“Disgraceful”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #48 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the moment I walked into the "hotel", I was disgusted. It looked dirty, had an awful smell and the reception staff member was less than delightful. She could barely be bothered to look me in the eye. Each level I went up (I was staying on the 4th floor), I became more and more offended by this accommodation. Once the smell of urine and mould passed my nose, I saw several bags of laundry sitting in the halls (about 10 outside my door), mattresses in the lounge area, a SHARPS CONTAINER in the KITCHEN (!!!) and the most unclean carpets I have ever seen. I cannot believe that this hotel passes any kind of standard, as I think the bags of laundry are a fire hazard and a personal injury hazard. This hotel needs a health inspector at the very least. I have stayed in a lot of places for my work, but this is BY FAR the worst I have ever had the displeasure of staying in. Never, ever again. And as for false advertising - how can they put those nice pictures on the internet when they do not represent the actual rooms?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank burtie2525

Reviewed 17 November 2013

After reading the reviews for this hotel on this website, i was a bit worried as i couldnt change my booking. However, it was no where as bad as the reviews described it. The standard double bedroom was smallish but ok for two
guests. The room wasnt stinky or anything but the carpet could do with a clean. Bathroom desperately needed more
ventilation. Minimal noise levels. Our room was at the top floor but the stairs didnt bother us too much. I took it positively by taking it as an exercise. Overall, not a bad place to stay if you are on a budget and the location is great. I would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2013

For the price we paid, it's definitely not worth it. We stayed in room 305 and it smelled really awful (gunky smell). We could hardly sleep because of the smell. I was wondering where the gunky smell was coming from and found lots of mould underneath the bed, carpet most especially underneath the headboard. I am not exaggerating. I took pictures to prove it. I went down to the lobby and asked them to clean it, but played on deaf ears. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. The lady at the front desk really had an attitude as if we owe it to them for staying at this Hotel. We asked for directions to Paddy's Market and you can tell by her expression how unwilling she was. She was very unhelpful. She was more interested in her iPhone.

There was a lady by the name of Hisoka who was very polite and helpful and always smiling. She even recommended where to go and what to see. I really commend her. We were really disappointed staying at this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garbil
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Three of my mates and I made the horrible mistake of staying in this absolutely disgusting excuse for a hotel.
The room was a "family room", small, smelly, dirty and just plain horrible!
The beds felt like concrete.
I had a shocking nights sleep due to being attacked by what I can only imagine were some sort of bed bugs and am now covered in itchy bites, as is my mate who actually had to remove one from under the skin of his thigh!
The in room facilities were a disgrace, coffee tray and mugs were dirty and scroungy, the fridge was full of uncleaned stains, the floor had dirty marks all over it.

Do not stay at this place they should be inspected, reported and shut down.
Depressing is a word that comes to mind upon entry to City Lodge and I left the place feeling dirty, itchy and very unhappy indeed!!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose any room here, trust me!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ash S
Reviewed 28 July 2013

As a resort manager I had high expectations from what the website had displayed. We had booked this hotel for my friends birthday.. we where shocked when we arrived. The receptionist was rude, no uniform and seemed more interested in her iPhone. We had booked the family room which was meant to be there "best room".... I honestly can't imagine what the other standard rooms where like if the room I booked was the best. You could barely move around, the walls where putrid, carpet looked 20 years old, our view was a wall, 1 window in the whole two rooms, and a bathroom that locked you in if you closed the door. How they have a star rating is beyond me, the place should be shut down.

I would never recommend this to anyone, and we will never stay again.

Room Tip: There was no fitness centre or pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bianca H
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Ugly, depressing room.
Terrible bed, terrible :(
Unpleasant smell.
Stained, dirty carpet.
Tacky drapes
Pubic-like hair in shower. Ew!
Christmas decoration in June (!)
Semi-naked people in communal areas.
Rude, unpolite staff at the reception.

Excellent location.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Melb7510
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Arrived after 11 PM after a 24 hour flight, reception closed. Found key in envelope, entered my room and was shocked: small, dirty, absolutely NOT as in the pictures. In addition, it is unsafe (open cabinets with fuses; a guy in underwear in the living (I am woman traveling alone), I went out again and found another hotel room, after roaming the streets between 12 and 1 AM, in a fully booked Sydney. Went back the next day to cancel the reservation, only to run into a very moody receptionist. I had to tell them myself that I was entitled to a refund of the last night as that was more than 72 hours away (another stupid rule, this 72 hour cancellation: every self respecting hotel has a 24 hour cancellation time). To make long story short: NEVER EVER book this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: "Never ever book this hotel"
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business