“A Mixed Bag”
Review of The Good Filo

The Good Filo
Get food delivered
Ranked #247 of 515 Quick Bites in Sydney
Description: Under New Management, The Good Filo serves delicious Greek Inspired all day breakfast Wed-Sun, Lunch, Savoury pastries like Tiropita, Spanakopita, wonderful traditional dishes like Moussak, Pastitsio, Gemista (stuffed capsicum), amazing sweets including Sydney’s best Bougatsa, Mille Feuille, Greek sweets including take home trays and international sweets. Match this with our great coffee, including traditional Greek Frappe, Freddo Cappuccinos, Freddo Espressos, shakes, smoothies, and a wide range of hot drinks. We pride ourselves on friendly, warm, welcoming service and look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Have visited The Good Filo to get takeaway before and enjoyed the food, so we decided to go there for lunch the weekend before last and eat in. It started well - we got parking right out the front and the guy on the door was really friendly and welcoming and got us a table straight away.

Once you get a table, you need to go to the counter to order, and the lines can get quite long. The staff seem to be in a hurry and are quite short when explaining what dishes are - which is sometimes necessary when your customers aren’t greek. I get that it’s busy, but a couple of extra seconds with customers would go a long way in making them feel like there is care and the business appreciates them spending their money there.

Anyway, the food was nice - on the day we visited, there were some of the traditional dishes not available that we were hoping to get - no moussaka or pastitsio - and when we asked if they were available, we were told they weren’t, and it’s whatever the chef feels like cooking on the day.

Because what we were after wasn’t available, we ended up getting a few pastries and then some desserts. The spanakopita and the other pastries we got were hot and just out of the oven - which was good - and the Galaktoboureko croissant and bougatsa were both yum! Their delivery to the table, however, wasn’t great, with plates slammed down both times by the waitress who turned away and exited before we could ask for cutlery or anything else.

We did manage to get the manager’s attention and enquired about pre-ordering a tray of pastitsio to pick up - we were told it was $90 - and when my friend asked for some further details and the number to call to order, the manager looked pretty annoyed that he had to spend a minute at our table, and walked away yelling, it’s on the website, have a look there. Like I said earlier, a little bit of care would go a long way - we ended up ordering food from somewhere else that gave us a bit better service.

Couple of other things about The Good Filo, the music is really loud, and combined with the passing traffic on the main road, and everyone else in the cafe needing to yell to be heard, it can make conversations a little difficult.

Would also be nice if the air conditioning was turned on during the hot weather - we were there on a day that was 35 degrees and it was pretty uncomfortable - due to all the doors being opened combined with the heat from the kitchen.

The uncovered food in the windows was also attracting flies which were landing on various dishes - sort of takes away your appetite - and your desire to come back - wondering if those same flies have been crawling all over your food...

All in all, the food is nice, but it seems to be the customer service and ambience that need to be worked on - a little finesse can go a long way when you are dealing with the public.

As for me, not sure whether I’ll go back to The Good Filo due to the customer service, which is a shame, because I did enjoy the food.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

On approach was greeted by friendly staff .. my boys could or choose as it had such a great range of sweets and savouries so we got a mix .. great food so fresh and authentic ..my coffee was perfect .. great Greek experience for my kids to be part of and they are already asking to go back . great atmosphere too and very clean .. was impressed and will return.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We went here on our daughter's advice. Very popular- we got a table for 6 including high chair quite quickly but after us people were queueing for a table. Pretty authentic Greek pastries and lots of wicked looking sweets. Sunday morning obviously a peak time, but service quite fast and efficient. Excellent coffee, especially the Greek coffee- just like in Greece! Overall a very enjoyable experience except for our son in law who is dairy intolerant- very little on the menu to suit him.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Was not too busy at about 9.45am on the Sun I went. Ordered some food to take away. I first waited about 15min. After seeing that other people that ordered after me received their order, my daughter asked the pickup counter how our order was progressing. She simply got a "is coming". After about another 10min, I was fed up and went up to check myself. I could then see the waiter talking to the people who prepare orders. It was obvious they had forgotten about my order and were preparing it at that time. I understand that this can happen but what was not right was that we did check after 15min and that there was no apology or any thing else offered. When I finally got the food and asked "what happened", the waiter simply ignored me and went back to his business. Unpleasant takeaway experience to say the least!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Worth visiting if your searching for authentic taste of cakes , pastries and coffee made just as good if not better than some places in Greece