of my favourite ever desserts! We finished off with some (too many!) of the huge plate of petit fours. The matching wines were well chosen from around the globe: Tasmania, France and Japan all featured!

Although not a cheap meal, the outstanding quality of the food together with the lovely staff made this our best ever meal in Sydney and is right up there with our best ever meals worldwide. A huge thank you to Arras! We will be back!