“Good food, good value - ambiance not so much”

At Bangkok Restaurant
Ranked #464 of 5,997 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I noted this Thai restaurant (across the street from my hotel in a sort of arcade/food court ) was very popular each night I walked by with short lines of people waiting to be seated. Traveling alone I thought it seemed a casual place with a good number of "locals". I went after 8pm so it was less crowded but still plenty busy. I was seated and waited on immediately. Seats are really short stools that are not so comfortable for a big person like myself. Tables are close together and it's pretty loud. The menu I had was old, ripped and needed replacement - not a big thing but if the restaurant is doing so well they can afford to have new menus. There is a very good selection of Thai dishes that are not too expensive ( many less than $ 20) by Sydney standards and some very interesting looking desserts. I had the green curry with chicken and white rice that was delicious. Perfectly spiced (made my nose run) and plenty of food - no room for dessert.

Eating alone was fine there and service was quick and efficient. Although the decor looks nice in the pictures, don't expect a very fancy place. It's more "fast food-like" that is situated in a open-air portion of a walk through arcade with a number of other restaurants in the same internal area. Looking for a good, tasty, quick meal but not worried about the noise or ambiance? Then I would recommend at Bangkok. Want a quiet, elegant Thai meal - look elsewhere.

There are newer reviews for At Bangkok Restaurant

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is an excellent restaurant that stays full. It is not as good as Chat Thai but it is worth a visit.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This restaurant has the best food,we ate here before going to the Lion King,the food was fresh and served quickly,was also reasonably priced,was a bit noisy,but still worth going.Would highly recommend,has an extensive menu,with plenty of choice.

1  Thank Trishhol
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Looking for somewhere to eat on a Sunday eve and I stopped by this eatery...It was the menu that attracted me first, extensive and with many dishes that I had not experienced before - and I have lived in Bangkok...and then the diners...most of the them were Thai - always a good indication as the Thais love their food, and are very particular about where they dine. This was a real find... nothing special in terms of atmosphere...and certainly not a restaurant for a first date or out to impress...but for foodies....Great flavours..If you are looking for the taste of authentic Thai cuisine you will not be disappointed... this is Thai as it is meant to be...awesome flavours and balance...very limited but reasonably priced wine list...

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This place has great food bit loud at night and sometimes you have to wait. Open till late best to go at lunch time not as many people. I eat here a lot and prefer lunch time, enjoy it more