“Cheap and cheerful enough”

Lord Wolseley Hotel
Lord Wolseley Hotel
Ranked #30 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful enough”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here for a week and thought it was alright. The place is dated and the facilities needed upgrading (not much of a kitchen) as the bedroom looked really old and shabby. It was comfortable enough and we found it to be quiet. Pretty good location too. Not bad considering we hadn't paid much for our stay. The staff were friendly and provided us with a great map of Sydney. The food in the cafe to the side of the bar was pretty tasty and cheap too.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megmagmog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel is really a pub with rooms. We had an en suite room which I can only describe as adequate. The bed linen was way past its best and needed replacing. The paintwork on the outside of the building was peeling and needs renovation. Our room and the corridor it was on had recently been repainted so a plus there. Sleep quality was very poor since the people in the room directly above ours insisted on moving furniture about every five minutes nearly all night. Management need to sort this and quickly. With a little bit of thought and effort this accommodation could be turned into a decent hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irving And Wend... M

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here for about 2 weeks while I tried to find more permanent accommodation in Sydney. Very reasonably priced for what you get. The dorms were very cramped: they were about 4x3m, with 3 bunk beds, so not a lot of space elsewhere. Carpets were really dirty, but by the time I left they were changing them and re painting the whole floor, so I guess that's better now. I had a little bit of issues with a fellow guest where she would complain if I moved in my sleep because the bunks are really noisy and flimsy. Small kitchen and small bathrooms, but you really don't need more, so that was fine.
Service was fine-ish. Overall they were polite, but a little bit disorganized. I had a misunderstanding with my reservation so had to leave a night earlier than planned and they thought I hadn't paid my stay. Took me a little bit to make them realize I had paid, but the staff never updated their database.
All in all, fair price, great location, quiet place and some really nice guests.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
tel aviv
Reviewed 9 March 2012

IF to put the service part asisde - it's worth the money. The location is ok and the rooms are large. It is above a bar so it is rather noisy in the evening (especially when there is live music on). However the service was so unfriendly that it topped any good emotions we might have had. Started with them not answering a mail regarding how to reach them. Continued with a promise from them to book a shuttle to the airport which was not fullfilled, which forced us to look for other options in the middle of the night. And furthermore they weren't taking any responsibility for that- "just take a taxi" was their response (even though we already paid for the shuttle).

Room Tip: The rooms are above the bar, so the upper floor should be better (quitter).