“Twice the sushi size does not equate to twice the satisfaction”
Review of Sushi Tengoku

Sushi Tengoku
Ranked #1,903 of 6,035 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Given the sushi meat to rice ratio was 2:1, I was not satisfied with the presentation nor the quality of the sushi. The nigiri/sushi were breaking down as you dig into them due to the massive weight of the meat on the rice. Suffice to say, the only gratifying thing about the place was their genmaicha and service. I found the place to be overpriced as well. For a 'thick' cut of salmon sashimi, you are paying $2.50, however in Umi Kaiten for example, a 'thin' cut of salmon sashimi would be $1.40. In addition, I feel equally full but more satisfied with the quality of Umi Kaiten's sushi compared to Sushi Tengoku's.

I personally believe that sushi is a 'multi-factorial' food, whereby the rice & seaweed complements the meat. In the case of Sushi Tengoku, it seems like they are trying to make up for the obvious lack of quality with quantity. Suffice to say, I find the sushi gimmicky and I do not believe quantity to be a counter-measure for poor quality. Also, the Tempura Roll has more veges than prawn and the Volcano Maki was bad all round.

The environment is noisy but bearable as one would expect from such an establishment.

Finally, my advice for people wanting to sample this restaurant: Only head there if you are within the vicinity and are in the mood for some mediocre sushi. Otherwise, you're better off some place else.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

This restaurant is not like an Japanese restaurant. All of the staff is Indonesian and they treat customer very rude. The quantity of the food is big but the "quality" is very terrible. I will never comeback for the second time!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

There is usually a wait because it is a small restaurant so I would recommend to book ahead especially if going with more than 2 people.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just came home from a very disappointing time at Sushi Tengoku.
One of order did not come out. After waiting for 1 hour the waiter said that they run out, as if we were ushered to get out. Not even word of "sorry".
Very arrogant attitude and disappointing experience.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Came into the restaurant for takeaway late on a Tuesday night with the restaurant being almost empty. We ordered 3 sushi rolls and then were left to wait for approx 30 minutes while we watched customers who came in after us order and leave with their takeaway. No genuine apology was given and we were left dissatisfied with the service. My advice is never to pay up front and don't expect your order to arrive in a hurry. Personally after a similar dine in experience we won't be back.